Author Topic: What's The Matter You Can't Take It  (Read 4426 times)

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's The Matter You Can't Take It
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 10:17:54 PM »
http://motherjones.com/riff/2009/06/letterman-palin-rape-africa

Hope I didn't keep you waiting too long.

That one took me all of about 10 seconds to find with a Google search of "letter protest Letterman."

Plenty more where that came from.  Check it out for yourself.

Did you bother to google Human Rights Campaign?
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 12:07:32 AM »
<<MT, if I understand this correctly, you are suggested that nobody here has heard of the Human Rights Campaign.  If that is what you meant, you are wrong.  They are, in fact, an extremely well-known gay-rights organization.  One of the first organizations my gay son got involved with - back in 1997 or so - was his high school chapter.   >>

The point I was making, Pooch, is that this was a relatively unknown, relatively insignificant organization.  Relative to what?  Relative to the GOP.  Relative to the DNC.  Relative to the National Organization of Women.  Relative to the NAACP. 

I didn't expect to be taken literally on a rhetorical statement like that, the obvious import of which was the relative obscurity of the organization, not the extent of the knowledge of the members of this group.

<<Why would you make that kind of guarantee when you don't know the group?  >>

Two reasons, Pooch, one, I didn't really think anyone else had heard about it because I myself had never heard about it, and two, that it didn't really matter if one or two group members HAD heard about it, since the statement was purely rhetorical in intent.

<<That was rather a foolish thing to do, even if you turned out to be right. >>

Pooch, I'd pay tens of thousands of dollars in gratitude if that were the most foolish thing I've ever done in my life.  It is so insignificant as an act of foolishness that I can not envisage myself losing one second of sleep over it.

<<After all, however well read and experienced a person is there is a hell of a lot all of us don't know.>>

Amen to that, Pooch.  I would never claim otherwise.  That's the theory behind the jury system, as it happens, and it is very true and very profound.  Also one never knows what the other guy knows or doesn't know.  Hope, on that theme, that you caught the film, Slumdog Millionaire, a perfect illustration of the principle.

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 12:19:09 AM »
<<MT, if I understand this correctly, you are suggested that nobody here has heard of the Human Rights Campaign.  If that is what you meant, you are wrong.  They are, in fact, an extremely well-known gay-rights organization.  One of the first organizations my gay son got involved with - back in 1997 or so - was his high school chapter.   >>

The point I was making, Pooch, is that this was a relatively unknown, relatively insignificant organization.  Relative to what?  Relative to the GOP.  Relative to the DNC.  Relative to the National Organization of Women.  Relative to the NAACP. 

I didn't expect to be taken literally on a rhetorical statement like that, the obvious import of which was the relative obscurity of the organization, not the extent of the knowledge of the members of this group.

<<Why would you make that kind of guarantee when you don't know the group?  >>

Two reasons, Pooch, one, I didn't really think anyone else had heard about it because I myself had never heard about it, and two, that it didn't really matter if one or two group members HAD heard about it, since the statement was purely rhetorical in intent.

<<That was rather a foolish thing to do, even if you turned out to be right. >>

Pooch, I'd pay tens of thousands of dollars in gratitude if that were the most foolish thing I've ever done in my life.  It is so insignificant as an act of foolishness that I can not envisage myself losing one second of sleep over it.

<<After all, however well read and experienced a person is there is a hell of a lot all of us don't know.>>

Amen to that, Pooch.  I would never claim otherwise.  That's the theory behind the jury system, as it happens, and it is very true and very profound.  Also one never knows what the other guy knows or doesn't know.  Hope, on that theme, that you caught the film, Slumdog Millionaire, a perfect illustration of the principle.

Honestly, tried but couldn't sit through it.  I know, I know.  But just couldn't.  Something about the kid getting covered in poo just made the wife and I say, OK, it has to get better but it's just not worth it.

But just for the record, there is no "relative" or otherwise obscurity to this group.  Seriously, it is not only very well-known, but the largest gay and lesbian advocate group in the country.  It is like saying NORML or NARAL or the NAACP is relatively obscure.  Not everyone knows them, but pretty much anybody up on the subject matter does.

