Author Topic: No conflict of interest here.....  (Read 4812 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
No conflict of interest here.....
« on: October 01, 2008, 03:21:02 AM »
.....right?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: No conflict of interest here.....
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 08:38:51 AM »
<<"You do your best to get candidates to answer your question. But I also trust the viewers to understand when questions are not answered and reach their own conclusions," Ifill told BlackAmericaWeb.>>

from the article itself:

<<"You do your best to get candidates to answer your question. But I also trust the viewers to understand when questions are not answered and reach their own conclusions," Ifill told BlackAmericaWeb.>>

In a similar vein, you could also trust the viewers to reach their own conclusion as to who won the debate if the moderator kept cutting off Palin but let Biden have all the time he needed to answer the same questions.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:21:27 AM »
Obama getting the nomination is a major accomplishment, and a major event in ther political history of the US. It is indisputable that this was done by the Democratic, not the Republican Party. Republicans hadthe same opportunity to fund JC Watts or Alan Keys, but they didn't. Either of these was as good a candidate as Tom Tancredo or the lazy actor, Fred Thompson, after all.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 04:29:56 PM »
Ifill should clearly recuse herself from the debate.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 04:35:53 PM »
Can you imagine Sean Hannity moderating a debate between Palin & Biden?  Can you imagine the appropriate flack that would get?  But this.....this perfectly acceptable.  Let the viewers judge for themselves.....AFTER the fact of course
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 04:58:25 PM »
Whiny, baby ass Republicans ... Jeezus H. Keerist on a crutch, either do your research beforehand or quitcherbitchin' when you get bit in the ass.

Ifill's book was no secret
Michael Calderone

Michelle Malkin and World Net Daily have made a lot of noise today about the fact the Gwen Ifill, the moderator of Thursday's VP debate, has a new book coming on Inauguration day about Barack Obama and the politics of race --  it's now leading on the front of Drudge. 

Fox's Greta Van Susteren reports that the McCain campaign didn't know about it.

"I am stunned?.the campaign (actually both) should have been told before the campaign agreed to have her moderate. It simply is not fair -- in law, this would create a mistrial."

But one didn't have to go the lengths of oppo research to find out about a book that was hiding in plain sight on Amazon and the Random house website.

Not to mention, Ifill discussed it with Howard Kurtz last month in the Washington Post, in the only profile she's done before the debate. (And I'd imagine someone in the campaign should have read it).

To the extent she can carve out any spare time, Ifill is working on a book called "Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama." She focuses on the Democratic nominee and such up-and-coming black politicians as Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and Newark Mayor Cory Booker.

"We're very lazy when we think about race in this country," Ifill says. "We try to put it in a box. It's Jesse versus Al, or Jesse and Al versus everyone else," she says, referring to Jackson and Sharpton. "We love simplistic conflict. There's a whole group of people who have Ivy League degrees and immense accomplishments who actually benefited from the things their parents were fighting for."

Regardless, the story's getting major play on cable news, especially Fox.

This morning with Bill Hemmer, Fox analyst Juan Williams spoke admirably of Ifill as a journalist but admitted that "it looks like she has some investment" in the outcome of the election, and that "there's a perception problem." The FoxNews.com headline:  "VP Debate Moderator Pens Pro-Obama Book."

I think Malkin and other critics have a right to raise questions about whether Ifill should be moderating, but at the same time, it's not as if the veteran PBS journalist has been keeping the book under wraps until now. It's also a logical question to ask whether an Obama book would sell better or worse depending on the outcome of the election. I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say that if Obama's sworn in on the Jan. 20 pub date, a book with "Obama" in the title will sell more copies.

Legitimate questions, indeed. So why is this coming up less than 36 hours before Palin and Biden hit the stage?

UPDATE: A spokesperson for PBS's NewsHour said that Ifill is en route to the debate in St. Louis. When asked whether Ifill might disclose that she's writing this book during the debate, the spokesperson said he had no knowledge that she would, and declined to comment further. I also have a call into the Commission on Presidential Debates, and will update if they have a comment.

UPDATE 2: McCain's first responses @ http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081001/pl_politico/22784
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 05:28:27 PM »
Good thing I'm not a Republican.  I might have taken offense to that last post

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 05:40:20 PM »
This is a bunch of BS!
An Obama worshiper as the debate host?
There should be no debate unless Sean Hannity is named the co-debate host.
1 Liberal Biased Host & 1 Conservative Biased Host = Fair
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 06:14:01 PM »
How was she chosen?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 06:23:47 PM »
Gwen Ifill is a professional news announcer. Hannity is just a dismal hack like Rush, O'Reilly and Coulter. I have not noticed any bias whatever in her announcing or the hosting of her Friday night show. The least you can do is give her a chance.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 06:34:36 PM »
.....right?

McCain doesn't seem to think so.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 06:47:06 PM »
Gwen Ifill is a professional news announcer. Hannity is just a dismal hack like Rush, O'Reilly and Coulter. I have not noticed any bias whatever in her announcing or the hosting of her Friday night show. The least you can do is give her a chance.

Her preference is showing, Chronkite had a very simular preference that he hid quite well untill he retired.

Would we rather know or not know?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 07:06:26 PM by Plane »

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 06:49:27 PM »
Um, she rights a book about race, politics and Obama and you ASSUME she loves Obama.  Last I heard, she's a big pal of one Condie Rice and a rightwinger.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 06:58:39 PM »
Simple follow-up...was the book pro-Obama, anti-Obama, or non-Obama?  And Last I heard, Mary Maitlan was still married to James Carville

Knutey

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 07:02:01 PM »
Um, she rights a book about race, politics and Obama and you ASSUME she loves Obama.  Last I heard, she's a big pal of one Condie Rice and a rightwinger.

Maybe that is because they know how pervasive their own prejudice is. Ifill ia at least 1000 better than these buffoons.