Author Topic: Simple Truths  (Read 5831 times)

richpo64

Simple Truths
« on: October 06, 2008, 05:31:07 PM »
Simple Truths
What McCain needs to say on the stump.
by David Gelernter
10/06/2008 3:30:00 PM
http://www.weeklystandard.com/

McCain might break through the media fortress that protects independents from the truth if he'd repeat a small packet of information word-for-word at the end of every single speech. Soon crowds would anticipate these words and reporters would know them by heart, and they'd start making an impression on the country. Here are mine; but whatever words he chooses, he must start hammering home some simple truths right now.

1. Mr. Obama is the most liberal senator in Washington.

2. Like other liberal presidents, he'd load the Supreme Court with the most liberal judges he could find.

3. Like other liberal presidents, he'd spend tax dollars like they were going out of style--when the economy must have a steady, experienced, pork-hating hand at the wheel.

4. Like other liberal senators, Mr. Obama was prepared to surrender to terrorists in Iraq.

5. Like other liberal senators, he is the wrong man to protect your children against Russia, Iran, North Korea and al Qaeda in dangerous times.

6. I fought for responsible regulation of the mortgage merchants when the Democrats were against it. I don't just talk, I act.

7. My closest Senate colleague is a Democrat, Joe Lieberman. I don't just talk bipartisanship, I act.

8. I picked Sarah Palin because our country needs young leaders who don't just talk; who act.

9. I'll do what I know is right, no matter what China or Germany or the U.N. thinks. You can't protect this nation by talking. You have to act.

10. Don't judge me as a politician or speech-maker. Judge me as a man who is more than talk. I would lay down my life for this country.

David Gelernter, a WEEKLY STANDARD contributing editor, is a national fellow of the American Enterprise Institute and professor of computer science at Yale.

© Copyright 2008, News Corporation, Weekly Standard, All Rights Reserved. 

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Simple Truths
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 06:06:07 PM »
Joe Lieberman is a bogus Democrat.
Claiming dealing with him is bipartisanship is like merrying RuPaul and claiming you are straight.

People LIKE Liberals. They merely tax and spend, whereas Republicans borrow and squander.

Name just ONE occasion in real life where a president actually has had to  lay down his life for the country.
Think of all the maimed, blind, armless, legless vets of the Iraq War that would be whgole today if not for warmongering assholes like Juniorbush and McCain.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 06:07:27 PM »
No, I don't think those talking points are going to be much help to McCain.  Here's probably what any sane, rational, normal human being would want to reply:

1. Mr. Obama is the most liberal senator in Washington.

We know, that's why we're voting for him.

2. Like other liberal presidents, he'd load the Supreme Court with the most liberal judges he could find.

Oh, YAY!!! No more Clarence Thomas'?  No more Scalias?  How much better can it get?

3. Like other liberal presidents, he'd spend tax dollars like they were going out of style--when the economy must have a steady, experienced, pork-hating hand at the wheel.

So you're suggesting that we should pick one of the same old gang who sat there for thirty years in the U.S. Senate, a former member of the Keating Five, who accomplished absolutely NOTHING while this country got into the mess it's now in and put HIM in charge now?   Someone who'll put pork in its place - - in the military where it's always belonged?  Thanks but no thanks.

4. Like other liberal senators, Mr. Obama was prepared to surrender to terrorists in Iraq.

Time to get out of Iraq.  The "terrorists" only came to Iraq after the genius Bush, with the full support of that other genius, McCain, decided to invade Iraq because . . .  uh, because . .   uh, never mind, decided for some reason that made no sense to anyone but their neocon Zionist supporters to invade Iraq.

5. Like other liberal senators, he is the wrong man to protect your children against Russia, Iran, North Korea and al Qaeda in dangerous times.

And Martian invasions too.  Don't forget Martian invasions.  Maybe the best protection against people who have never attacked us yet is to stop pissing them off, and maybe the best protection against people who have attacked us is to stop pissing them off too.

6. I fought for responsible regulation of the mortgage merchants when the Democrats were against it. I don't just talk, I act.

I guess your leadership skills are pretty inadequate when after decades in the Senate, you weren't even able to convince your own party.  Why should anyone vote for a loser like you?

7. My closest Senate colleague is a Democrat, Joe Lieberman. I don't just talk bipartisanship, I act.

Bipartisanship is the problem not the solution.  Because of "bipartisan" ass-holes like you and Lieberman, we got ourselves a bipartisan war that is a fucking disaster, three trillion dollars, four thousand American lives, thirty thousand American wounded, hundreds of thousands of Iraqis dead and millions refugees, all for nothing.  Take your "bipartisanship" and blow it out your ass.  Please.

8. I picked Sarah Palin because our country needs young leaders who don't just talk; who act.

You picked a total fucking idiot, a bimbo barely able to memorize the talking points necessary to get her through a softball debate with a guy who was practically ordered to treat her with kid gloves and now if we were so unbelievably stupid as to vote you into office that cheerleader would be the commander in chief of our armed forces if your melanoma ever comes back for Round Four.  At the same time as you passed over Condoleeza Rice, Mitt Romney and other leaders a hundred times more qualified.  Thanks a lot, nimrod.

9. I'll do what I know is right, no matter what China or Germany or the U.N. thinks. You can't protect this nation by talking. You have to act.

