Author Topic: Down On Main St.  (Read 5286 times)

BSB

Down On Main St.
« on: November 07, 2008, 04:55:33 PM »
Labor Dept: 240,000 jobs lost in Oct. Unemployment jumps to 6.5 percent.

Cynthia

Re: Down On Main St.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 05:10:23 PM »
Labor Dept: 240,000 jobs lost in Oct. Unemployment jumps to 6.5 percent.

What goes down must come back up.

Let's all hope for that, at least. Perhaps the next 8 years will show signs of growth and prosperity.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 05:16:32 PM »
I hate to say this, but don't expect it in the 1st 4 years........outside of course an increase in Government jobs
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Cynthia

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 06:29:52 PM »
I hate to say this, but don't expect it in the 1st 4 years........outside of course an increase in Government jobs

That's why I mentioned 8 years. I can't see anything but tightened belts for a lonnnnggg time.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 06:56:58 PM »
Chances are, the electorate's not going to allow it to worsen over 8 Miss Cynthia, which is why Carter was only a 1 termer, with Reagan winning in a landslide, along with GOP executive control for another 12 years
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 06:58:43 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Cynthia

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 07:05:36 PM »
Chances are, the electorate's not going to allow it to worsen over 8 Miss Cynthia, which is why Carter was only a 1 termer, with Reagan winning in a landslide, along with GOP executive control for another 12 years

No, you have that backwards in this case. Obama has had to clean up the mess from the previous administration. Obama IS the Reagan of the past in terms of trust, and reform. Let's just hope he can pull that off. EVERYONE loves him. They will not be so quick to just keep him in for four years...mark my words..he's in for 8!

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 07:09:28 PM »
naaaaa, I've seen the agenda, I've heard the rhetoric.  It's Carter all over again, both in domestic & foreign policy.  1 term, misery index getting close to 20 is my prediction, with unemployment #'s in the double digits FOLLOWING Obama's efforts to "fix" the economy

crocat

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 07:10:04 PM »

No, you have that backwards in this case. Obama has had to clean up the mess from the previous administration. Obama IS the Reagan of the past in terms of trust, and reform. Let's just hope he can pull that off. EVERYONE loves him. They will not be so quick to just keep him in for four years...mark my words..he's in for 8!

I don't think that is a prediction any of us can make.  Look at JFK, he was to be our political savior and he was gone in a blink of an eye.  One has to wonder if he would still be held in such reverence had he survived his term in office?

Obama is about to face something that no other President has and that is conditions that could be compared to the perfect storm.  It is going to be very difficult for him to keep that many balls in the air without severely pissing off some people.  Americans thrive on instant gratification and he has already warned us that there would be none of that.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 07:11:42 PM »
Oh no !

Unemployment has not reached these levels sinse Clinton was president.

crocat

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 07:20:01 PM »
Oh no !

Unemployment has not reached these levels sinse Clinton was president.

Manufacturing, Manufacturing, Manufacturing.   When it when south... so did our economy.  I was listening to the news today and I heard for every lost job at the big 3, 10 more in satellite companies would go with it.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2008323790_automakers29.html"If Ford or GM goes down, you take a 2 million-job hit" that also would dump hundreds of thousands of retirees on the federal Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp., said David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research.

Chrysler and GM will be responsible for an estimated $90 billion in pension and health-insurance benefits by 2017."

Regarding the 90 billion in pensions and health insurance benefits.... before all of you heartless liberals get on your high horses... let's not forget that these people held up their contractual obligations for the car companies.  It was agreed upon as part of their package.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 08:43:29 PM »
I blame the auto industry's failure to make cars that get 100 miles to the gallon on its demise.

There's this guy on Morning Joe all the time (they call him "money party") and he was on MSNBC later and he was really ranting about how the government has somehow incentivized the auto industry to making cars that have lower gas mileage.  Something about how SUV's are excluded from the mpg standards.

If my friend's Prius gets over 40, surely AMERICAN companies in all their powerful genius and ingenuity can make something that works better!  RIGHT?!?!

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 08:49:34 PM »
If my friend's Prius gets over 40, surely AMERICAN companies in all their powerful genius and ingenuity can make something that works better!  RIGHT?!?!

GM makes and sells a car in Europe that gets nearly 80mph. They cannot import it into the US because it violates EPA standards.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 08:52:59 PM »
You're telling me that there is a law against cars having higher gas mileage?

:-\

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 08:56:23 PM »
You're telling me that there is a law against cars having higher gas mileage?

No, there is a law against having single cylinder diesel engines.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 09:06:36 PM »
So Europe and the countries therein have more lax environmental laws than the US?

And we wonder why manufacturing jobs are sent overseas.