Author Topic: not nearly as compliant  (Read 2855 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
not nearly as compliant
« on: October 24, 2008, 04:34:41 AM »
The new study seems to show that the really rich are more tax-compliant than the merely well-off, although not nearly as compliant as middle- and working-class wage slaves. Those earning $2 million-plus had an 11% underreporting rate. But Slemrod said he was "less comfortable" with that finding, noting that the very rich may have made use of techniques that IRS research audits didn't detect.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/AvoidAnAudit/the-biggest-tax-cheats-rich-folks.aspx

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: not nearly as compliant
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 12:11:17 PM »
The superrich are much more likely to have a serious pro doing their taxes, one who is far more aware of the more obscure loopholes.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 06:34:34 PM »
The superrich are much more likely to have a serious pro doing their taxes, one who is far more aware of the more obscure loopholes.

Yep , and we are already depending on them to pay the lions share of the governments cost.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 07:09:42 PM »
Yep , and we are already depending on them to pay the lions share of the governments cost.

AS WELL THEY SHOULD. Every year, they still get a bigger percentage of the pie, without fail.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 07:14:14 PM »
and EVERY YEAR, they pay a bigger percentage in TAXES, without fail
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

richpo64

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 07:18:19 PM »
>> ...  one who is far more aware of the more obscure loopholes.<<

I wonder. Are the folks at H & R Block unaware of these obscure loopholes? I think not. I think these "obscure loopholes" are just another part of the "evil rich" template libtards have swallowed.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 07:27:56 PM »
I wonder. Are the folks at H & R Block unaware of these obscure loopholes? I think not. I think these "obscure loopholes" are just another part of the "evil rich" template libtards have swallowed.

FLASH!

Wealthy people never darken the portals of H & R Block.

The tax code is thousands of pages, but the usual 1040 comes with about 36 pages. The rest are all manner of exceptions. But you would not know about that. If Rush's accountant explains these to Rush, which is doubtful, Rush is sure as Hell not going to share them with you.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 08:07:52 PM »

FLASH!

Wealthy people never darken the portals of H & R Block.

The tax code is thousands of pages, but the usual 1040 comes with about 36 pages. The rest are all manner of exceptions. But you would not know about that. If Rush's accountant explains these to Rush, which is doubtful, Rush is sure as Hell not going to share them with you.

Who has been writeing this stuff?

It as if it were intended to be confuseing.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 09:30:08 PM »
Why say tax the rich if you know the rich are too clever to pay the taxes in the first place.

Sounds to me like bait and switch.

"Hell yeah, we're gonna make them rich sumbitches pay through the nose, and BTW , we need to raise your taxes just a little bit too, but not near as much as them bastard rich boys. "

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 10:09:12 PM »
Why say tax the rich if you know the rich are too clever to pay the taxes in the first place.

They are obviously believing that they will pay more or they would not be bitching so long and loudly.
Many of the loopholes were written by Republicans who might not be around to prevent them from being closed by the Democrats.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 10:16:47 PM »
Many of the loopholes were written by Republicans who might not be around to prevent them from being closed by the Democrats.

Do you honestly believe that?

We have had loopholes as long as we have had taxes. That is where congressional power comes from.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 10:18:55 PM »
I believe that tax loopholes for the super rich are more likely to be passed by Republicans.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 10:25:28 PM »
I believe that tax loopholes for the super rich are more likely to be passed by Republicans.

If that were the case there would have been no loopholes left after the forty years of dem control of the house.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »

If that were the case there would have been no loopholes left after the forty years of dem control of the house.

=============================================
I said MORE LIKELY I did not say that Democrats permitted NO special loopholes, just fewer.

The House and the Senate are both involved in tax laws. It takes a supermajority of 60% for either party to get a bill entirely favoring one party through the Senate without a filibuster hanging it up. This has been a rare occurrence.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 11:00:03 PM »
The dems controlled the senate for the majority of those years.

And i can't recall any long filibusters about tax policy. Perhaps you can refresh my memory.