That's what we're afraid of.  Now we've seen HOW you act:  "I'll cancel the debate.  No I won't.  I'll fire the head of the SEC.  No I can't.  I'll fire someone else who had nothing to do with it.  The fundamentals of the economy are strong.  We're in the worst crisis since WWII."  And on and on and on.  Please, Senator, just keep talking.  DON'T ACT.  Please.

10. Don't judge me as a politician or speech-maker. Judge me as a man who is more than talk. I would lay down my life for this country.

How about this, drama queen?  Instead of laying down your 72-year-old life for your country, just lay down your insane political ambition and retire to your eight homes and billionaire blonde wife.  Whatever made you think your wrinkled ass belonged in an Oval Office chair, forget it.  Please.  We need somebody in charge who is in touch with the real world, not some geezer who thinks the fundamentals of the economy are strong even as the roof is caving in over his head.  Somebody who DOESN'T want to be in Iraq for the next hundred years.  Get the picture?  Vamoose!  Scram!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 06:10:39 PM by Michael Tee »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 06:21:25 PM »
Well put, Tee.

I concur entirely. Except that the tax and spenders are nothing compared with the GOP borrow and squanderers.
Reagan, Olebush, Juniorbush: all ran up the debt and borrowed more from the Chinese. How could that be a good thing?

If you piss the money away on healthcare or even welfare queens, at least it stays in the country. Piss it away in Iraq and lots of it has gone bye-bye, forever. Some actually goes to terrorists, for sure.

richpo64

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 06:32:59 PM »
Once again you're given a look at the Obama supporters.

Do you need anymore reason to vote for McCain?

these are the people who support Obama and the democrat party. Take a good look.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 06:36:38 PM »
If you piss the money away on healthcare or even welfare queens, at least it stays in the country. Piss it away in Iraq and lots of it has gone bye-bye, forever. Some actually goes to terrorists, for sure.

Well, Obama already plans on sending an additional $800+B to other countries.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 06:44:57 PM »
Over how long a period?

For what purpose? I am guessing not for weaponry and colonial takeovers.

On a per capita basis, the US is one of the stingiest nations on the planet.

We'd rather let 'em starve, then invade them when they elect someone we don't like.

richpo64

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 06:47:57 PM »
>>Over how long a period? For what purpose? I am guessing not for weaponry and colonial takeovers.<<

Didn't I say they have no idea what he stands for?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 06:49:53 PM »
On a per capita basis, the US is one of the stingiest nations on the planet.

Where do you get this notion?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 06:51:58 PM »
<<Once again you're given a look at the Obama supporters.>>

Thanks, Rich.  I'm very flattered.  Sorry only that I can't vote for him.

<<Do you need anymore reason to vote for McCain?>>

There's only one reason to vote for McCain.  Only one.  Either you're a part of the solution or you're a part of the problem.

<<these are the people who support Obama and the democrat party. Take a good look.>>

Sure.  Take a REAL good look.  And while you're at it, take a good look at McCain as well.  You won't be seeing his sorry ass around much longer. 

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 06:53:36 PM »

There's only one reason to vote for McCain.  Only one.  Either you're a part of the solution or you're a part of the problem.

Just one?

His war heroism?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 07:02:38 PM »
Just one?

His war heroism?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If it hadn't been for McCain, we surely would have lost in Vietnam. Wait: we DID lose.

If he had grown a Fidel style beard and rhumba'ed about the room on primetime TV with Jane Fonda, it would have changed not one thing about the war. It would still have been a mistake, and it still would have been ingloriously lost. There just might not have been a Senator McCain.

Big Whoop.

The old fart still insists that Vietnam was a noble and winnable cause.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
                                           -George Santayana
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 08:10:25 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 07:05:33 PM »
Just one?

His war heroism?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If it hadn't been for McCain, we surely would have lost in Vietnam. Wait: we DID lose.

If he had grown a Fidel style beard and rhumba'ed about the room on primetime TV with Jane Fonda, it would have changed not one thing about the war. It would still have been a mistake, and it still would have been ingloriously lost. There just might not have been a Senator McCain.

Big Whoop.

The old fart still insists that Vietnam was a noble and winnable cause.

-George Santana

Depends on what you want to learn.
Perhaps we learned the mistakes that made us loose .

Perhaps VietNam has learned that they lost more than ever stood to gain.

The opposition to the forceable imposition of Communism was entirely noble and was a cause populated heavyly with idealists.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 07:07:39 PM »
                                           -George Santana

George Santana is a musician, and this quote predates him. I think you mean George Santayana, the philosopher.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
<<Just one [reason to vote for McCain]?

<<His war heroism?>>

If I'm not mistaken, Kerrey had more medals than McCain, so according to your reasoning, more reasons to vote for Kerrey than McCain.

Besides, he doesn't sound so heroic to me.  Drops napalm, probably on civilian targets.  Never has to face aerial combat with other jets.  Basically bombing Third World people without a functioning air force to protect them.  Gets shot down, spills his guts out to the "enemy" and even makes propaganda broadcasts for them, then comes home and concocts some phony story about being "tortured" which even his own jailer, finally located in Viet Nam, has denied.  Presumably because both his father and grandfather were U.S. admirals, he was never court-martialed for his antics.

You're gonna make me sick.  I lived next door to a REAL war hero.  And I am honoured to have as a friend, a former Royal Marine Commando, who served in three theatres of operations in WWII and could write a fucking book.  Do me a big favour, please:  DON'T mention McCain and war heroism in the same sentence, OK?