Author Topic: Some Things About Traffic That May Surprise You  (Read 3292 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Some Things About Traffic That May Surprise You
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 06:44:37 PM »
Oh hell, none of you have seen traffic and bad drivers until you've seen it here. Take the worst city you know for driving, that has the heaviest traffic, then remove all of the traffic laws (or have them so under-enforced that they're just a joke) and make sure that in most places you can't see the lane markers so everyone just drives every which way they want. No one can just drive in a straight line, one car behind the other - everyone at every second is trying to get around the person in front of them no matter what speed the traffic is moving at.

And merging? Not if you turn on a turn signal. Just push your ass in and hope not to get hit.

And don't forget - honk your horn all the time, at everything and everyone.

I hate driving in Amman.

Same in Saudi Arabia, and in Turkey when I was there in 75-76, and actually in quite a few of the countries I've been in. There actually are traffic laws - in Saudi Arabia, you can be flogged for speeding, reckless driving, etc - but they are widely ignored. Worse, in some countries, if your driver (cab driver, chauffer, whatever) is involved in an accident, you are personally at fault, the reasoning being he would not have been where he was when he had the accident if you had not hired him to take you wherever you were going. We were advised in Turkey that, if our cab was involved in an accident, throw a wad of lira at the driver and run like hell.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 01:33:57 AM »
Sounds like bumper cars

It is, actually. It's hard to find a car that looks nice here - being hit is a regular thing.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 01:47:19 AM »
Oh hell, none of you have seen traffic and bad drivers until you've seen it here. Take the worst city you know for driving, that has the heaviest traffic, then remove all of the traffic laws (or have them so under-enforced that they're just a joke) and make sure that in most places you can't see the lane markers so everyone just drives every which way they want. No one can just drive in a straight line, one car behind the other - everyone at every second is trying to get around the person in front of them no matter what speed the traffic is moving at.

And merging? Not if you turn on a turn signal. Just push your ass in and hope not to get hit.

I hate driving in Amman.

Same in Saudi Arabia, and in Turkey when I was there in 75-76, and actually in quite a few of the countries I've been in. There actually are traffic laws - in Saudi Arabia, you can be flogged for speeding, reckless driving, etc - but they are widely ignored. Worse, in some countries, if your driver (cab driver, chauffer, whatever) is involved in an accident, you are personally at fault, the reasoning being he would not have been where he was when he had the accident if you had not hired him to take you wherever you were going. We were advised in Turkey that, if our cab was involved in an accident, throw a wad of lira at the driver and run like hell.

Yes, exactly. I've heard that it is similar also in Cairo, Damascus, Beirut and Islamabad. In fact, some say Amman is the best of them all, except for U.A.E. - they actually built a proper infrastructure and enforce the laws.

It's hard to describe it accurately to someone who hasn't ever lived it. I wish I could strap a camera to the front of my car so that I could really show what it's like - beyond belief. And the buses, taxis and trucks hauling sheep or produce are the WORST and most hazardous. They all have a terrible tendency to "create" space on the road where none exists - the general idea being to get out of the way or get PUSHED out of the way. Quite literally; I have a recent scrape on the side of my car that proves that I didn't move fast enough when a taxi recently decided he wanted to create a space where I was driving. (And by the way, if the accident isn't bad enough to stop traffic, you just keep moving - the police only show up for extreme accidents.)

I was excited to have driving freedom when I bought my car and to be away from taxi drivers who loved to spout anti-American sentiments, but as it turns out I try to stick to driving only where I have to - to work and home and very little else.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 05:44:25 PM »

I hate driving in Amman.

Yes, exactly. I've heard that it is similar also in Cairo, Damascus, Beirut and Islamabad. In fact, some say Amman is the best of them all, except for U.A.E. - they actually built a proper infrastructure and enforce the laws.

It's hard to describe it accurately to someone who hasn't ever lived it. I wish I could strap a camera to the front of my car so that I could really show what it's like - beyond belief. And the buses, taxis and trucks hauling sheep or produce are the WORST and most hazardous. They all have a terrible tendency to "create" space on the road where none exists - the general idea being to get out of the way or get PUSHED out of the way. Quite literally; I have a recent scrape on the side of my car that proves that I didn't move fast enough when a taxi recently decided he wanted to create a space where I was driving. (And by the way, if the accident isn't bad enough to stop traffic, you just keep moving - the police only show up for extreme accidents.)

I was excited to have driving freedom when I bought my car and to be away from taxi drivers who loved to spout anti-American sentiments, but as it turns out I try to stick to driving only where I have to - to work and home and very little else.

When I was a USN Sailor , I met expats now and then , it seems like half the worlds labor is done by Pakistanis and half the worlds management is done by Englishmen.

What is the situation of foreign workers where you are?

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 03:01:39 AM »

I hate driving in Amman.

When I was a USN Sailor , I met expats now and then , it seems like half the worlds labor is done by Pakistanis and half the worlds management is done by Englishmen.

What is the situation of foreign workers where you are?

In Jordan, most foreign workers from the West come in to do management, but also a lot of special programs like USAID and different UN projects for Palestine and Iraq (Jordan being the safe place to actually set up an office).

Much of the labor in almost the whole of the Middle East is done by Egyptians. For some reason, Egyptians are the lowest rung of the ladder in society, perhaps because they come from such poverty that they're willing to do almost anything at all. And whatever they receive to do anything at all is better than they'd make at home.

Come to think of it, the Egyptians are to the Middle East as the Mexicans are to Americans in a way. They slip over borders and do a lot of "under the table" work. They are also highly resented. There's a joke about them - remember in the days before cable television when the programming for the day would end and then the station would go to "white noise?" The joke here is that hundreds of Egyptians are hired to say "SHHHHHHHHHH" all night to create the white noise.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 09:44:01 AM »
Come to think of it, the Egyptians are to the Middle East as the Mexicans are to Americans in a way. They slip over borders and do a lot of "under the table" work. They are also highly resented. There's a joke about them - remember in the days before cable television when the programming for the day would end and then the station would go to "white noise?" The joke here is that hundreds of Egyptians are hired to say "SHHHHHHHHHH" all night to create the white noise.

Well, that's a joke that no one will understand in the coming years, once the middle east has converted to all digital broadcasts as the US is getting ready to do. People won't be able to appreciate the majesty of Saturn and Jupiter's voices anymore.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 10:52:37 AM »
People won't be able to appreciate the majesty of Saturn and Jupiter's voices anymore.

That's okay. Scientists can always listen in. You can always build a crystal AM radio, and after a couple of centuries of ssssssssssssssssss, those majestic voices may have lost their majesty.

Or perhaps Jupiter and Saturn are majestic, but their voices aren't.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 11:16:48 AM »
That's okay. Scientists can always listen in. You can always build a crystal AM radio, and after a couple of centuries of ssssssssssssssssss, those majestic voices may have lost their majesty.

Well, we always got Youtube...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3fqE01YYWs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4CPMYDG2RE[/youtube]
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 11:42:24 AM »
Interesting and somewhat spooky, but boring after a short while.

The Earth's neighbors are less annoying than my neighbor, whose sons have moved in and seem to be dedicated to the hobby of collecting small, yappy dogs and chaining them outside.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."