Author Topic: Carter Nails It - - All Bush's Fault  (Read 9987 times)

crocat

Re: Carter Nails It - - All Bush's Fault
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2008, 06:20:36 PM »
>>Carters an ass.... of course many were not around when his cure to the economy was to put a wage freeze on us poor working stiffs.<<

Bingo.

Gas lines, 16 percent credit. The Soviet Union pissing all over us. Who did ole Jimma blame? Why America of course. It's a reoccurring theme with democrats.

Thank goodness for Reagan and his trickle down theory

richpo64

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2008, 06:34:20 PM »
>>Thank goodness for Reagan and his trickle down theory<<

Yup. Reagan was my first presidential election. Most people went by the ABC rule. Anybody but Carter. I'm guessing we'll have a similiar rebellion in 2012. If there's anything left.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2008, 06:52:47 PM »
I think I'm seeing a very selective application of the principles of business competition from our right-wing friends on this board.  Apparently, if taxes are raised on those earning over $250,000, they just won't go on expanding their business and creating new jobs.  So the whole country is really a hostage to "the rich" because they have to be incentivized with low taxes to be productive and create jobs.

Well, guess what?  If there's a real need for a product or service and Mr. Rich Guy doesn't think it's worth his while to fill that need, somebody else who's satisfied with a lower profit margin WILL.  There is no Iron Rule of Business that every businessman has to earn $250,000 minimum.  If some guy making $250,000 won't stay in the game because of tax increases eating away his net income, somebody else will be happy to step into his shoes for $75,000 instead.  That's what competition is all about.  Some on the right seem to grasp the principle easily enough when a working wage is being discussed, but just can't seem to get their head around the idea that it also applies to profit margin and CEO compensation as well.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2008, 07:07:25 PM »
The $250K is on personal income. If someone owns a successful business and wants it to grow, he would take $249,999.99 in salary and a nice company car and leave the rest with the company, to give it capital to grow with, and to limit by doing this interest on loans.

Anyone who can't make it on $250,000 a year is not much of a businessman anyway. I am pretty sure that most of our resident ratwingers make about a tenth of this amount. 
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2008, 07:20:55 PM »
I think I'm seeing a very selective application of the principles of business competition from our right-wing friends on this board.  Apparently, if taxes are raised on those earning over $250,000, they just won't go on expanding their business and creating new jobs.  So the whole country is really a hostage to "the rich" because they have to be incentivized with low taxes to be productive and create jobs.

Well, guess what?  If there's a real need for a product or service and Mr. Rich Guy doesn't think it's worth his while to fill that need, somebody else who's satisfied with a lower profit margin WILL.  There is no Iron Rule of Business that every businessman has to earn $250,000 minimum.  If some guy making $250,000 won't stay in the game because of tax increases eating away his net income, somebody else will be happy to step into his shoes for $75,000 instead.  That's what competition is all about.  Some on the right seem to grasp the principle easily enough when a working wage is being discussed, but just can't seem to get their head around the idea that it also applies to profit margin and CEO compensation as well.

No one operates on a negative profit margin .

When you raise the expense with taxes you eliminate the marginal player who was getting along with a narrow margin , unless of course he is willing to raise his prices.

The first hurt then are the businessmen who are makeing a go of small margin , next is the consumor who will actually pay the tax.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2008, 07:31:38 PM »
When you raise the expense with taxes you eliminate the marginal player who was getting along with a narrow margin , unless of course he is willing to raise his prices.

He could also move out of the Mall, sell different products, or find a way to attract more customers. If he is really offering a superior product or service at the present price, then he could raise prices and still compete. His competitors have similar expenses to his, after all.

There is a European Car Parts House here that sold me a used wheel bolt for $3.00. When I took it back, because it was too long, he would not exchange it. Shortly afterward, I bought a NEW bolt that DID fit for $1.50. $1.50 is not enough to bother with, but the attitude was that this bolt HAD to fit, and we NEVER give exchanges.

I will never go back to the first place again. I have told everyone in my car club about this, and I don't think they will try it either. Price is not everything in running a business. Some people are just incompetent assholes.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2008, 07:32:24 PM »
No one operates on a negative profit margin .  When you raise the expense with taxes you eliminate the marginal player who was getting along with a narrow margin , unless of course he is willing to raise his prices.  The first hurt then are the businessmen who are makeing a go of small margin , next is the consumor who will actually pay the tax.

I don't think they care, Plane.  As long as Government is "sticking it" to business, for daring to try and make a profit, that's a good thing.  And with the repercussions you've outlined, translates into Government having to "do more", even take over if necessary

It is so intellectually dishonest by any politician, be it McCain or Oblather, to reference how "Government has a responsibility to take care of X".  When that phrase is used, they need to replace "Government" with "TAX PAYERS", because that's who they're referring to.  and when the term "investing" is used, they should be saying "more taxing".  It is far more accurate
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2008, 07:48:38 PM »
<<When you raise the expense with taxes you eliminate the marginal player who was getting along with a narrow margin , unless of course he is willing to raise his prices.>>

EXACTLY.  If the guy can't make enough to pay himself and his employees a fair living wage, and can't convince a bank or private lender or family to back him till he picks up speed, then this is the guy who SHOULD fall by the wayside.

Ever hear of a fella called Darwin?

richpo64

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2008, 08:18:42 PM »
>>I don't think they care, Plane.  As long as Government is "sticking it" to business, for daring to try and make a profit, that's a good thing.<<

Which is why the market continues to decline. Speculation is Obama becaomes president and will attack what makes America run. Get out while the gettin's good.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2008, 08:26:36 PM »
<<Which is why the market continues to decline. Speculation is Obama becaomes president and will attack what makes America run. Get out while the gettin's good.>>

Or engineer a panic so all the dumb schmucks who don't know what's going on dump their holdings and the Wall Street insiders hold what they have and then buy up all the dumped stuff at bargain basement prices because they know the market will rise up later.

richpo64

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2008, 08:28:27 PM »
>>Or engineer a panic so all the dumb schmucks who don't know what's going on dump their holdings and the Wall Street insiders hold what they have and then buy up all the dumped stuff at bargain basement prices because they know the market will rise up later.<<

Which is exactly what I'm doing.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2008, 08:37:57 PM »
Still a gamble cuz you don't know where the bottom is or how long it will take to get there.  I've been out for a while and I'm staying out for now.  If I buy anything, it'll be Florida real estate, but it still has a long way to sink before I'll look at anything there.

richpo64

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2008, 08:40:47 PM »
>>but it still has a long way to sink before I'll look at anything there.<<

I wouldn't wait to much longer.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2008, 08:48:38 PM »
On Florida?  I'm in no hurry.  I'll pass if it stays where it is.

crocat

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2008, 11:06:12 PM »
On Florida?  I'm in no hurry.  I'll pass if it stays where it is.

The market is low, Michael, but it will  be one of the first places to rebound.   Things have always been overpriced on the cold tundra you live on.