Author Topic: McCain Suspending Campaign  (Read 7026 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: McCain Suspending Campaign
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 08:40:51 PM »
the cancelled debate was the foreign policy debate
yeah i'm sure Senator McCain was sooooooo scared to debate with Obama on foreign policy  ::)
chuckle chuckle chuckle chuckle chuckle chuckle

So now, he wants to reschedule the debate on NEXT Thursday when the VP debate was supposed to happen and then delay that debate indefinitely.

How stupid do you have to be to believe that he's a statesman out to "do the right thing"?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 08:58:54 PM »
So now, he wants to reschedule the debate on NEXT Thursday when the VP debate was supposed to happen and then delay that debate indefinitely.

How stupid do you have to be to believe that he's a statesman out to "do the right thing"?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You can almost hear the party bosses coming up with this proposal.

Exlobbyist 1: We have a problem. We have peaked too soon and have started to crash. The polls say we're doomed.

Exlobbyist 2: Sarah Palin is another problem. She puts her foot in her mouth every time she opens it, and comes up blank at every difficult question. There are several species of poodle that know more about foreign policy than she does. If she has to debate Biden, she's going down.

Exlobbyist 3: What we need to do is to grab the spotlight again.

Exlobbyist 1: We need to do something about this Wall Street mess. I know! Let's postpone the debate!

Exlobbyist 2: Let';s make it look like John knows something about economics and is working oh so hard!

Exlobbyist 3: Yeah! That's the ticket! Let's say he has to go back to DC and postone it until....until...

Exlobbyist 2: The time scheduled for the  VP debate!, and then we can postpone the VP debate until...until...

Exlobbyist 1:... Forever! NO VP debate! Then we just use Palin as a photo opportunity!

Exlobbyist 2: High fives! High fives!

Exlobbyists 1,2 and 3: SLAP! SLAP! SLAP!

Lobbyists (in chorus):  Caviar and Champagne for all! Huzzah! Huzzah!
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 09:13:49 PM »
The rapid-fire proposals, each one more bizarre than the last.  We're seeing something I haven't seen in 50 years and don't expect to see again - - a campaign in total melt-down.

The Republican handlers can't figure out which of their two morons is gonna take the worse drubbing in the debates, or which drubbing will hurt them the most.  Laurel & Hardy are going to debate the Harvard Law School on national TV only now it's less than a week away and all efforts have to be focused on how to avoid this massive public humiliation.

Do they REALLY think the American people are so fucking dumb they can't figure out what's happening?  Or that they can spin their way out of this one?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 09:44:02 PM »
Lobbyists (in chorus):  Caviar and Champagne for all! Huzzah! Huzzah!

What, do these lobbyists meet at the Renn Faire?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 10:05:28 PM »
"Sarah Palin is another problem. She puts her foot in her mouth every time she opens it"

yeah sure XO

Biden asks a guy in a wheelchair to "stand up"
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRV5Y1JCGRI[/youtube]

Biden introduces "Barack America"
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTjlAd-GXM[/youtube]

Biden refers to Governor Sarah Palin as the "Lt. Governor of Alaska"
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUA8ehkjkHI[/youtube]

Biden misquotes Obama says "Combat Battalions instead of Brigades"
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-FJRJh_p_Q[/youtube]

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 11:32:59 PM »
Nothing new in your last post, Rich.  Obama never agreed to debate Insane as challenged.  Both candidates had agreed to the "standard three debates" in the fall, which the article refers to.  It's fair to say, however, that Obama did not take up Insane's challenge.

The scheduled Sept. 26 debate was booked and everyone awaiting it.  Until today there was no indication that Insane would pull out.

How you look at this or how I look at this is not very important.  I say that a lot of voters will look at this as a major default by Insane, which will be taken much more seriously than Obama's failing to rise to a challenge.  These debates are major and Insane is chickening out on a phony pretext.  IMHO, this is NOT gonna look good for him.

So why not six or ten debates?

My whole opinion of Barak H. Obama is based on magazine articles , blogs, news reports etc.

I would like to actually see him reacting in real time himself, he might not be my choice , but if he winns he will be my president .

I wish I knew him better.

McCain ought to be exposed to public scrutiny while questioned by his rival also , would BHO be up to that task?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 11:42:49 PM »
<<So why not six or ten debates?>>

That's overkill.  In six or ten dates I could figure out if I wanted to marry somebody.  To pick a President, especially when the contrast is as great as it is between Obama and McCain, three debates is plenty.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 11:47:12 PM »
<<So why not six or ten debates?>>

That's overkill.  In six or ten dates I could figure out if I wanted to marry somebody.  To pick a President, especially when the contrast is as great as it is between Obama and McCain, three debates is plenty.

I am tired of these insipid commercials which re nearly free of usefull information and are repeated much more than ten times per customer.

