Author Topic: More Truth for The Fooled to Call Racist Because it Concerns Race  (Read 12649 times)

Mucho

Diversity In Cannon Fodder
By Eugene Robinson
Tuesday, November 14, 2006; A31

It didn't work. The Republican Party put up three high-profile black candidates to try to weaken the bond between the Democratic Party and African Americans, and all three got slammed by the voters, big-time. After a week of reflection, maybe Ken Blackwell, Lynn Swann and Michael Steele have come to understand that they were never intended to be viable candidates. From the start, they were more like cannon fodder.

There is no reason Republicans can't someday win a big share of the African American vote. All the GOP has to do is adopt policies that most black Americans believe will work to their advantage, rather than leave them behind. Oh, and Republicans also need to drop all those coded appeals to white racists, such as the infamous "Playboy party" ad that helped defeat Democrat Harold Ford Jr. in Tennessee.

Instead of making a legitimate play for the black vote, Republicans convinced themselves that tokenism would be enough. Judging from last Tuesday's returns, they didn't convince anybody else.

Whatever Karl Rove was smoking when he issued all those hyper-confident preelection forecasts, he and other Republican strategists couldn't have seriously thought that Ken Blackwell would win the race for governor of Ohio. Blackwell's far-right views are too extreme for a state so evenly divided between red and blue, and his controversial tenure as Ohio's secretary of state -- his decisions may have decided who won that state in the 2004 presidential contest, and thus who won the White House -- ensured that Democrats would be motivated to come out and vote against him.

If Blackwell's candidacy was a long shot, Swann's run for governor of Pennsylvania was more of a joke. The Republicans chose as their candidate a man who was one of the finest wide receivers ever to play in the National Football League -- and who really should have stuck with football.

Swann, a political novice, lost his race by 21 percentage points. He did better than the experienced Blackwell, who lost by 24 points. Swann was merely unimpressive; Blackwell was scary.

Michael Steele's run for the Senate was another story. Steele, Maryland's lieutenant governor, was recruited by the White House to run in what has historically been a Democratic stronghold. He was another sacrificial lamb, like Blackwell and Swann, an African American face meant as a demonstration to voters that the Republican Party had finally become serious about diversity.

Then funny things started happening. Steele's white opponent, Rep. Ben Cardin, ran an unimaginative and plodding campaign. Steele, on the other hand, proved to be a natural on the trail.

Steele's television ads deserve a page in the annals of American politics. Shot against a white background, they had the minimalist look and post-postmodern sensibility of those commercials for Apple or the Gap. They managed to deliver all image and no substance -- and, yes, I meant to use those absolute terms "all" and "no.'' Speaking to the camera, Steele told voters he knew what they were thinking -- but didn't specify what that might be. He promised to be a different kind of senator -- again, no hint of what that might mean. About the only thing the ads firmly established was that Steele likes puppies.

Republican strategists looked at the numbers and saw that Steele might actually win as long as he kept pretending not to be a Republican. Several prominent black Democrats, piqued that there were no African Americans at the top of the ticket in Maryland, endorsed Steele. Some analysts saw the race as a toss-up.

Last week Steele lost by 10 points. That's better than Blackwell and Swann did, but still a landslide.

Nationwide, the black vote went overwhelmingly to Democratic candidates, as usual. In some races, there were indications that Latino voters are becoming angry about the Republicans' demagoguery over the immigration issue.

I remember attending the 2000 Republican convention, when the party made a great show of supposed inclusion. On the podium, you saw a rainbow of speakers and performers. Out in the hall, the number of black and brown faces was statistically insignificant.

Maybe someday the Republican Party will make a serious play for minority voters, but it won't be with a platform of tax cuts for the wealthy and indiscriminate spending cuts for social programs. The party will never break through until it manages to dispel its image of hostility toward policies that seek to lift up the disadvantaged. African Americans would love to have a real choice between the two parties, and maybe we will someday.

In the meantime, Republicans, don't bother with tokens. They don't fool anybody.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/13/AR2006111301053_pf.html

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: More Truth for The Fooled to Call Racist Because it Concerns Race
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 02:13:19 PM »
There is something that Republicans can do.

An increaseing number of Black people are upper middle class or rich.

If it becomes more common for Black people to be successfull and /or well educated it will become more common for them to vote their own minds and in their individual intrest.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 02:38:22 PM »
If it becomes more common for Black people to be successfull and /or well educated it will become more common for them to vote their own minds and in their individual intrest.

So, currently, in your opinion Plane, African-Americans aren't educated or wealthy enough to vote "their own minds and in their own individual interests" ?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 03:13:02 PM »
So, currently, in your opinion Plane, African-Americans aren't educated or wealthy enough to vote "their own minds and in their own individual interests" ?

I don't think he said that at all. But i certainly agree that with the advent of a black middle and upper class (Buppies) you have more citizens exploring membership in parties other than the democrats.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 04:03:07 PM »

He seems to make a direct correlation between Black people achieving "success" and the increase of the rate of black people voting "their own minds and in their individual intrest."

Does that not imply that African-Americans do not currently vote "their own minds and in their individual intrest" because they lack such "success?"

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Mucho

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 04:38:50 PM »
There is something that Republicans can do.

I have heard it said that Dems help the poor group of people,whoever it might be at any given time, to become integrated and successful in the US whereupon they become Repubs. All I am hoping is that some stay and help others to do the same.Repubs can be the greedy shits they want to be , but someone has to care for others until we truly reach the land of mil & honey and we aint there yet, Honey.  :-*

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 05:26:35 PM »
Does that not imply that African-Americans do not currently vote "their own minds and in their individual intrest" because they lack such "success?"

I can't speak for Plane but i do know that W garnered more of the 'Black" vote than many of his predessors. The question then becomes is that a result of integration and educational efforts and economic advancement or is that just a normal statistic that reflects a certain percentage always marching to a different drummer no matter the demographic they belong to.

I happen to think it is a trend and i think more partisan democrats believe it to or why the furious attacks against those who dare wander from the beaten path.

I think the discussion is largely academic anyway as anyone who follows demagraphics realize that brown is the new black.

Mucho

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 05:47:32 PM »

I think the discussion is largely academic anyway as anyone who follows demagraphics realize that brown is the new black.

Browns will never be the new Blacks. We have assimilated many previous "browns ". The Blacks and Indians are different from any other racial group. They have a special place in the US wall of white shame.The Indians were already here and we brutally forced them out of and the Blacks were brutally forced in to this land.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 06:08:44 PM »
Sorry Knute, White Guilt doesn't work on me. Besides i'm just looking at the numbers. And yes Hispanics do seem to assimilate pretty well.

Mucho

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 07:08:27 PM »
Sorry Knute, White Guilt doesn't work on me. Besides i'm just looking at the numbers. And yes Hispanics do seem to assimilate pretty well.

Quilt doesnt work on Sociopaths either. No I am not calling you one. Just observing. Thanx for admitting you were wrong once. (But I bet you will find you were mistaken about that).

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 08:41:24 PM »
Quilt doesnt work on Sociopaths either.

It works best for little old ladies.

They get together in groups to quilt.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 08:48:03 PM »

============================================================
Who says Black people don't vote their own minds and individual interests NOW?

Who are you to assume that voting for Juniorbush and similar clowns is in their interests?

If you are interested in what wealthier Black folks think and do, and how that relates to politics, observe what goes on in Prince Georges (PG) County, Maryland. There are more wealthy Black folks there than anywhere else.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 08:55:42 PM »
Who are you to assume that voting for Juniorbush and similar clowns is in their interests?

Who are you to assume that it is not?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 08:57:17 PM »
Quilt doesnt work on Sociopaths either. No I am not calling you one. Just observing. Thanx for admitting you were wrong once. (But I bet you will find you were mistaken about that).

Where was i wrong?

Mucho

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 10:44:10 PM »

Where was i wrong?

Then:
 And yes Hispanics do seem to assimilate pretty well.

After I said:

Browns will never be the new Blacks. We have assimilated many previous "browns ". The Blacks and Indians are different from any other racial group. They have a special place in the US wall of white shame.The Indians were already here and we brutally forced them out of and the Blacks were brutally forced in to this land.