Author Topic: Epic sanctimony  (Read 2477 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Epic sanctimony
« on: November 17, 2006, 09:47:16 PM »
Good Riddance To The Gingrichites
CBS' Meyer: GOP 'Chess Club' Ruled The House For 12 Years And Won't Be Missed

WASHINGTON, Nov. 16, 2006
Former Rep. Newt Gingrich led the "Contract With America" crowd in 1994. (AP)

History reveals that often great leaders and intellectuals appear in clusters, inspiring and motivating each other to extraordinary achievement ... The opposite is also true.

(CBS) This commentary was written by CBSNews.com's Dick Meyer.

This is a story I should have written 12 years ago when the "Contract with America" Republicans captured the House in 1994. I apologize.

Really, it's just a simple thesis: The men who ran the Republican Party in the House of Representatives for the past 12 years were a group of weirdos. Together, they comprised one of the oddest legislative power cliques in our history. And for 12 years, the media didn't call a duck a duck, because that's not something we're supposed to do.

I'm not talking about the policies of the Contract for America crowd, but the character. I'm confident that 99 percent of the population — if they could see these politicians up close, if they watched their speeches and looked at their biographies — would agree, no matter what their politics or predilections.

I'm confident that if historians ever spend the time on it, they'll confirm my thesis. Same with forensic psychiatrists. I have discussed this with scores of politicians, staffers, consultants and reporters since 1994 and have found few dissenters.

Politicians in this country get a bad rap. For the most part, they are like any high-achieving group in America, with roughly the same distribution of pathologies and virtues. But the leaders of the GOP House didn't fit the personality profile of American politicians, and they didn't deviate in a good way. It was the Chess Club on steroids.

The iconic figures of this era were Newt Gingrich, Richard Armey and Tom Delay. They were zealous advocates of free markets, low taxes and the pursuit of wealth; they were hawks and often bellicose; they were brutal critics of big government.

Yet none of these guys had success in capitalism. None made any real money before coming to Congress. None of them spent a day in uniform. And they all spent the bulk of their adult careers getting paychecks from the big government they claimed to despise. Two resigned in disgrace.

Having these guys in charge of a radical conservative agenda was like, well, putting Mark Foley in charge of the Missing and Exploited Children Caucus. Indeed, Foley was elected in the Class of '94 and is not an inappropriate symbol of their regime.

More than the others, Newton Leroy Gingrich lived out a very special hypocrisy. In addition to the above biographical dissonance, Gingrich was one of the most sharp-tongued, articulate and persuasive attack dogs in modern politics. His favorite target was the supposed immorality and corruption of the Democratic Party. With soaring rhetoric, he condemned his opponents as anti-American and dangerous to our country's family values — "grotesque" was a favorite word.

Yet this was a man who was divorced twice — the first time when his wife was hospitalized for cancer treatment, the second time after an affair was revealed.

Gingrich made his bones in the party by relentlessly attacking Democratic corruption, yet he was hounded from office because of a series of serious ethics questions. He posed as a reformer of the House, yet championed a series of deforms that made the legislative process more closed, more conducive to hiding special interest favors and less a forum for genuine debate.

And he did it all with epic sanctimony.

Dick Meyer is the editorial director of CBSNews.com, based in Washington.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/15/opinion/meyer/main2182755.shtml
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Epic sanctimony
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 11:19:42 PM »
Newt's rehabilitation must be near complete. I notice he has been under a flurry of attacks recently.

Mucho

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 02:43:13 AM »
Newt's rehabilitation must be near complete. I notice he has been under a flurry of attacks recently.

Newt , like Trent , shall rise again, but the South will always be a downer.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 03:16:14 AM »
Newt , like Trent , shall rise again, but the South will always be a downer.

Your insults are trite and predictable.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 03:31:01 AM »
Former Rep. Newt Gingrich led the "Contract With America" crowd in 1994...... (AP)

And we were a much greater country, for it.  Thanks for the reminder, Lanya
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 06:55:50 AM »
After reading that editorial, I have to say that if anyone would recognize sanctimony, Dick Meyer is the guy. He hasn't reached epic levels yet, but he is clearly working on it.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 04:10:15 PM »
The Newtster's "Contract on America" was just a ruse to get these turkeys elected. The most important of the elements on this contract --term limits-- was voted on only once and was never passed. Once elected, these schmucks began their real mission: pork for the wealthy, toys for the military, saber-rattling for the imperialists, ever higher profits for the ruling class.

The media regulations were buggered, and now huge conglomerates like Clearchannel dominate the supposedly public airwaves.

Gingrich was forced out because of his infidelity and his crapulous peddling of his ideas at public expense. Gringrich differs from guys like Lott only because he is intelligent and devious, while they are mediocre and obvious.

Only in his mind will Gingrich ever rise from the much of ratwing pundeitry and graze once more at the public trough.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."