I have to say this ranks up there with those on the right who don't recognize the Bush Doctrine.  Look at http://www.hrc.org

Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 12:45:37 AM »
<<Did you bother to google Human Rights Campaign?>>

I did now.  It's an impressive and worthy organization, and I certainly meant no disrespect to it, but I stand by my earlier comment that it's relatively obscure and relatively insignificant in terms of the size of its membership, taking nothing away from the loftiness of its goals.  (725,000 claimed members, for example, as against MoveOn's claimed 5 million)  

For Kramer to take its lonely protest as an indication of the "Gay World" coming unglued would be like someone taking the latest temper tantrum of B'Nai B'rith as an indication that "the Jews" were becoming unglued.

PS - just read this comment - - <<But just for the record, there is no "relative" or otherwise obscurity to this group.  Seriously, it is not only very well-known, but the largest gay and lesbian advocate group in the country.  It is like saying NORML or NARAL or the NAACP is relatively obscure.  Not everyone knows them, but pretty much anybody up on the subject matter does.>> - -

to which my response is, (a) everything's relative and (b) while I've heard of NORML, NARAL and the NAACP, and could tell you what each of the acronyms stands for, I had not heard of the Human Rights Campaign, although I have heard of PFLAG, Gay-Straight Alliance and other gay or gay-friendly organizations.  Since I consider myself reasonably well-read, reasonably experienced and reasonably worldly, my not having heard of a particular organization is one of the criteria I use to determine its obscurity or lack thereof.

Also - - sorry you didn't stay for the rest of Slumdog.  Great film, although I agree that early scene with the kid was hard to take.  Others that came later were much, much worse.  Really horrible, in fact.  It was a tale of good and evil, man's inhumanity to man, on a really staggering level, but I'm still glad I saw it.  If we never know that kind of evil exists, we're somehow functioning at a lower level of our humanity.  Acknowledging it, knowing it, is a first step.  Being revulsed by evil is a step up from not knowing about it.  Where you go from there is up to you.  Most of us never take that second step.

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 05:54:46 AM »
<<Did you bother to google Human Rights Campaign?>>

I did now.  It's an impressive and worthy organization, and I certainly meant no disrespect to it, but I stand by my earlier comment that it's relatively obscure and relatively insignificant in terms of the size of its membership, taking nothing away from the loftiness of its goals.  (725,000 claimed members, for example, as against MoveOn's claimed 5 million)  

Oh, OK.  Then you admit that MoveOn is relatively obscure, when compared to Mormons who have some 14 million members?   Or maybe ridiculously obscure, when compared with the number of eligible voters in America.  I would guess that more than 95% of eligible American voters are NOT members of MoveOn.  They are statistically insignificant.   Come to think of it, since Gay people - by their own estimate - make up about 10% of the population, 90 percent are not gay.  That small fringe of gays can be safely relegated to obscurity.  Membership is almost irrelevent to the notion of "obscurity."  Congress comprises less than .000002% of the population, but they are the most powerful organization in the nation by far.  HRC is a huge force in the gay community and in politics in general.  

No defintition of "obscure" except an MT-centric one, is accurate when describing HRC. You were just wrong, misinformed and jumped to a conclusion.  This inability to admit an error and correct it seems quite Bush-like.

For Kramer to take its lonely protest as an indication of the "Gay World" coming unglued would be like someone taking the latest temper tantrum of B'Nai B'rith as an indication that "the Jews" were becoming unglued.

No.  The HRC is a sufficiently well-known and large organization to speak for "the gay world" though no organization speaks for everyone in any commmunity.  Kramer's remark may have been exaggerated, but it is not invalid.  

PS - just read this comment - - <<But just for the record, there is no "relative" or otherwise obscurity to this group.  Seriously, it is not only very well-known, but the largest gay and lesbian advocate group in the country.  It is like saying NORML or NARAL or the NAACP is relatively obscure.  Not everyone knows them, but pretty much anybody up on the subject matter does.>> - -

to which my response is, (a) everything's relative and (b) while I've heard of NORML, NARAL and the NAACP, and could tell you what each of the acronyms stands for, I had not heard of the Human Rights Campaign, although I have heard of PFLAG, Gay-Straight Alliance and other gay or gay-friendly organizations.  Since I consider myself reasonably well-read, reasonably experienced and reasonably worldly, my not having heard of a particular organization is one of the criteria I use to determine its obscurity or lack thereof.

