Author Topic: A plague on both their houses  (Read 8849 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A plague on both their houses
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 02:34:30 PM »
I don't think Palin is stupid, but she is ignorant. She does not lack the smarts to learn useful stuff, it's just that she hasn't done so.

Her accent would be okay, but to me it sounds phony, like she has been given lessons by one of the poorer dialect coaches from the movie industry.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 02:41:10 PM »
Can't help but notice that depending on what part of the country Obama is in, his inflection & dialect tend to lean to the area he's in.  Kinda how Gore would try to "talk black", when he was at a black church, or with some southern twang, when he was in Gerogia or the Carolinas, while campaigning.  Talk about phony
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 02:51:48 PM »
Can't help but notice that depending on what part of the country Obama is in, his inflection & dialect tend to lean to the area he's in.  Kinda how Gore would try to "talk black", when he was at a black church, or with some southern twang, when he was in Gerogia or the Carolinas, while campaigning.  Talk about phony

+++++++==================================
I didn't say Palin was a phony, I said she sounded phony. Like she drew a second-string voice coach.

The ability to authentically sound like one is from New York, New Jersey or Texas is a talent. Tom Hanks has played men from all around the country, and is quite good at getting the accent right. Politicians usually do not try to do this, because it annoys people like you who think that it is being phony. I don't see it as being any more phony than wearing a suit to a banquet in Manhattan and  a flannel shirt to the Legion Hall in Yakima.

When I go to Argentina, I try to sound like an Argentine, though my normal accent is Mexican.

Gore was not being phony.He is a pretty uptight speaker, but in recent years he has improved a lot. He has always been a superior human being to Juniorbush or Cheney.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:56:13 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 02:56:34 PM »
<<If it's consistent, then it's an accent.>>

Using that logic, a speech impediment would be an accent.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 03:05:39 PM »
<<I am surprised to see that you think Bill Clinton is a dumbass for not shaking that Arkansas accent.>>

I never noticed Clinton consistently dropping the final "g."   Can't imagine any well-educated Arkansan who would.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 03:14:27 PM »
I never noticed Clinton consistently dropping the final "g."   Can't imagine any well-educated Arkansan who would.

I don't believe i said anything about dropping "g's". Clinton does have a noticeable southern/arkansas accent. And because he didn't drop it, he must be a dumbass, in the world according to Knute.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 03:15:26 PM »
Using that logic, a speech impediment would be an accent.

Most speech disorders are inconsistent. BTW, it is estimated that only 5-10% of the population does NOT suffer from some sort of speech disorder. Most of those disorders are very minor, however.

If a person uses the same sounds consistently in their speech, it is an accent. You have an accent, I have an accent, Sarah has an accent. None of the three of use will sound completely like the other two, because we grew up in different locations and learned different languages and phrases growing up.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 03:17:54 PM »
Let's review:
FDR had an accent
Truman had an accent.
JFK had an accent
LBJ had an accent
Carter had an accent
Clinton had an accent

And they are all dumbasses according to Knute.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 03:27:41 PM »
+++++++==================================
I didn't say Palin was a phony, I said she sounded phony. Like she drew a second-string voice coach.  The ability to authentically sound like one is from New York, New Jersey or Texas is a talent.

Ahhh, let the rationalizations begin.  Palin, who consistently has the same accent, that doesn't change anywhere she goes, is deemed a phony.  Obama's ability to modify his dialect depending on where he is, is deemed a talent.  Nope, no kool-aide in that methodology      ::)

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 03:32:49 PM »
Palin - I know this is a very small objection, but would someone please tell this bimbo moron (bimbron??) that the "g" at the end of a present participle is NOT silent?

Actually, I did a bit of research on this. Apparently it's a feature of a variety of English known as "Hawaiian Pidgin", as well as a couple of Creole varieties. Sarah Palin spent some time going to school in Hawaii.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 03:34:35 PM »
Can't help but notice that depending on what part of the country Obama is in, his inflection & dialect tend to lean to the area he's in.  Kinda how Gore would try to "talk black", when he was at a black church, or with some southern twang, when he was in Gerogia or the Carolinas, while campaigning.  Talk about phony

It's not necessarily something he tries to do, or even is aware that he is doing. I can pick up an accent very quickly from people I'm talking to, and start using it myself, without knowing I am doing so. I try to watch out for it so that I don't do it, because some people get insulted and think they are being mocked, but sometimes it slips through. With his multicultural background, I'm not surprised he does it.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »
Still comes off as "phoney", H, vs a consistent accent one has anywhere they happen to be, that's being called "phoney" by her critics.  Nice rationalization effort though

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 03:52:42 PM »
t's not necessarily something he tries to do, or even is aware that he is doing. I can pick up an accent very quickly from people I'm talking to, and start using it myself, without knowing I am doing so. I try to watch out for it so that I don't do it, because some people get insulted and think they are being mocked, but sometimes it slips through. With his multicultural background, I'm not surprised he does it.

It's called mirroring and usually results in positive responses from your target audience. Sales guys use this tool all the time, and when you think of it politics is nothing but sales.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 03:55:32 PM »
Bingo......yet Palin is supposed to be the "phoney"  Go figure

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 03:59:10 PM »
...rationalization effort...

WTFO?
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016