Author Topic: damn right -I`ll think twice!!  (Read 1225 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
damn right -I`ll think twice!!
« on: December 19, 2008, 02:43:11 AM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/18/BAUV14QQIS.DTL

"If you act reasonably," he said, "there should be no fear of being sued."

he`s full of it.

very few is trained in safety and he expect people in a emergency todo the right thing without mistakes.

the problem is the law protect trained people ,but not untrained folks.

so anybody uncertified better just walk away

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: damn right -I`ll think twice!!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 07:12:19 AM »
In the movies, cars pretty much always blow up. In reality, this is much less frequent. In a Chuck Norris movie, all cars blow up about 30 seconds after Chuck gets out of them. So most people think cars are going to blow up, even though they usually don't.

The rescuer in this case meant well, and should not be liable, in my opinion. But I haven't seen all the testimony, which might have some extenuating circumstances in it.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 08:09:48 AM »
So most people think cars are going to blow up, even though they usually don't.

It takes very unusual circumstances (or, in the case of NBC reporting, explosive charges) to make a vehicle explode.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 08:12:56 AM »
It takes very unusual circumstances (or, in the case of NBC reporting, explosive charges) to make a vehicle explode.
=========================================

I agree. This is certainly true. Hollywood is far more guilty of contributing to this faulty belief than NBC, by the way.

But the point is that people BELIEVE that cars will explode. Which makes them tend to try to drag others out to avoid them dying in the explosion.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 08:17:06 AM »
Hollywood is far more guilty of contributing to this faulty belief than NBC, by the way.

Except that Hollywood tells people it's fictional, while NBC tries to claim that it's factual reporting.

NBC continues to claim that it's report was based in reality even though it's evidence was falsified - just like Dan Rather and the Bush memos.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 08:42:43 AM »
Pleae, NBC does not blow up cars as a routine matter. This is not germane to the argument at hand.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 08:47:28 AM »
Pleae, NBC does not blow up cars as a routine matter. This is not germane to the argument at hand.

No, they only do it when presenting a report on how easy some vehicles will blow up.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 09:34:04 AM »
No, they only do it when presenting a report on how easily some vehicles will blow up.

No, they did it once, long ago. Once. It is not a standard practice.

If you get drunk once, that does not mean you are a lush.

This is still of no importance whatever to this topic.
People do not have the impression that cars blow up because of one bogus NBC story years and years ago.

They have this impression because of seeing thousands of cars blow up on TV and in the movies as entertainment.
Hollywood does it because people like to see stuff blown up.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 10:41:05 AM by Xavier_Onassis »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 09:49:53 AM »
People do not have the impression that cars blow up because of one bogus NBC story years and years ago.

People still make false claims about Pintos and GM pickup trucks based these types of false reporting, not based on Hollywood movies.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 10:19:52 AM »
so does this mean tv should make psa about about car accident which it`s just better to leave the person alone than risk injury the person furthur?
because it`s doubtful most people will remember the proper way to remove someone from television.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 10:40:18 AM »
so does this mean tv should make psa about about car accident which it`s just better to leave the person alone than risk injury the person furthur?
because it`s doubtful most people will remember the proper way to remove someone from television.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
It could be useful to do this, but the odds are that a psa on the subject would be inadequate. Treatment of the injured is a more difficult matter than one can explain well in a 30 second ad. I can think of few psa's that were useful. Florida Power and LIght's ads about not touching their wires are the only ones that have made a memorable impression on me.

It would be useful to mention that cars as a rule do not blow up after being hit in accidents in real life nearly so often as they do in Chuck Norris movies.

Pintos were horrid little cars, and more than a few of them did blow up when hit. Vegas were even worse, because of the tendency of the engines to overheat and the cylinders to become ovoid. Chevy wanted to unercut Pinto's prices, so they left out the steel cylinder sleeves Cosford designed. Pinto wanted to be even cheaper, so they left out a device which would have prevented gasoline from spraying on passengers when the tank was ruptured by the differential.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 12:24:17 PM by Xavier_Onassis »