Author Topic: Change is NOT Needed, thank you  (Read 2758 times)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Change is NOT Needed, thank you
« on: November 16, 2008, 09:36:58 AM »
Deep-Red Region Has Obama Blues :  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122671283257730271.html

A Different Perspective.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Cynthia

Re: Change is NOT Needed, thank you
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 11:32:41 PM »
Anxiety about the political future has become common in rural Republican areas in Texas and much of the energy belt that stretches north through Oklahoma all the way to the Dakotas. These places prospered under George W. Bush, and even when residents didn't agree with him, at least they were confident the former oilman and Texas governor knew their concerns.

He knew THEIR concerns? Of course he did.

Cal Jillson, a professor of political science at Southern Methodist University, says voters feel uneasy now that the electoral map tilts blue: "They know the pendulum has swung in the other direction and they're standing there in the deep red," she said

Welcome to the world of the swinging pendulum.

Or as Mr. Willis puts it, "It's common knowledge that the very liberal side of the Democratic party is not going to have this part of the world's interests at heart."

Is there a possibility that this just isn't true? I see Obama as an intelligent gent. Perhaps there's room for all the world's interests in his administration.

Still, after finishing a game of gin rummy on Wednesday morning at the Smoke House Family Restaurant, Mr. Courson said, "I'm willing to give Obama a chance. I didn't vote for him, but that's the way it goes."

That would be me!

Some of the other 7:30 a.m. regulars at the restaurant are not so willing. "Everything that Obama stands for or that he knows is corruption,"

Why corruption...just curious...BT? can you answer this one?

Texas politics are already changing, in part because of an influx of Hispanics and college graduates who are more likely to vote Democratic. "Rapid demographic change leads to political change faster than you might think," says Ruy Teixeira, a demographer for several liberal think tanks, who argues that even Texas will eventually turn blue.

As is the state of New Mexico.  Frankly, I see a new view of the world ...and if it doesn't work out...get out the pendulum.

When the party sponsored a booth at the annual town festival, "a lot of people walked by like this," she says, shielding her face with her hand. "I'm not kidding."

Now, that would be Texas for ya.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 11:41:51 PM »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 11:46:24 PM »
No party has any monopoly on corruption. In Texas, where the Republicans dominate politics, most of the corruption is committed by Republicans as well: DeLay, Armey, Abramoff .

With every election, the Latino population of Texas grows. Eventually there will be a Mexican-American Democratic Governor, Senators and a bunch of Representatives: it's pretty much inevitable.

There is the immigration rate, the naturalization rate and a higher birthrate among Latinos that make this inevitable.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 01:11:26 AM »
Corruption?

Chicago?

Thought those were synonyms.

Rezko was to Illinois what Abramoff was on the national level.

Abramoff paid for a plane trip to Scotland for GOP legislators.

Rezko made it possible for Obama to buy his house.

I'm sure the transaction was aboveboard.

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 02:22:20 AM »
Many people would be more comfortable with Obama if he were open with regard to his connections with people in his past; transparency in all things political being a major selling point these days, it would behoove him to practice what he preaches.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 05:36:56 AM »
No party has any monopoly on corruption. In Texas, where the Republicans dominate politics, most of the corruption is committed by Republicans as well: DeLay, Armey, Abramoff .

With every election, the Latino population of Texas grows. Eventually there will be a Mexican-American Democratic Governor, Senators and a bunch of Representatives: it's pretty much inevitable.

There is the immigration rate, the naturalization rate and a higher birthrate among Latinos that make this inevitable.

What sort of corruption is DeLay supposed to have been comitting?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 12:18:09 PM »
That he has an R after his name.  Isn't that enough?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle