Author Topic: Biblical mandates about marriage  (Read 1397 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Biblical mandates about marriage
« on: November 26, 2008, 03:24:41 PM »
Any good religious person believes prayer should be balanced by action. So here, in support of the Prayer Team's admirable goals, is a proposed Constitutional Amendment codifying marriage entirely on biblical principles:

* Marriage in the United States shall consist of a union between one man and one or more women. (Gen 29:17-28; II Sam 3:2-5; Matthew 25:1)
    * Marriage shall not impede a man's right to take concubines in addition to his wife or wives. (II Sam 5:13; I Kings 11:3; II Chron11:21)
    * A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed. (Deut 22:13-21)
    * Marriage of a believer and a non-believer shall be forbidden. (Gen 24:3; Num 25:1-9; Ezra 9:12; Neh 10:30)
    * Since marriage is for life, neither this Constitution nor the constitution of any state, nor any state or federal law, shall be construed to permit divorce. (Deut 22:19; Mark 10:9)
    * If a married man dies without children, his brother shall marry the widow. If he refuses to marry his brother's widow or deliberately does not give her children, he shall pay a fine of one shoe and be otherwise punished in a manner to be determined by law. (Gen. 38:6-10; Deut 25:5-10)
    * In lieu of marriage, if there are no acceptable men in your town, it is required that you get your dad drunk and have sex with him (even if he had previously offered you up as a sex toy to men young and old), tag-teaming with any sisters you may have. Of course, this rule applies only if you are female. (Gen 19:31-36)

A fine of one shoe seems less onerous than a fine of two shoes, but I suppose back then you could just go the cobbler and have him cobble you up another one.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 03:27:24 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Biblical mandates about marriage
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 04:35:41 PM »
Good thing we don't live in a theocracy       ::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 08:26:16 PM »
Good thing we don't live in a theocracy

Especially a Biblical theocracy.  I posted this because I thought that it might be somewhat enlightening to the anti-gay threads that seem to run through this forum on a regular basis.

I am pretty sure that the United States is not mentioned in any version of the Bible.

Neither is the Constitution mentioned. The entire concept of a constitution is alien to the Bible and the culture from whence it came, especially the part about the separation between Church and State.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:22:42 PM »
Good thing we don't live in a theocracy

Especially a Biblical theocracy.  I posted this because I thought that it might be somewhat enlightening to the anti-gay threads that seem to run through this forum on a regular basis.

Why?  That doesn't make any sense.  No one I was reading, Pooch included, was claiming that current law be directly linked to the Bible.  So, again, your enlightning, makes no sense.  Best stick with being a spelling Nazi

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 10:25:11 PM »
The fact that you and others believe that marriage must only be permitted between a man and a woman stems directly from the Bible. Had Jesus been cool about, say, Paul and Timothy getting married, you'd have no complaints.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 12:46:04 AM »
The fact that you and others believe that marriage must only be permitted between a man and a woman stems directly from the Bible. Had Jesus been cool about, say, Paul and Timothy getting married, you'd have no complaints.

Yea......and?  There are many other acts of immorality & bad behavior we're to refrain ourselves from.  You don't see anyone proclaiming the need for more laws to prevent them, based on the Bible, do you?  As I said, pretty nonsensical on your part