In a lot of debates there would grow a national consensus about which canadate was actually smarter , and it would be accurate in a way nothing elese can provide.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 11:47:36 PM »
should we start a thread called "CRAZY JOE BIDEN GAFFE OF THE DAY"

the latest Biden Gaffe!

JOE "GAFFE" BIDEN:
"After seven years, in which our senior diplomatic personnel were not allowed to make a single contact with Iranians, the Bush administration realized the absurdity of its own policy and sent our leading diplomat to Iran. The Assistant Secretary of State as he went to Tehran, sat down at the instruction of the President of the United States".

REALITY:
President Bush did not send an Assistant Secretary of State to Iran to sit down with anyone.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 11:49:22 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 12:05:09 AM »
REALITY: Reps of the US and Iran have met several times, to wit:

ike a frustrated in-law trying to reconcile a feuding couple, Iraq is hoping for a thaw in U.S.-Iran relations when representatives of the countries meet in Baghdad today.

Just getting the two to sit at the same table is a breakthrough, considering how unlikely the possibility seemed weeks ago. But analysts warn against unreasonable expectations. At best, they say, this first date is a chance to chip away at some of the ice coating Washington-Tehran relations, which became even frostier after the U.S. accused Iran of sending bombs to Iraqi Shiites attacking U.S. troops.

“That’s useful in and of itself,” said Jonathan Alterman of the Center for Strategic Studies in Washington. “Diplomacy is about processes, not successes. You get successes through processes.”

This process began in December, when the Iraqi government decided to invite regional foreign ministers to Baghdad for a security conference. It ballooned into a global gathering fraught with diplomatic baggage as Iraqi officials, not wanting to leave crucial players out of the loop, expanded the invitation list. In addition to Iraq’s neighbors and the United States, representatives of the permanent members of the U.N. Security Council and the Arab League also are attending.

The meeting is sure to highlight the tangled loyalties, resentments and suspicions in the region’s nations, which fear the spread of Iraq’s sectarian and ethnic strife as well as the continued flow of refugees.

The United States has sent David Satterfield, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice’s special advisor on Iraq, and U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad. Iran’s deputy foreign minister, Abbas Araghchi, is leading his country’s delegation.

Both countries remained coy about whether they would hold private talks. Neither has said they would seek them out, or that they would reject them.

Iraq’s deputy foreign minister, Labeed Abbawi, hinted that his country was hoping for movement in that direction. Although Iraq wants the conference to focus on its security, “maybe it will open up a constructive dialogue on other regional issues,” Abbawi said.

Talks with Iran and Syria were a key recommendation of the bipartisan Iraq Study Group in December. President Bush initially rejected the idea, and the White House insisted that attendance at this meeting did not constitute a shift in policy.

During a visit to Brazil on Friday, Bush said U.S. participation was aimed purely at helping Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki’s government.

“We’ll see how it goes, but I’m happy to have supported the prime minister’s request that this meeting take place,” he said.

Still, U.S. participation is seen by some as a major adjustment in Bush administration strategy.

“This meeting is incredibly important from a psychological point of view,” said Joost Hiltermann, a Middle East expert with the International Crisis Group in Amman, Jordan. Not only does it represent a sea change in U.S. policy, he said, it is bringing together neighbors who despite their differences want to see some good come to Iraq. “This is a very important basis for future talks.”

The U.S.-Iranian issue is just one of many dogging Maliki, who needs the help of his neighbors – mostly Sunni Arab states critical of his Shiite-led government – to rebuild Iraq.

They include Syria, an Iranian ally. The United States accuses it of fueling the violence in Iraq by allowing anti-U.S. insurgents to cross its border, and also of meddling in Lebanon’s affairs.

“Our message to the Syrians and Iranians won’t change” at the meeting, Bush said.

Other neighbors include Jordan and Saudi Arabia, Sunni-majority states that joined other Arab League nations Sunday in accusing Maliki of sidelining Iraqi’s Sunni Arab minority.

The league said it planned to use the conference to call for constitutional reforms to give non-Shiites more power, sparking angry responses from Iraq’s government and leading Shiite clerics.

Abdelaziz Hakim, considered Iraq’s most powerful Shiite political leader, alluded to the Arab League statement Friday in a speech to about 3 million Shiite pilgrims gathered for a religious festival in the city of Karbala. Hakim said the criticisms of the Iraqi government ignored the country’s accomplishments since the overthrow of Saddam Hussein’s Sunni-led regime, and he told other nations not to try to push Iraq around.

“We warn about the dangers of imposing special regional or international goals” opposed to what Iraq wants, Hakim said, a statement that added to concerns that sniping before the meeting could get things off to a rocky start.

Among some Iranians, there was deep suspicion of the United States’ motives in attending the conference. Iran has accused the United States of orchestrating the abduction of one of its diplomats in Baghdad last month, and it says the U.S. is unjustly holding several Iranians arrested in Iraq.

