Author Topic: Redistribution of Wealth  (Read 8022 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Redistribution of Wealth
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2008, 10:24:41 PM »
And if you buy more at the store you pay more sales tax. But you are taxed at the same rate.

How is that not your precious talking point "punishing success"?

Punishing success means you tax those who are successful at a different rate.

This is not rocket science. It is equal treatment under the law.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2008, 10:40:33 PM »
I suggest that this would not happen.<<

Does the government do anything but impede trade?

======================================
What do you think the Department of Commerce is for?

It appears you are still back in 1980, sitting on Reagan's knee.
"The government is the problem."

If this were actually true and Reagan believed it were true, he would have shut the sucker down, now, wouldn;t he?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

richpo64

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2008, 10:48:45 PM »
>>What do you think the Department of Commerce is for?<<

I didn't think you'd know.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2008, 12:49:28 AM »
There is a Japaneese story od Judge Ooka.

Once a tax was levyed on houses , it was the Judges opinion that the houses of the wealthy were bigger and had more windows and doors so he levvyed the tax as a certain number of yen per door and a ceertain number of yen per window , so that the hovels of the poor would pay much less than the manses of the wealthy .

But there was a Merchant who in order to save himself from the tax boarded up all his doors but one and all of his windows but one , though his house was large he payed no more than the mite owed by a poor household.

The man was brought before Judge Ooka and he smugly stated that he was in obedience to the letter of the law .

Judge Ooka considered this case only a moment before he congradulated this man on his wisdom , praising his thrift and his cunning both Judge Ooka came down from the bench and shook the mans hand promiseing that with wisdom like that the man should be excused from the tax entirely.

The rich man was very pleased to accept Judge Ooka's proposal that he pay nothing for tax and said so in frount of the large assembled audience.

So be it , proclaimed the Judge , you shall owe no tax , and you shall have no door.

The Judge ordered a carpenter be sent to the house in question to seal the remaining door and window before the man should be allowed to return home.

After a few days of sleeping on the street and in the feilds the rich man realised that he was not popular with the townsfolk who were laughing at his predicament , he appealed to judge Ooka for an oppurtunity to pay his tax and open his door.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2008, 01:19:28 PM »

Once a tax was levyed on houses , it was the Judges opinion that the houses of the wealthy were bigger and had more windows and doors so he levvyed the tax as a certain number of yen per door and a ceertain number of yen per window , so that the hovels of the poor would pay much less than the manses of the wealthy .

But there was a Merchant who in order to save himself from the tax boarded up all his doors but one and all of his windows but one , though his house was large he payed no more than the mite owed by a poor household.

The man was brought before Judge Ooka and he smugly stated that he was in obedience to the letter of the law .

Judge Ooka considered this case only a moment before he congradulated this man on his wisdom , praising his thrift and his cunning both Judge Ooka came down from the bench and shook the mans hand promiseing that with wisdom like that the man should be excused from the tax entirely.

The rich man was very pleased to accept Judge Ooka's proposal that he pay nothing for tax and said so in frount of the large assembled audience.

So be it , proclaimed the Judge , you shall owe no tax , and you shall have no door.

The Judge ordered a carpenter be sent to the house in question to seal the remaining door and window before the man should be allowed to return home.

After a few days of sleeping on the street and in the feilds the rich man realised that he was not popular with the townsfolk who were laughing at his predicament , he appealed to judge Ooka for an oppurtunity to pay his tax and open his door.

This is EXACTLY the way things are now.  The rich have extra resources that allow them to pay even LESS tax than the poor.

If we had a flat tax rate, the rich would wind up getting out of ALL their tax.

If you have more, you should pay a higher rate.

I don't think a move from 36% to 39% is an outrageous leap.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2008, 02:25:18 PM »
And if you buy more at the store you pay more sales tax. But you are taxed at the same rate.

How is that not your precious talking point "punishing success"?

Punishing success means you tax those who are successful at a different rate.

This is not rocket science. It is equal treatment under the law.

And you'll tax internet purchases, correct?

Food?

Overseas imports?

What about duty free zones?

Never quite as simple as you'd like it to be.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2008, 05:40:23 PM »
For those who tend to play at being obtuse, you'll notice my quibble with the tax system is that some people are taxed at different rates than others.

If the internet is taxed odds are that the rate would be the same for everyone.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2008, 06:59:50 PM »
For those who tend to play at being obtuse, you'll notice my quibble with the tax system is that some people are taxed at different rates than others.

If the internet is taxed odds are that the rate would be the same for everyone.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember you being ok with people paying extra for extra speed, right?  Would those people then be taxed at the same rate even though they are paying more and getting preference on the internet the way they get preference at every other gd thing they get by paying extra?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2008, 07:01:50 PM »

&nbsp; Judge Ooka considered this case only a moment before he congradulated this man on his wisdom , praising his thrift and his cunning both Judge Ooka came down from the bench and shook the mans hand promiseing that with wisdom like that the man should be excused from the tax entirely.

&nbsp; So be it , proclaimed the Judge , you shall owe no tax , and you shall have no door.

This is EXACTLY the way things are now.&nbsp; The rich have extra resources that allow them to pay even LESS tax than the poor.

If we had a flat tax rate, the rich would wind up getting out of ALL their tax.

If you have more, you should pay a higher rate.

I don't think a move from 36% to 39% is an outrageous leap.

Unfortuneately we don't have Judge Ooka keeping the people who write these laws from leaveing windows open in the back. If poor people wrote the law they might be simpler.

http://suburbanbanshee.wordpress.com/2004/06/29/108852798237769818/