Author Topic: Republicans should filibuster the auto bailout  (Read 5175 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Republicans should filibuster the auto bailout
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2008, 12:33:26 AM »
RR, Christians 4LG and Richpo all seem to be dittoheads, just some are more annoying than others.

I am hurt to be left off that list.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2008, 08:26:44 AM »
However just a few minutes of Rush gives anyone enough information to make a shit throwing monkey out of you.
================================
He's surely made one out of you. You are the shit throwingest monkey in here since the unlamented departure of Kramer
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

richpo64

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2008, 11:51:10 AM »
Ah, the ole "I know you are but what am I" defense.

You really got me there evil monkey

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2008, 12:04:28 PM »
Auto bailout bill dies in Senate

Senate Democrats and the White House failed to find 60 votes to end debate on a $14 billion auto bailout bill and bring it to a vote Thursday night, killing the measure for the year.

The 52-35 vote followed the collapse of negotiations between Senate Democrats and Republicans seeking a compromise.

"We have worked and worked and we can spend all night tonight, tomorrow, Saturday, and Sunday, and we're not going to get to the finish line," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said on the Senate floor before the vote. "That's just the way it is. There's too much difference between the two sides."

Reid acknowledged the bill would not survive the procedural vote.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said the sticking point was the United Auto Workers' refusal to set a "date certain" to put employees at U.S. auto manufacturers at "parity pay" with U.S. employees at foreign automakers in the United States.

Currently, analysts estimate the union workers at U.S. automakers make about $3 to $4 per hour more than the non-union U.S. employees of foreign automakers like Toyota and Honda, according to the Center for Automotive Research.

The House easily passed the bailout bill earlier this week, but it quickly ran into trouble in the Senate, where Republicans objected to several provisions. Negotiations Thursday involved a compromise proposal put forward by Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tennessee, but the senators could not reach agreement.

The collapse of negotiations could possibly doom General Motors to a bankruptcy and closure in the coming weeks, with Chrysler potentially following close behind.

While Ford Motor has more cash on hand to avoid an immediate crisis, its production could be disrupted by problems in the supplier base, as could the production of overseas automakers with U.S. plants such as Toyota Motor and Honda Motor. 

The struggling automakers may get some money anyway.

As part of their effort to urge skeptical Republicans to back the deal, Bush officials made clear that if Congress didn't act, the White House would have to step in to save Detroit from collapse with funds from the Troubled Asset Relief Program, according to the sources familiar with the conversations.

One of the sources said that a White House official made it clear to a GOP senator that would be the worst option, because the loan could go to the auto companies with few or no requirements along with it.

The sources asked not to be named because of the sensitivity of private conversations.

Democrats pressed the White House from the start to help Detroit by using some of the $700 billion for the financial sector, but the White House and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson refused.

"I would only hope that the president, who has worked so well with us for the past several weeks, would now consider using the TARP money," Reid said after Thursday night's vote.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/11/auto.bailout/?iref=mpstoryview

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2008, 02:25:05 PM »
We'll get through it. This is America. We have made the best of challenges before. We've already lost 1.2 million jobs over the past quarter. We will get through this. But we can't bail out the big three just because they are large and provide many jobs. What about the local mom and pop hardware store down the road forced to close up because of tough economic times? Where's their bailout money? They don't have millions to spend on lobbyists. Everybody is hurting right now. Sucking the government teat is not the answer.

Inflexible and intractable.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2008, 02:28:13 PM »
What is, Brass?  Where's your condemnation of Congress for not bailing out EVERY failing/struggling business??  Doesn't Home Depot have more employees than the big 3??  Oh that's right, not high in Union employment.  The pattern thus emerges
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 02:34:17 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2008, 02:57:15 PM »
What is, Brass?  Where's your condemnation of Congress for not bailing out EVERY failing/struggling business??  Doesn't Home Depot have more employees than the big 3??  Oh that's right, not high in Union employment.  The pattern thus emerges

You're making yet another assumption about me and I'm damned sick of it.

It is my position that unions have abused their power in the past but that is not a reason to forever condemn and outlaw the concept of unionizing.

How can someone like myself who has spent hours and hours theorizing on how to initiate an RBE be against bailouts in toto?  Answer:  I can't.

I think that WALMART WORKERS in the US should unionize and get a bigger piece of the WALMART pie.  I might actually start shopping there if they did.

BT is right.  If we don't bail these morons out (with heavy ropes, not strings attached) we are going to see another perhaps even worse Depression.

America has been pushing around paper for almost 30 years now and it's all coming crashing down now.   The best thing we can do, as a nation (if that matters), is start off with a rousing rendition of Khumbaya followed closely by a fullthroated chorus version of Canned Heat's Let's Work Together.

richpo64

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2008, 03:07:34 PM »
>>Inflexible and intractable.<<

Correct. The UAW is both those things. Had they been willing to serve the best interest of their members they could have avoided their complete destruction. They couldn't, and they unwittingly did the right thing for the country.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2008, 03:45:11 PM »

You're making yet another assumption about me and I'm damned sick of it.

It is my position that unions have abused their power in the past but that is not a reason to forever condemn and outlaw the concept of unionizing.

How can someone like myself who has spent hours and hours theorizing on how to initiate an RBE be against bailouts in toto?  Answer:  I can't.

I think that WALMART WORKERS in the US should unionize and get a bigger piece of the WALMART pie.  I might actually start shopping there if they did.

BT is right.  If we don't bail these morons out (with heavy ropes, not strings attached) we are going to see another perhaps even worse Depression.

America has been pushing around paper for almost 30 years now and it's all coming crashing down now.   The best thing we can do, as a nation (if that matters), is start off with a rousing rendition of Khumbaya followed closely by a fullthroated chorus version of Canned Heat's Let's Work Together.

I think the most important point right now is that everyone has to work together. Like BT said, negotiate for 2010. The unions and the employees have to budge a bit. And the GOP will have to budge some too.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2008, 04:05:30 PM »

You're making yet another assumption about me and I'm damned sick of it.  It is my position that unions have abused their power in the past but that is not a reason to forever condemn and outlaw the concept of unionizing.

Didn't ask that now, did I?  This isn't about condemning Unions.  Where's the condemnation aimed at Congress for not bailing out EVERY struggling/failing business??  In particular, those that don't have Union jobs??

And it will get worse, no matter what is done, but substantially worse, IF such a bailout is pushed.  Inflation will skyrocket, as soon as the economy starts to turn around, with all the added $$$$ printed by the Fed, in the system.  Unemployment will continue in ALL avenues of business, not just the auto industry, and there will be the Car Czar, appointed by Obama saying "look, they need more $$$$ or we are going to see another perhaps even worse Depression."  The politics of fear as exemplified by DC

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 04:25:25 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2008, 11:27:21 PM »
Labor is 10% of the cost of building the car.

When the feds bailed out the banks, they let the execs keep their huge salaries. They even let that insurance company go on its annual $400 per day spa retreat.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2008, 03:21:45 AM »
There's going to have to compromises across the board.

I have always been troubled by the loss of manufacturing capability and the factory jobs that went with it to over seas.

We didn't just export the jobs we exported self reliance.

I don't see why environmentalists, alternative energists  and job producing manufacturers can't work hand in hand.

We shuffle paper, we don't make things.

It's like Atlas Shrugged and Bonfire of the Vanities merged.

richpo64

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2008, 12:15:12 PM »
>>Labor is 10% of the cost of building the car.<<

I wonder where this number comes from. I can't verify it.