Author Topic: Van Johnson  (Read 1518 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Van Johnson
« on: December 16, 2008, 12:47:14 AM »
On December 12, 2008, Van Johnson, star of many a film, died in Nyack, New York. As a remembrance, on December 23 TCM will change its prime time and late night lineup and show a series of pretty good Van Johnson films. The line up will be:

In the Good Old Summertime-8:00 PM ET-A fun musical with Judy Garland and S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall. I've talked about this one elsewhere.

A Guy Named Joe-9:45 PM ET-A fantasy with Spencer Tracy and Irene Dunne. Tracy plays a W.W. II pilot who dies and is sent back to watch over over pilots, and eventually watches his still living sweetheart wooed by another pilot, Johnson.

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo-12:30 AM ET-Another W.W. II film, though this one is more for the guys. Johnson plays Lieutenant Ted Lawson, who flies a bomber in the first U.S. strike at Japan after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Spencer Tracy shows up in a supporting role as Lieutenant Colonel James Doolittle.

The Last Time I Saw Paris-2:30 AM ET-A good drama with Elizabeth Taylor, Donna Reed and Walter Pidgeon. Taylor and Reed play sisters who fall for writer at the end of W.W. II.

Thrill of a Romance-4:30 AM ET-I've never seen this one. It is the first paring of Johnson and Esther Williams. Williams plays a newlywed wife who falls in love with another man, Johnson, while her husband is away.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--