Author Topic: A "hyper-partisan" chief of staff?  (Read 7306 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A "hyper-partisan" chief of staff?
« on: November 09, 2008, 08:44:21 PM »
I guess we will know in  a little while.

Barack Obama's designated chief of staff -- responding to Republicans' concerns that his tough, partisan approach might run at odds with Barack Obama's administration -- said it's up to the new president to set a bipartisan "tone."

Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanuel, appearing Sunday on ABC News' This Week, dismissed such charges by saying Obama will maintain his pledge to govern in a bipartisan manner.

Last week, the Republican National Committee put out a press release calling Obama's choice of Emanuel, "Obama's Broken Promise" because the Illinois politician has a reputation for being "hyper-partisan."

And Republican House leader John Boehner called Emanuel "an ironic choice for a president-elect who has promised to change Washington, make politics more civil, and govern from the center."

Emanuel responded to the GOP's criticisms, saying, "President-elect Obama is very clear... that we have to govern in a bipartisan fashion."

"The challenges are big enough that there's going to be an ability for people of both parties, as well as independents, to contribute ideas to help meet the challenges on health care, energy, tax reform, education," he said.

"That is the tone. That is the policy. And that is exactly how we're going to go forward," he added.

Emanuel was a political and policy aide in Bill Clinton's White House. Leaving that, he turned to investment banking, then won a Chicago-area House seat six years ago. In Congress, he moved quickly into the leadership. As chairman of the Democratic campaign committee in 2006, he played an instrumental role in restoring his party to power after 12 years in the minority.

Valerie Jarrett, co-chair of Obama's transition team, also defended Emanuel from charges that he will act as a "hyper-partisan" chief of staff.

"Tone starts at the top, and I think that President-elect Obama has made it clear that he wants an administration that is--that reaches out, that's bipartisan, that works in a collegial way," Jarrett said Sunday on NBC's Meet the Press.

"There's no one who can hit the ground running faster than Rahm Emanuel. He embraces President-elect Obama's philosophy. He's going to do an outstanding job," she said.

In offering the post of White House chief of staff to Emanuel, Obama turned to a fellow Chicago politician with a far different style from his own, a man known for his bluntness as well as his single-minded determination.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/11/09/rahm-emanuel-obama-responsible-setting-bipartisan-tone/

crocat

Re: A "hyper-partisan" chief of staff?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 10:00:09 PM »
I am sure we will, Plane.  Myself, considering the alternatives, I am hoping for a miracle.

While I hold the big tax and spend platform of the DNC, I am very impressed at the 'get it done' plan that Obama and his team launched.  It was really quite miraculous to see dialed out and disengaged Americans mobilized in such a manner.  IF he can do that with all of the problems in this country we may catch a break.  I hope he is able to get the economy moving quickly because I am sure that those that brung him will quickly turn if he does not.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:44:10 PM »
The limit of what a president can do to benefit the economy may be reached already.

Another stimulus package might happen very soon , but if it seems as if the US treasury is willing to print our way out of the problem the stimulus will arrive in highly deflated dollars.

Does the Obama Economic plan seem smart and confidence building to the money men of the world?

Or the public's of trhe world ant their economies?

The confidence people have in the future is one important factor , it needs to be a factor greater than one for progress to happen.

Knutey

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:23:49 AM »
>In offering the post of White House chief of staff to Emanuel, Obama turned to a fellow Chicago politician with a far different style from his own, a man known for his bluntness as well as his single-minded determination.<

Opposites attract as they say and the good cop /bad cop is known to work. Rove with Bush was twice as partisan and they were both bad cops.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 12:33:17 AM »
Opposites attract as they say and the good cop /bad cop is known to work. Rove with Bush was twice as partisan and they were both bad cops.

=======================
Please keep in mind that good cop/bad cop is not a managerial style: it is a method for interrogating suspects of a crime, which is soething entirely different.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Knutey

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 12:35:42 AM »

=======================
Please keep in mind that good cop/bad cop is not a managerial style: it is a method for interrogating suspects of a crime, which is soething entirely different.

Actually, I have seen the technique used in both business and politic albeit without that name.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 12:56:04 AM »
Rahm Emanuel will be the Chief of Staff

And John Podesta will be the Transition Head

Apparently Obama is big on recycling.

Knutey

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 12:58:57 AM »
Rahm Emanuel will be the Chief of Staff

And John Podesta will be the Transition Head

Apparently Obama is big on recycling.

Y'all just cannot be satisfied. You blast O's lack of experience, but blast his chosing experienced folks to help. Nothing pleases you hypocrits who had no problem with the Bushidiot just reshuffling his daddies flunkies.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 01:07:07 AM »
Nothing pleases you hypocrits who had no problem with the Bushidiot just reshuffling his daddies flunkies.

Perhaps you don't understand the change in dynamics.

You people blasted Bush for recycling his daddies cronies and yet the first two noteworthy appointments from your agent of change are recycles from Clinton. Perhaps it is you who is the hypocrite.

What is especially interesting is that as you blast Lieberman for being a pro-Zionist tool, Emanuel actually volunteered a a civilian member of the IDF during the First Gulf War.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 01:17:18 AM »
I am all for letting every president pick their own staff. Approval of the Secretaries depends on Congress, and that is subject to more review.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 01:22:47 AM »
I am all for letting every president pick their own staff. Approval of the Secretaries depends on Congress, and that is subject to more review.

Staff is the President's prerogative.

But in these two postings i don't see the change advertised.

Emanuel even voted for the Iraq War.

crocat

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 08:02:53 AM »
The limit of what a president can do to benefit the economy may be reached already.

Another stimulus package might happen very soon , but if it seems as if the US treasury is willing to print our way out of the problem the stimulus will arrive in highly deflated dollars.

Does the Obama Economic plan seem smart and confidence building to the money men of the world?

Or the public's of trhe world ant their economies?

The confidence people have in the future is one important factor , it needs to be a factor greater than one for progress to happen.

While we need the appearance of 'big steps' to return confidence to the money "people" of the world... we both know this will happen correctly with a series of small steps.

crocat

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 08:03:52 AM »

Looking for a figure head, heh?

The President has to have his men... that's what makes up our lovely triangle.

Knutey

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 10:55:33 AM »
Nothing pleases you hypocrits who had no problem with the Bushidiot just reshuffling his daddies flunkies.

Perhaps you don't understand the change in dynamics.

You people blasted Bush for recycling his daddies cronies and yet the first two noteworthy appointments from your agent of change are recycles from Clinton. Perhaps it is you who is the hypocrite.

What is especially interesting is that as you blast Lieberman for being a pro-Zionist tool, Emanuel actually volunteered a a civilian member of the IDF during the First Gulf War.

The Bushidiot also claimed he would bring back integrity to the Whitehouse and certainly lied about that.

You are basing what O would do based on only two choices . We have seen 8 years of Bushlies.

For a con to accuse another of not understanding the dynamics of change is too sill for words. Y'all hate change . It is your very definition .

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
con?serv?a?tive?   ?[kuhn-sur-vuh-tiv] Show IPA Pronunciation   
–adjective
1.   disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.
Besides, you have me mixed up with the couple of other sane ones in here. I am not anti- Israel . I just dont think we should be theit lackey.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 11:38:33 AM »
Looking for a figure head, heh?

The President has to have his men... that's what makes up our lovely triangle.
====================================
I am not looking for anything. I don't think the president's chief of staff is ever a figurehead or a figure head. He is simply a guy who
organizes the agenda in a workable order for maximum results.

Any president should be able to select his staff without much quibbling from the press, at least until the staff DOES something.

I am not sure what you mean by "our lovely triangle".