Author Topic: California Prop 8  (Read 4379 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: California Prop 8
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 03:14:08 PM »
it doesn't make sense to me, but I was hoping that someone here would be able to explain why we WOULD vote for any amendment that restricts a sub class...

Does an amemdment defining marriage restrict a subclass?
or does it simply define marriage?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 03:18:28 PM »
Precisely.  As far as I can tell, there's no restrictions to anything 2 gay individuals might wish to do, with getting hitched.  Simply that it's not called a marriage.  But the 2 can still arrange for full legal support to each other, benefits, the works.  I'm not sure what the problem is, outside of the usual sematic political correctness trying to ride roughshot over traditional Christian morals
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 03:29:45 PM »
I'm not sure what the problem is, outside of the usual sematic political correctness trying to ride roughshot over traditional Christian morals

You mean roughshod, as in wearing extreme terrain footwear. shod is derived from the word "shoe".

I don't think that many gays are asking to be treated as married couples because they want to offend Christians at all. I suppose some Christians see it that way, but martyrdom and victimhood are an integral part of all the desert religions.

I do not think that the IRS allows gay couples the possibility to claim one another as dependents as is the case with married couples, even in states where they can marry. Hospitals allow visitation based on hospital policy, rather than the law. No one should have to call in the police in cases like this, but I am sure it has happened.

Does the church own the word "married" like the Coca-Cola company owns the word "Coke"? I do not think that this is the case. Why not just let people do as they wish? It harms no one, at least other than themselves.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 03:54:09 PM »
Best try to avoid being some queen spelling nazi, when you can't even be honest enough to answer a direct question, or at minimum, apologize for being a tad hyperbolic in you accusations
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 04:32:15 PM »
You did not ask a question.

I said nothing even mildly hyperbolic.

I apologize for nothing.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 04:35:38 PM »
I did

You did

Your choice, your credibility

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 05:48:10 PM »
You are delusional about these "questions" of yours.

I fear you would not recognize a hyperbole if one bit you on the pattootie.

Were I capable of creating such a hyperbole, I would do so.

Alas, there are no hyperboles with teeth or even better, fangs.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 06:16:42 PM »
Not questions, just 1 question.  And of course, you couldn't answer it because you wouldn't have been able to find a quote to back up your asinine insinuation/accusation

Glad we got this cleared up

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 06:54:56 PM »
THERE WAS NO QUESTION.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 07:14:55 PM »
Sirs: And please, can the Obamamites explain how increasing taxes on precisely the enterprises that create jobs, (medium <--> large corporations, medium <--> large businesses), and create much of the money this economy makes, is a "good thing"??, in light of the current economic condition of this country    Huh
===================================================================================
Xo: Of course, only those who have so little and earn so little that they cannot open businesses should be taxed.

Care to cite the quote that even implies such, much less advocates such??

Now, wish to destroy another one of your claims?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »
The purpose of taxes is not to create jobs. The purpose of taxes is to raise money for the government to survive on. If the government merely prints more, then we have inflation.

At no point has Obama said that the purpose of taxes is to create jobs. There are ways other than giving the filthy rich tax breaks to create jobs. The Gramin Bank idea works in Third World countries, and might work here.

If we do not tax the people who have most of the money, and someone must be taxed, and they must, then who will it be? Those who lack enough money to start a business. It is as I said. Follow the model of Louis XVI. That is a valid answer to a poorly conceived question.

It is also a totally false assumption that people who make $250,000 in salary are in fact the same people who start small businesses. Most of them are executives who have no time to do this.

If you cannot afford to pay KFC for a franchise and still wish to sell fried chicken, you can come up with your own plan. Any business that has a prospective customer base will be successful if it delivers the proper service or product as desired.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 07:28:15 PM »
The purpose of taxes is not to create jobs. The purpose of taxes is to raise money for the government to survive on. If the government merely prints more, then we have inflation.

At no point has Obama said that the purpose of taxes is to create jobs. There are ways other than giving the filthy rich tax breaks to create jobs. The Gramin Bank idea works in Third World countries, and might work here.

If we do not tax the people who have most of the money, and someone must be taxed, and they must, then who will it be? Those who lack enough money to start a business. It is as I said. Follow the model of Louis XVI. That is a valid answer to a poorly conceived question.

It is also a totally false assumption that people who make $250,000 in salary are in fact the same people who start small businesses. Most of them are executives who have no time to do this.

If you cannot afford to pay KFC for a franchise and still wish to sell fried chicken, you can come up with your own plan. Any business that has a prospective customer base will be successful if it delivers the proper service or product as desired.

Taxes and and do destroy employment .

BHO says he will lower taxes on more of us than actually pay taxes , but he plans to raise taxes on the rest.

How could this possibly result in anything but greater unemployment?

Right now our unemployment has risen to be fully half of France's unemployment rate.

Can we bear to put up a fully French ujemployment rate?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 07:38:23 PM »
Can we bear to put up a fully French ujemployment rate?
===============================================

No, since we do not have France's unemployment benefits. I question your statistics, by the way.

Only 2% of the population makes over $250K in salary. A much, much smaller number of these people actually create new businesses. If they want the business to grow, they can pay themselves less than $250K in salary and probably squeak by somehow.

You have been listening to ratwing radio too much and it has affected your thought processes.

richpo64

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 08:26:59 PM »
>>Only 2% of the population makes over $250K in salary.<<

I know it's a waste of time but .... source?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 11:28:17 PM »
This figure was in Newsweek in the last issue.