Author Topic: Killer Chic: Hollywood's Sick Love Affair with Che Guevara  (Read 4673 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Killer Chic: Hollywood's Sick Love Affair with Che Guevara
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2008, 11:27:34 AM »
Che failed because he failed to adequately assess the degree of support he could count upon from the terrorized Bolivian peasantry and the essential prematurity of his armed resistance movement.  More time should have been spent on encouraging indigenous leadership of the Movement so that the campesinos could have found the courage to resist the puppet government.  People idolize Che for his courage, his selflessness and his dedication to the Revolution, i.e. to the common people.  His love of humanity.

==============================================
Not exactly. The Juan Jose Torres government (1970-71) was leftist, and most of the peasants in the area where Che was trying to start a rebellion had recently acquired the land from the government at no charge. The land was dense yunga, like a jungle. Strategically, it was like trying to overthrow the government of the US from the Brooks Range in Alaska or the Idaho Panhandle.
The peasants may or may not have been terrorized, but more important were the facts that they were unaware of who Che was and what he wanted to do, as well as there was a huge reward on his head.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2008, 12:05:51 PM »
Thanks for the correction.  I read the diaries a long time ago so my recollection may be flawed.  Why was he trying to overthrow a leftist government and how "leftist" could it have been if it accepted U.S. military aid in tracking down Che?  Wouldn't there have had to be a quid pro quo involved?

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2008, 01:45:19 PM »

People idolize Che for his courage, his selflessness and his dedication to the Revolution, i.e. to the common people.  His love of humanity.

Yes, I am sure that is exactly why people idolize Guevara. But as I said, in this day and age someone would have to be pretty ignorant to buy into it.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

richpo64

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2008, 01:49:21 PM »
His love of humanity??????????????????????

Good Lord man. You have got to be freaking kidding.

BSB

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2008, 08:03:59 PM »
>>Thanks for the correction. I read the diaries a long time ago.....<<

Ah huh.

As Michael said, nothing he posts is original, unless of course he has forgotten what he read, than it's all original BS.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2008, 10:20:12 PM »
Thanks for the correction.  I read the diaries a long time ago so my recollection may be flawed.  Why was he trying to overthrow a leftist government and how "leftist" could it have been if it accepted U.S. military aid in tracking down Che?  Wouldn't there have had to be a quid pro quo involved?

===============================
Che planned to go to Bolivia before the Torres government came to power, mostly because Bolivia shares borders with seven other nations, and has been traditionally very unstable. So far 60 presidents in 173 years. That is an average of one every 2.88 years.

Bolivia has received aid from the US for a very long time, and part of the terms at the time allowed military "advisement", ostensibly to deal with illegal cocaine export as well as guerrilla activity. Torres had little choice to allow this. The quid pro quo was the US gave money to Bolivia in return for access and military training.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2008, 11:04:41 PM »
<<As Michael said, nothing he posts is original, unless of course he has forgotten what he read, than it's all original BS.>>

Get over it, BSB, when I'm wrong I'm the first to admit it.  I never claimed to be infallible and I'm thankful to anyone who's able  to correct me.  Which in this group doesn't include too many people.  I can appreciate why you're afraid of substantial debate on the issues, where you're all fulla shit, and prefer to confine your "arguments" to ad hominem sniping and insults, but I really don't give a shit.  I'll continue saying what I have to say and you just keep on with your shit-smearing.  It too speaks volumes.

BSB

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2008, 11:17:22 PM »
Che Guevara was at one time a very competent guerilla leader. However, by the time he had been in Bolivia for a short while he was spent physically, and mentally, and his 15 minutes of fame, and hour of infamy were over. Anything else is pure mythology. 

BSB

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2008, 11:20:53 PM »
Afraid to debate issues with you, Mr. Tee? Please, why woud anyone debate issues with you? I've been watching you post the same childish junk for about 6 years.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2008, 11:30:50 PM »
<<Afraid to debate issues with you, Mr. Tee? Please, why woud anyone debate issues with you? I've been watching you post the same childish junk for about 6 years.>>

Exactly what I meant.  Interesting avoidance repertoire though, spanning the spectrum of "childish junk," "homicidal mania," "acute depression," etc.   Oh, well.  Let me know when you've got something of substance to add.  I'm always interested.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2008, 06:40:07 AM »
Afraid to debate issues with you, Mr. Tee? Please, why woud anyone debate issues with you? I've been watching you post the same childish junk for about 6 years.

Don't be too hard on MT, he may not be a real communist , but he is the best apporximation of one we have ever had.

If he agreed with You or I much at all he would be someone elese.