Author Topic: Want health insurance? Go get some.  (Read 2620 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Want health insurance? Go get some.
« on: October 14, 2008, 07:10:59 PM »
http://reason.tv/video/show/560.html

"Call it the Gillespie Plan: If you want health insurance, get some."

(Sorry, it's not YouTube, so I can't find a way to embed it here.)
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Want health insurance? Go get some.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 08:42:08 PM »
You make it sound so simple. If I did not already have insurance, with my age and preexisting conditions, it would be difficult, and expensive beyond my means, to get the same coverage I have now.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 12:47:31 AM »
No offense intended, Hnumpah, I think you might be a bit older than the folks Gillespie is talking about. The point is that a lot of people who are not insured could be if they so chose.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 12:48:38 AM »
And by the way, thanks, BT.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 01:10:58 AM »
When insurance companies can refuse coverage based on previous conditions, then such companies cannot be a way of providing affordable insurance for all, and in fact, prevent it from ever happening. They cherry pick the healthy and leave the rest to suffer and die.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 01:13:08 AM »
When insurance companies can refuse coverage based on previous conditions, then such companies cannot be a way of providing affordable insurance for all, and in fact, prevent it from ever happening. They cherry pick the healthy and leave the rest to suffer and die.

There are states that still allow insurance companies to deny coverage on pre-existing conditions?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 02:46:43 AM »

If you'd paid attention, you would have noticed the argument that insurance companies would provide insurance for all was never made in the video. Thus rendering your counter-argument pointless.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 11:00:29 AM »

If you'd paid attention, you would have noticed the argument that insurance companies would provide insurance for all was never made in the video. Thus rendering your counter-argument pointless.

===========================================================================
The need is NOT for greedhead insurance companies that insist on cherry-picking. They are as useless to society as the electric fork. The need is for insurance for all., and to hell with your stupid video, which itself is pointless for exactly that reason.

richpo64

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 11:32:08 AM »
>>and to hell with your stupid video, which itself is pointless for exactly that reason.<<

Yeah! To hell with your stupid video you poopie head!

(greedhead insurance companies?)

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 01:45:41 PM »

The need is NOT for greedhead insurance companies that insist on cherry-picking. They are as useless to society as the electric fork. The need is for insurance for all., and to hell with your stupid video, which itself is pointless for exactly that reason.

Ah. I see, your objection is to the existence of insurance companies. Useless to society you say. Yes, tell it to the employees. I'm sure they would love to lose their jobs to satisfy you. And tell it to the people who have insurance and have needed it. I'm sure they would be glad to let you pay for their hospital bills.

While you seem angry about this issue, your argument leaves a lot of be desired. And I get a sense that you did not even watch the video. So my advice is to calm down and watch the video. You might learn something.

richpo64

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 02:17:46 PM »
This really isn't news to those of us who oppose government forced healthcare. It is however, well done and should be run on all the minstream media stations so the people who haven't thought this through can see it and possibly learn something.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 12:26:56 AM »

Ah. I see, your objection is to the existence of insurance companies. Useless to society you say. Yes, tell it to the employees. I'm sure they would love to lose their jobs to satisfy you. And tell it to the people who have insurance and have needed it. I'm sure they would be glad to let you pay for their hospital bills.

While you seem angry about this issue, your argument leaves a lot of be desired. And I get a sense that you did not even watch the video. So my advice is to calm down and watch the video. You might learn something.
====================================
There you go again, twisting my words. I said I object to greedhead insurance companies who refuse to cover anyone with a pre-existing condition, not all insurance companies. Or is it that they all do it? I think they do. Look at any insurance application form other than those provided by employers, where pre-existing conditions have to be accepted (which is a decreasing minority these days).

I did not advocate anyone losing their job. If we had universal coverage, It well could be that those same people would be working for the universal health care providers.  I have had insurance through my employer nearly all of my life. And it hasn't cost me under $100 since the mid-1970's. Nowadays, NO ONE can get medical insurance that covers anything useful for $100 per month, which is what this bogus film claims.

What I learned from your video is that the guy who made it is every bit as good at finding irresponsible bozos as the insurance companies are at denying coverage to most of the people who really need insurance.

The idea that half of the people that don't have insurance could have it is just bogus.

Libertarians are not living in reality. Most people realize this. That's why the Ron Paul Reloveution or whatever it was went nowhere.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 03:37:21 PM »

There you go again, twisting my words.

A funny complaint for you of all people to make.

I said I object to greedhead insurance companies who refuse to cover anyone with a pre-existing condition, not all insurance companies. Or is it that they all do it? I think they do. Look at any insurance application form other than those provided by employers, where pre-existing conditions have to be accepted (which is a decreasing minority these days).

So apparently I haven't twisted your words at all.

I did not advocate anyone losing their job.

Of course you didn't. But for someone who complains "Libertarians are not living in reality" you seem oddly willing to deny the reality of what you complain about. People who argue that we need minimum wage don't advocate keeping some people from finding employment either, but that doesn't change the price floor on employment effect of minimum wage one iota. That you personally don't advocate anyone losing their job doesn't mean there would not be such consequences if we eliminated the companies for whom they work.

If we had universal coverage, It well could be that those same people would be working for the universal health care providers.

Well isn't that nice of you.

I have had insurance through my employer nearly all of my life. And it hasn't cost me under $100 since the mid-1970's. Nowadays, NO ONE can get medical insurance that covers anything useful for $100 per month, which is what this bogus film claims.

http://www.simplehra.com/cost.php

http://www.welikemoney.com/2008/08/20/health-insurance-a-rip-off-or-savior/

And I know for a fact many if not most people could get health insurance from Blue Cross/Blue Shield for $100/month or less. I've checked it out. Check it out yourself if you like.

The idea that half of the people that don't have insurance could have it is just bogus.

Is it? Please, provide your evidence.

Libertarians are not living in reality. Most people realize this. That's why the Ron Paul Reloveution or whatever it was went nowhere.

Sigh. I'll just say this: From where I sit, all of you supposedly pragmatic people who supposedly live in reality have had a long time to solve these problems. You haven't. If you've done anything, you've made them worse. So for you whine that libertarians do not live in reality seems at best like willful blindness.

And that is the nice reply.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 06:08:26 PM »
People in other countries live longer, everyone is insured and they pay a lot less.
Socialized medicine works.