Author Topic: Better Than I Ever Hoped  (Read 5166 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Better Than I Ever Hoped
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 12:14:38 AM »

<<But muilti tasking as mildly as this probly is a good point for BHO to make , and McCain probly does know that the campaign continues no matter what he is doing.>>

I'm not getting your point and in fact I'm not even sure I know what this means.

This is because you are not accustomed to me saying you are right.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 12:17:57 AM »
Perhaps you are unaware of how they vote in the Congress. A senator who wants to vote FOR an item, but cannot appear to vote, calls another senator who will vote AGAINST, and they both agree that neither of them will vote. The net result is that the vote will be the same as it would have been had both been present to vote.

In any event, it would be entirely possible for both McCain and Obama to vote and still attend the debate.

This is just another McCain stunt.

On this issue?

I would hate to have to explain to my constituants this way , why I missed the vote of the year.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2008, 09:04:30 AM »
Perhaps you are unaware of how they vote in the Congress. A senator who wants to vote FOR an item, but cannot appear to vote, calls another senator who will vote AGAINST, and they both agree that neither of them will vote. The net result is that the vote will be the same as it would have been had both been present to vote.

Must be how Democrats vote. I wouldn't trust the guy that wanted to vote against me to not show just on his word.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 09:07:33 AM »
<<This is because you are not accustomed to me saying you are right.>>

ROTFL.  You're right.  I was floored.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 09:11:38 AM »
<<Must be how Democrats vote. I wouldn't trust the guy that wanted to vote against me to not show just on his word.>>

Cross another legislator just once in your life on a deal like that and you'll never get another one.  Works for both sides of the aisle.  Works here too.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
Must be how Democrats vote. I wouldn't trust the guy that wanted to vote against me to not show just on his word.

+++++++++
Everybody does this, and they do it all the time. If you fail to do as promised, no one will ever work with you again on anything ever again, not even members of your own party.

You will be shunned like an Amish who drove up in a Hummer chatting on his cellphone.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 11:36:47 AM »
Everybody does this, and they do it all the time.

Funny, I've seen plenty of vote tallies from Congress that show an odd number of absentee votes. Seems like they're not doing it consistently.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 12:29:17 PM »
Funny, I've seen plenty of vote tallies from Congress that show an odd number of absentee votes. Seems like they're not doing it consistently.

I would be surprised if they were. Not all votes are critical to all congresspeople. A bill on sugarbeet research might not be too critical to a senator from Rhode Island, where there are no sugarbeets (for example).

Maple syrup is not ever a likely issue for a senator from Mississippi, either.

Besides here is how it works. The positions of the Senate are known. 46 for, 54 against. Senator Smedley would vote for it, but he swallowed a golf ball and can't make it, so he calls up Senator Blowhard. Senator Blowhard is against it, so he agrees either not to vote or to vote present instead of 'nay'

Now the vote is 45 for, 53 against. If senator Blowhard abstains, it's 44 for, 54 against, 1 abstention. The bill is defeated as it would have been had Smedley not swallowed his golf ball.

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2008, 02:32:33 PM »
The latest McCain stunt is proof positive and unmistakable that all their dirty tricks, their lies, their smears, their evasions, have failed and failed utterly.

John Insane's proposal to avoid the scheduled debate "to work on the financial crisis" smacks of desperation and panic in a way that I've never seen in any Presidential campaign in my life.&nbsp; Probably a combination of Sarah Palin plus "the fundamentals are strong" has the senile criminal bastard on the ropes and his private polling and maybe the panicked and frantic demands of party bosses are now demanding a time out.&nbsp; They KNOW how these debates are going to turn out.

I've followed Presidential campaigns since the 1952 "I Like Ike" one and honestly this is the first time I've seen one in such a state of free-fall that the candidate is already baling.&nbsp; But I'm agonizing over the possibility that Obama may fall for it.&nbsp;

Third straight day Obama has lost ground in the Gallup poll. As they say, don't count your chickens....

PRINCETON, NJ -- John McCain has gained ground and is now tied with Barack Obama among registered voters in the latest Gallup Poll Daily tracking update for Sept. 22-24, with each candidate getting 46% support.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/110668/Gallup-Daily-Race-Back-Tie-46-Each.aspx
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2008, 05:38:52 PM »
Does that mean the pom poms go on the bench, or is it the other sides turn to cheer:

We're Great
You Suck
Rah Rah Rah

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2008, 09:43:27 AM »
Does that mean the pom poms go on the bench, or is it the other sides turn to cheer:

We're Great
You Suck
Rah Rah Rah

That depends how the polls look at the end of the week.

I remain comfortable with my prediction McCain will win the election.
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2008, 09:58:10 AM »
Are you comfortable with a guy who says the Wall Street crisis is far too important to attend a debate, but who doesn't read the important bill, and then just sits there and says nothing in the meeting?

Why?

Is the sort of clown we need running the country?

richpo64

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2008, 04:30:52 PM »
>>Are you comfortable with a guy who says the Wall Street crisis is far too important to attend a debate, but who doesn't read the important bill, and then just sits there and says nothing in the meeting?<<

Any idea if Barry read it?

I know you think you've scored a point here however, I recall hearing lots of pols admitting to not having read a propasol (it wasn't a bill at the time) at all, or just parts of it. Most rely on staffers to do the heavy reading and then giving them a summary of pieces of the bill they deem to be good or bad. I'm sure he's read it now anyway. when he was asked he hadn't seen it yet. So what? Also, I prefer a business partner who shuts up and listens before opening his mouth.