Author Topic: Cholera  (Read 3712 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cholera
« on: October 23, 2010, 05:27:40 AM »

In Hati colera is just begging to be a problem , the potential for loss is staggering to think of.

Exposure to human waste in a large refugee camp is really hard to avoid.

I think that there are two things we should hurry up and do.

One. Send several platoons of SeaBees equipped to build septic tanks and sewage handleing systems , sanitary facilitys and washrooms. Just put these within reach and most of the people will clean themselves up without being told to. The bacteria is not dangerous when it is in a pipe .

Two. Send them a huge number of Kelly kettles. One of Hatis problems is a shortage of cooking fuel , the people there know already that they would be safer if they boiled their drinking water , but how exactly are they going to boil that much water?  A Kelly Kettle can boil your quart of water with a handfull of trash.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/personnel/seabees/seabee1.html

http://www.kellykettle.com/

Three is something we probly can't do , send them adequate medical servers , we probly just don't have it.  I wonder what it would cost to hire two hundred Cuban doctors?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Cholera
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 11:52:50 AM »
The design of the Kelly Kettle resembles a bit an old electric Turkish samovar that I bought in a yard sale. Being as it was designed for 220v and came without a cord, I have never fired it up. It is a very pretty brass thing that is decorative when polished up. I bought it from a Russian in 1989 who said it was Turkish. It has nothing stamped on it.

I agree that Kelly kettles would be useful to Haitians, but these things are rather pricey at around $60 delivered. I would not want an aluminum kettle, as there is that think about Altzheimers and aluminum, which is why I no longer use my old expresso pots and have changed to a stainless steel French press. Also, aluminum has a way of burning up a lot faster.

Sanitation is not a Haitian thing , though God knows it should be. Haiti is a disaster even in normal times.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 07:39:12 PM »
Sanitation is a colera thing and for lives saved it is an excellent way to get good bang for the buck.

There is a brass version of the kettle and a stainless version from other companys.
I understand this was invented a century ago in Ireland. There is no patent infringement problem.

Aluminum may or may not influence Alshimers disease , but if the threat avoided is colera I think that the priority is on the faster killer.

The Samovar is indeed a simular idea , just less adapted to camp .

I understand that Samovar is Russian for "always hot".

Could an American company turn out a big batch of these for this purpose in time to help and at a reasonable cost?

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 07:41:12 PM »
Speaking of styles, when will the turtleneck come back in fashion, for men?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 09:59:58 AM »

This winter definately , black turtlenecks will be the rage. This season black is the new black.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 11:21:59 AM »

This winter definately , black turtlenecks will be the rage. This season black is the new black.

The will be a nice look after Obama turns America into the next Haiti.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 01:28:13 PM »
Could an American company turn out a big batch of these for this purpose in time to help and at a reasonable cost?

=============================
I am sure that this is possible, but is improbable. It would take some sort of mass movement, and I do not see this happening.
Americans do not care that much about Haiti, or anywhere else, unless it is seriously publicized. Foreigners are useful to Americans most of the time as people that can be pointed to as being someone Americans are better than. 'Cause we are number one.

This is definitely true in plumbing, not at all true in bread or beer. Americans CAN make great beer and bread, but most Americans seem to settle for awful bread and watery beer.

I used to meet people at the Miami Airport who had just come back from a cruise, and could not recall whether they had visited Dominica (a small, English & patois speaking island) or the Dominican Republic (a much larger Spanish-speaking island) They tended not to know haw many places they had been to, since the cruise only docked from 10 AM until 6 PM at the most. The main activities were overeating and of course, gambling.

As I said, this is a clever design for a pot. The Irish company that sells these online has both "aluminium" and stainless steel pots for sale, the latter were over $60.

In the Dominican Republic, empty Freon AC cans are sold in the markets as lights: you fill them with kerosene and light a wick. Not nearly as much light as a glass kerosene light, but lots cheaper, and the only thing other than candles that the poor people used. They sold for about thirty cents, while a decent Chinese glass chimney kerosene lamp was around $2.00, and of course, they get broken and can start a fire. The Freon cans do not leak out when turned over.

The best solution would be to put Haitians to work making their own Kelly stoves. But starting any business in Haiti is quite difficult for anyone who does not belong to the Haitian "elite" that runs everything.

Everyone in Santo Domingo used aluminum cookware. No one had heard of aluminum being dangerous.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 09:45:55 PM »
The design of the Kelly Kettle resembles a bit an old electric Turkish samovar that I bought in a yard sale. Being as it was designed for 220v and came without a cord, I have never fired it up. It is a very pretty brass thing that is decorative when polished up. I bought it from a Russian in 1989 who said it was Turkish. It has nothing stamped on it.

I agree that Kelly kettles would be useful to Haitians, but these things are rather pricey at around $60 delivered. I would not want an aluminum kettle, as there is that think about Altzheimers and aluminum, which is why I no longer use my old expresso pots and have changed to a stainless steel French press. Also, aluminum has a way of burning up a lot faster.

Sanitation is not a Haitian thing , though God knows it should be. Haiti is a disaster even in normal times.

see http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=99

I have long felt there is a link between the two.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 10:08:27 PM »
It is entirely possible that aluminum is unrelated to Altzheimers. But I take the position that I can use stainless steel and cast iron cookware and buy beer in bottles. So why take a chance?

Haitian life expectancy might be too short for Altzheimers to be a problem. Malaria, AIDS, diabetes and gastrointestinal diseases are much more a threat to most Haitians.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 12:30:45 PM »
It is entirely possible that aluminum is unrelated to Altzheimers. But I take the position that I can use stainless steel and cast iron cookware and buy beer in bottles. So why take a chance?

Haitian life expectancy might be too short for Altzheimers to be a problem. Malaria, AIDS, diabetes and gastrointestinal diseases are much more a threat to most Haitians.

I'd say at the top of the list is STUPIDITY.