Author Topic: Dean to Step Aside  (Read 3408 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dean to Step Aside
« on: November 10, 2008, 04:52:24 PM »
From Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/10/dean-prepares-to-step-dow_n_142614.html

After four years at the helm of the Democratic National Committee, Howard Dean is preparing to relinquish his chairmanship.

Dean, who has been serving in the post since 2005, has said in the past that he would serve only one term, though his successful work with the Obama campaign had led some Democrats to wonder whether he would stay on into the next administration. This won't be the case, officials at the DNC confirm. He will serve as chair until his term ends in January. The party will settle on a new head when it hosts a meeting during the week of Obama's inauguration.

The article goes on to explain how its really not his choice and I could easily get the feeling this is simply Emanuel's revenge for Dean having stood up to him over the 50 State Strategy.

The night of the election, Chris Matthews was interviewing Governor Dean and Matthews asked if Dean had gotten any thanks from Obama for laying the groundwork for using the internet and the 50SS. I blurted out that Howard Dean was John The Baptist and Obama was Jesus. Right after I got it out, Matthews made the same exact comparison.

As far as I'm conerned, Howard Dean should receive a major amount of credit for Barack Obama's election. I'm not saying ALL the credit or that Obama owes Barack Obama BIG TIME. I'm just saying, Obama ran on some of the framework that Dean built.

If Obama should want to make Dean a part of his cabinet, I'd be willing to start saying the Pledge of Allegiance again.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Re: Dean to Step Aside
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 05:16:02 PM »
If Obama should want to make Dean a part of his cabinet, I'd be willing to start saying the Pledge of Allegiance again.

With or without the "under God" part?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 05:29:09 PM »

====================
What on Earth is that about?  Is the idea that God will cease to exist if unmentioned in a Pledge to the flag or something?

Would the nation be above God, alongside God  or in some part of the Universe not patrolled by God if "under God" were not mentioned specifically? Really, how is "under God" as mentioned in the Pledge relevant in any logical sense.

What does God have to do with a pledge to a flag, really. A flag is a symbol of a country. Actually the Pledge is to both the flag and the nation. But if an atheist says the pledge, does God get pissed?, Or does it mean the atheist has dispended with atherism because he mentions God?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 05:33:56 PM »
What on Earth is that about?  Is the idea that God will cease to exist if unmentioned in a Pledge to the flag or something?

Got me. I never say that part anyway.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 05:36:36 PM »
"Indivisible " is the objectionable bit.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 06:33:19 PM »

Sans, of course.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 06:39:06 PM »
What on Earth is that about?  Is the idea that God will cease to exist if unmentioned in a Pledge to the flag or something?

========================================
You mean you never mention Almighty GAWD when swearing your loyalty to a symbolic piece of cloth?

They'll let anyone in these days.
===========================

No, that is the only bit not subject to objection. They fought a war over that, remember? The one you guys lost, and then you had to let your slaves go, and Scarlett had to ruin the beautiful green drapes just to attend some fancy ball in 'Tlanta.

I agree that it is logical that if the states voluntarily joined the union, they should be allowed to unjoin it. But it turns out that people other than me were in charge.

I know that mu granddad decided to leave the Elks to become a Moose, they didn't use violence to keep him in. On the other hand, he didn't get all violent with them. It was really stupid for your guys to fire on Ft. Sumpter. It wasn't hurting anything. Canadians have managed to get along with all them Frenchies on St Pierre and Miquelon smack dab in the mouth of the St Lawrence for way over a century.

Firing on Ft. Sumpter was just like some wimp punching Mike Tyson in the nose, and expecting to get away with it.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 06:49:24 PM »
You mean you never mention Almighty GAWD when swearing your loyalty to a symbolic piece of cloth?

Why would I? I'm agnostic bordering on atheistic.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 08:04:23 PM »
What on Earth is that about?  Is the idea that God will cease to exist if unmentioned in a Pledge to the flag or something?

========================================

They'll let anyone in these days.
===========================

No, that is the only bit not subject to objection. They fought a war over that, remember? The one you guys lost, and then you had to let your slaves go, and Scarlett had to ruin the beautiful green drapes just to attend some fancy ball in 'Tlanta.

I agree that it is logical that if the states voluntarily joined the union, they should be allowed to unjoin it. But it turns out that people other than me were in charge.

I know that mu granddad decided to leave the Elks to become a Moose, they didn't use violence to keep him in. On the other hand, he didn't get all violent with them. It was really stupid for your guys to fire on Ft. Sumpter. It wasn't hurting anything. Canadians have managed to get along with all them Frenchies on St Pierre and Miquelon smack dab in the mouth of the St Lawrence for way over a century.

Firing on Ft. Sumpter was just like some wimp punching Mike Tyson in the nose, and expecting to get away with it.

Much like telling the wife you have no respect for, that you would rather kill her than let her divorce.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 10:09:16 PM »
I fail to see any connection  ???

It is a waste of time to discuss the morality of secession.
But the South had a greater number of foolish politicians, as well as better generals.

The Civil War was the dumbest thing, bar none, that the US ever did.

They could have freed all the slaves and sent them through Harvard for what it cost.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 11:20:58 PM »
I fail to see any connection  ???

It is a waste of time to discuss the morality of secession.
But the South had a greater number of foolish politicians, as well as better generals.

The Civil War was the dumbest thing, bar none, that the US ever did.

They could have freed all the slaves and sent them through Harvard for what it cost.

And we could send the whole of our prison population thru ivy leage educations for the same money as it takes to cage them , if they could just develop the required attitude.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 03:25:10 AM »

====================

Actually, I think he was having fun taking a poke at B.  :D

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 11:34:48 AM »
Actually, I think he was having fun taking a poke at B.  Cheesy

I don;t dispute that.

I just think it is grotesque that people make a big deal over whether God should be mentioned in an oath to the Flag.