Author Topic: The most fun election day coverage I can find  (Read 1430 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The most fun election day coverage I can find
« on: November 04, 2008, 03:54:48 PM »
http://www.reason.com/blog/show/129860.html
      Election Day Freebie Watch: Part 1

Posted on November 4, 2008, 9:54am | Katherine Mangu-Ward

In an effort to take the pulse of the American electorate, yours truly will be blogging live all day from the places where democracy really matters: Stores where an "I Voted" sticker entitles customers to free stuff.

Since I never vote, reason readers can rest assured that my objectivity will remain untainted by conflicts of interest.

I probably won't make it up to NYC today, so before I hit the mean streets of Washington, D.C., I'm going to kick things off with a news report. Toys in Babeland, a "woman-positive sex shop," is giving away freebies to those who present their ballot stubs, registration cards, or "word of honor" that they voted. The prize?:

For men, it's the "Maverick," a "sleeve" for self-pleasuring. According to a press release, "He's always there to lend a hand, he works for every man, and he bucks the status quo." Women can choose the "Silver Bullet" mini-vibrator, which is "a magical solution to difficult problems" and "a great stress-reliever during these troubled economic times!"      

In related news, freebies may also be available from disconsolate young ladies sporting McCain buttons in D.C. bars tonight.

Stay tuned for more from Starbucks, Krispy Kreme, Ben and Jerry's, and more.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:00:41 PM by Universe Prince »
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The most fun election day coverage I can find
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 03:58:28 PM »
http://www.reason.com/blog/show/129864.html
      Election Day Freebie Watch: Part 2

Katherine Mangu-Ward | November 4, 2008, 11:31am

Poor Starbucks can't seem to do anything right lately. After hyping free coffee for those who "care enough to vote," the chain has been forced to revise its promotion by federal election law. Now they're giving a free cup of coffee to any one who cares enough to ask for a free cup of coffee. That's civic participation.

"Federal law makes no distinction between cups of coffee or a raffle ticket versus a buy-the-vote kind of thing on the other end of the spectrum. We just told Starbucks, essentially, no good deed goes unpunished. We appreciate the gesture, but it's forbidden" according to the office of Washington's secretary of state.

Looks like there's a chance for my objectivity to be tainted after all. I'm headed out now to watch federal election law get broken by baristas who didn't get the memo...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:00:56 PM by Universe Prince »
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 04:00:26 PM »
http://www.reason.com/blog/show/129872.html
Election Day Freebie Watch: Part 3

Posted on November 4, 2008, 1:53pm | Katherine Mangu-Ward

The Krispy Kreme in D.C.'s Dupont Circle was hopping this afternoon, with a line of office workers basking in that "I Voted" glow and the warm, fuzzy feeling that comes with an impending free donut.

The two harried Latinas behind the counter looked like they were rethinking their decision to come to America.

Despite a last minute change of plans which required Starbucks, Krispy Kreme, and others to give free stuff to all comers, not just voters, the Dupont Kripsy was checking for stickers.

In an almost-too-good-to-be-true foreshadowing of the Obama presidency, the donutistas said that they were concerned about running out of the free election-themed donuts. Apparently, when you give something away for free, it's hard to know how much of it to make. They'd resorted to (semi-illegally) demanding to see "I Voted" stickers for the special donuts in order to stretch out the supply. They also said customers weren't as polite as usual. Go figure—when people feel entitled to something, they act as if they value it less. Who could have foreseen such a thing? Oh, wait.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:05:19 PM by Universe Prince »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 04:06:57 PM »
They also said customers weren't as polite as usual. Go figure—when people feel entitled to something, they act as if they value it less. Who could have foreseen such a thing? [urlhttp://www.amazon.com/Prices-Production-Fredrich-Hayek/dp/0678065152]Oh, wait[/url].

=======================================================
Could this be because they weren't the same people? Not everyone believes that a Krispy Kreme donut is worth a Krispy Kreme donut price. On the other hand, free is everyone's favorite price.

Even rude people like free donuts. They see a special voter donut and heard on the TV or radio that it is free to them, and then someone there at Krispy Kreme starts pestering them for an "I voted" sticker. So they get pissed, and others, seeing that one person is pissed, get pissed too. Everyone gets pissed when you change the rules on them.

I am betting that people are more polite when they think they will see you every day, as opposed to once every four years.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 04:08:38 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27455136/
         As to whether Babeland expects voters who take them up on the offer to lean one way or the other politically, Doan said, "Sex crosses party lines. … We've tried to make this into a nonpartisan reward because we welcome everyone. That's our philosophy and our mission. We didn't want to reward only Obama supporters. We have a lot of Republicans who shop at Babeland too."

I'd have been more impressed if they had also offered something with a libertarian link for bisexuals and/or transgenders.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 04:13:11 PM »
I'd have been more impressed if they had also offered something with a libertarian link for bisexuals and/or transgenders.

===============================
What percentage of transgendered, gay, lesbian and bisexual voters are actually libertarian?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 04:17:25 PM »
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/obama_undertakes_presidential
Obama Undertakes Presidential Internship To Ease Concerns About His Lack Of Experience

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 04:18:41 PM »

What percentage of transgendered, gay, lesbian and bisexual voters are actually libertarian?

Nevermind.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 05:25:39 PM »

Nevermind.
==========================================
Coward!

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 06:44:38 PM »
http://www.reason.com/blog/show/129869.html
      Election Day Freebie Watch: Part 4

Katherine Mangu-Ward | November 4, 2008, 3:26pm

An informal canvass of three D.C. Starbucks suggests that people are taking their free coffee black and sweet—appropriately enough in this season of impending Obama victory.

• Down at the Farragut Park Starbucks, where people wear frumpy suits and look tired, the cashier simply converted every order for a tall coffee into a freebie, regardless of whether the customers knew about the promotion. Asked how many cups she had given away, she sighed and said "hundreds."

• Up in Dupont Circle, people with cool jeans and Obama buttons inquired politely after their free coffee. Many people took their coffee from the counter and looked around as if they were waiting for security to pounce. Unsurprising really, that people who are used to paying $4 a pop feel like a free cup is too good to be true. One older woman asked for two cups, and she got them. The barista, obviously not confident of a speedy Obama victory, said: "Ma'am, it might be a long night, so sure."

Former reason intern Jonathan Blanks partook, and had this to say: "I just spat on the party of my youth, and all I got was this lousy coffee. Thanks, Starbucks."
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 06:49:57 PM by Universe Prince »