Author Topic: Another Republican that doesn't get it  (Read 17025 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Another Republican that doesn't get it
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 01:14:59 PM »
And nowhere am i saying you should not exercise your right to choose a party and candidate that best meets your needs. And if choosing Boehner is a deal killer for you , so be it.

I never said it would be.  I did say that it would be safe to assume that the GOP hasn't learned from the election thumpin yet, if they did place Boehner in said position
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 01:26:50 PM »
I did say that it would be safe to assume that the GOP hasn't learned from the election thumpin yet, if they did place Boehner in said position

My guess is that those newly elected reps are closer to Boehner than Pense on the spectrum, so it is possible that the GOP learned its lesson too well .

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 01:30:04 PM »
My guess is that those newly elected reps are closer to Boehner than Pense on the spectrum, so it is possible that the GOP learned its lesson too well .

Perhaps....and they'd also be Democrats. 
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 01:35:15 PM »

There is no disputing that fact. But wasn't that the lesson to be learned? Govern from the middle?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »
There may be a big group that left the left part of the Republicans and swung to the Democrats because they are near the center where the partys overlap.

There may be a big group that sits on the right side of the party and feels betrayed by the partys left choices.

Which of these is the party going to chase after?

Oh, and XO, good greif half the country preferrs Republicans , who want a massive die off or what?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2006, 08:57:28 PM »

There is no disputing that fact. But wasn't that the lesson to be learned? Govern from the middle?

No, not at all.  The "lesson to be learned" is don't repetatively alienate those that make up the core of your own voting block.  Occasional aggravation is to be expected.  Constant spitting in the face, won't be tolerated

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2006, 09:36:27 PM »
Perhaps i am missing something here, but seems to me the conservative core wasn't solid, they couldn't be relied upon and perhaps a move towards the center might replace those fickle votes.

I understand how they feel, but i'm not so sure their expectations were realistic.

Bush was successful because he was more to the middle than his opponents.

I'm probably more to the middle than you are.

And i certainly don't have a problem with my portion of the spectrum being represented in the leadership.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2006, 09:45:55 PM »
Perhaps i am missing something here, but seems to me the conservative core wasn't solid, they couldn't be relied upon and perhaps a move towards the center might replace those fickle votes.

And having done so got precisely the results we now see before us. 

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 09:54:18 PM »
And having done so got precisely the results we now see before us

You mean the 5 wins to 1 loss?

I don't think that is a bad record by any means.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2006, 10:19:54 PM »
And having done so got precisely the results we now see before us
You mean the 5 wins to 1 loss?

No, the latest loss.  As I said, the core voting block can only be spit in the face, only so long

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 10:44:11 PM »
No, the latest loss.  As I said, the core voting block can only be spit in the face, only so long

Well you can't win them all.

But the fact that the "core" stuck with the party during the previous 5 elections and apparently didn't even hold their nose and vote for the lesser of two evils says this election was more complex than just a disatisfaction in the base.

BTW do you think the Adelman story and this one has a common thread.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2006, 10:54:53 PM »

Well you can't win them all.  But the fact that the "core" stuck with the party during the previous 5 elections and apparently didn't even hold their nose and vote for the lesser of two evils says this election was more complex than just a disatisfaction in the base.

Again, I must opine, you can only tolerate being slapped around just so long.  Eventually, you're going to say no mas.  The fact that the GOP had been winning the prior election cyles is likely a belief that the Gingrich Republicans would show themselves.  Alas, it became apparent that wasn't going to happen, and Bush consistently demonstrated he wasn't going to push for it, either

BTW do you think the Adelman story and this one has a common thread.

I haven't actually been paying attention to that thread.  I'll give it a look see, and get back to you, on that one

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2006, 01:17:47 AM »
Again, I must opine, you can only tolerate being slapped around just so long.  Eventually, you're going to say no mas.  The fact that the GOP had been winning the prior election cyles is likely a belief that the Gingrich Republicans would show themselves.  Alas, it became apparent that wasn't going to happen, and Bush consistently demonstrated he wasn't going to push for it, either

Sorry it has come to this. We'll miss you when you are gone.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2006, 02:32:02 AM »
Sorry it has come to this. We'll miss you when you are gone.

Oh contraire.  I look forward to the GOP returning to some core principals...........if they wish to return to power.  It's what put them in power, in the 1st place

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2006, 02:57:00 AM »
It's what put them in power, in the 1st place

The core values of Lincoln?

Coolidge?

Hoover?