“We question the presence of the Americans,” Alaeddin Boroujerdi, head of the Iranian parliament’s National Security Committee, told an Iranian news agency Thursday. “That’s why we regard this conference with suspicion and pessimism.”

Some Iranians speculated that the meeting was designed to enable Sunni Arab allies of the United States to gang up on Iraq’s Shiite leadership.

“Given the makeup of the conference participants, there remains not even the slightest doubt that the conference has been prepared for the purpose of bringing in new players in the Iraqi affair, players who have a long history of support for the enemies of the Iraqi people and are considered among the regional satellites of the U.S.,” Hossein Shariatmadari, a columnist, wrote in the conservative Kayhan daily paper.

Iran, at odds with the United Nations over its nuclear enrichment program, covets the international recognition and legitimacy that could come with productive participation in the talks.

Like Iraq’s other neighbors, it is concerned about the possibility of Iraq’s refugees and sectarian strife spilling across the region.

Those concerns alone should be enough to spur conference participants to get along well enough this time to lay the groundwork for a second, higher-level meeting, analysts say.

“These countries realize they have a very fundamental shared interest. That is what brought them together in the first place,” Hiltermann said. “They need to build on that. It is going to be very difficult, but it’s better to have these discussions across the table than to have them sniping at each other behind the scenes.”
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 12:22:28 AM »
<<In a lot of debates there would grow a national consensus about which canadate was actually smarter , and it would be accurate in a way nothing elese can provide.>>

Yeah, well in an Obama-McCain or Biden-Palin debate, you should be able to see that national consensus develop about fifteen minutes into the first debate.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 12:29:30 AM »
<<In a lot of debates there would grow a national consensus about which canadate was actually smarter , and it would be accurate in a way nothing elese can provide.>>

Yeah, well in an Obama-McCain or Biden-Palin debate, you should be able to see that national consensus develop about fifteen minutes into the first debate.

This isn't the reason that Obama wants few rather than many oppurtunitys to face his rival.

Why does BHO now treat this "scheduled" debate as if it were important when he could have scheduled one twice a week if he had wanted to?

I think he wants to minimise the damage sure to accrue to his campaign if hecan't debate as well as McCain.

By the way do you have that remark about Annapolos being a "mere" military school and BHO being deans list at Harvard on a Macro?
You could save a lot of typeing.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 12:51:29 AM »
By the way do you have that remark about Annapolos being a "mere" military school and BHO being deans list at Harvard on a Macro?
You could save a lot of typeing.

-------------------------------------------------
The truth bugs you, doesn't it?  Really hurts to be reminded how smart Obama is and how dumb McCain is, eh?  Well, I shouldn't have to repeat it at all, but it seems to me it's something that is habitually ignored by the right wingers in the group and that it's something they really oughtta take into account.  If I got any sense from their anti-Obama ravings that Obama was an exceedingly brainy guy and that McCain was a fucking moron, then I wouldn't feel the need for the constant reminder.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 01:09:48 AM »
By the way do you have that remark about Annapolis being a "mere" military school and BHO being deans list at Harvard on a Macro?
You could save a lot of typing.

-------------------------------------------------
The truth bugs you, doesn't it?  Really hurts to be reminded how smart Obama is and how dumb McCain is, eh?  Well, I shouldn't have to repeat it at all, but it seems to me it's something that is habitually ignored by the right wingers in the group and that it's something they really oughtta take into account.  If I got any sense from their anti-Obama ravings that Obama was an exceedingly brainy guy and that McCain was a fucking moron, then I wouldn't feel the need for the constant reminder.

I am not ignoring it , I am gleefully laughing up my sleeve.

You seem to have no concept of Annapolis at all , getting in is tough , staying in is tougher , Harvard accepts students with much less qualification and does not run them ragged trying to wash them out . No dummy can graduate from Annapolis at all.

Do you know that a lot of our Presidents have been Harvard grads , but another good group came from the military Academies , these are institutions held in high esteem.

I note that BHO is not as often as he might repeating his deans list status in colledge , this is a good thing worth mention , but it isn't everything , so he doesn't want it to look like all that he has got.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 02:12:53 AM »
<<You seem to have no concept of Annapolis at all , getting in is tough , staying in is tougher , Harvard accepts students with much less qualification and does not run them ragged trying to wash them out . No dummy can graduate from Annapolis at all.>>

I don't buy any of that.  I  think it was BT who pointed out that they get in on a Congressman's recommendation.  McCain obviously got in because of his ancestry.   The best and the brightest want Ivy League.  Always been that way and always will be.

<<Do you know that a lot of our Presidents have been Harvard grads , but another good group came from the military Academies , these are institutions held in high esteem.>>

They get in because Americans love a man in uniform.  If they were picked by brainpower, you'd never see a military school graduate in the whole bunch.  Maybe the odd one - - Douglas MacArthur for example, but not many.