But that logic is arrogant and self-serving.  Applied to the world in general, that simply means that anyone who has not heard of the United Nations may consider it a "relatively obscure" organization.  You consider yourself well-read, wordly, etc.  Well so do a lot of people who are ignorant concerning things that do not appeal to them or to which they have not had exposure.  This is simply a situation in which you are misinformed, and rather surprisingly so.  If you wanted to describe my religion as "relatively obscure" that would be a reasonable claim, though it is becoming less so.  But if you wanted to describe the Shiites as a relative obscure branch of Islam, because most westerners had never heard of it until Ayatollah Khomeni came along, that would be a gross misrepresentation.   Oscurity is not a function of what YOU know, it is a function of what most of the population knowns within the affected community.  

Also - - sorry you didn't stay for the rest of Slumdog.  Great film, although I agree that early scene with the kid was hard to take.  Others that came later were much, much worse.  Really horrible, in fact.  It was a tale of good and evil, man's inhumanity to man, on a really staggering level, but I'm still glad I saw it.  If we never know that kind of evil exists, we're somehow functioning at a lower level of our humanity.  Acknowledging it, knowing it, is a first step.  Being revulsed by evil is a step up from not knowing about it.  Where you go from there is up to you.  Most of us never take that second step.

Your logic is sound (forgive me, I just finished watching the new "Star Trek" movie again) but there is also another side.  When I first joined the army, my brother gave me some "light reading" for on the plane.  When I opened it on the plane (it was gift-wrapped as a going-away present) it turned out to be a copy of Hustler magazine!  I had recently converted to the church and the gift was inappropriate, but given our upbringing (another issue entirely) he didn't know.  I was simply going to throw it away, but a cover tease on the Hustler magazine caught my attention.   It read "The most obscene photos ever published - inside!"  

Now, I had to look.  It wasn't that I was all hot and bothered about it,  I just wanted to figure out what could possibly justify the claim of "most obscene."  

BREAKING NEWS:  Here's a thing not to do: open a twelve pack of thin soda cans by poking a pocketknife into it.  We'll return you to your regularly scheduled rant after this message from "Bounty."

Where was I?  OK, so I open the Hustler to find out what is so "obscene."  It turns out to be actual photographs of war dead.  Seriously, decapitated bodies and things of that nature.  Now even then, I understood the point that publisher Larry Flynt was trying to make.  It was a valid social commentary.  But I didn't need to see that.  It was ironic (and incidentally unintentional on my brother's part) that I got this little message from Larry as I was literally on the plan headed for Basic Training.  That's an irony that you would appreciate, I'm sure.  But if I go and shell out four bucks or so for a dirty mag, I'm looking for a different kind of obscenity.  The point is, I don't watch a lot of movies.  I enjoy a well-made documentary from time-to-time for educational purposes, but usually if I plop my fat butt down on the couch and actually fire up the DVD player, I need some down time.  This is why, in spite of the hype, I will most certainly NOT be plunking down the bucks to see "Avatar."  I'll take my preaching on Sundays, thanks.  

So while I'm sure that SM is a great movie - I mean it was roundly applauded as a great movie, by many people whose opinions I respect - I'll pass on the poo.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 06:04:12 AM by Stray Pooch »

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 08:31:27 AM »
Good post, Pooch.

Google search on Human Rights Campaign - 66,000 hits
Stonewall Committee - 55,000
Mormon Church - 370,000 hits
Latter-Day Saints - 471,000
Mormons - 270,000
MoveOn - 160,000 hits
Democratic National Committee - 9,860,000
DNC - 673,000
PFLAG - 66,000
Gay-Straight Alliance - 124,000
Log Cabin Republicans - 44,000
Focus on Family OR Focus on the Family - 4,800
Moral Majority - 1,280,000

Even among gay-themed organizations, HRC, the supposedly biggest one, generates 66,000 hits as opposed to the Gay-Straight Alliance's 124,000.  It's on a par with PFLAG, which came to my attention only because of my dad's and uncle's attendance at a Gay Pride parade in support of my cousin, and barely ahead of Stonewall Committee.  I was somewhat surprised to see that it outranked Log Cabin Republicans.  Compared to the Democratic National Committee, they're pikers.  They're a fraction of the Mormons however designated.

I don't think I was out of line in calling them obscure.  I tend to take a kind of solipsistic approach to obscurity, but it's worked for me so far because I am fairly well-read and knowledgeable.  If I haven't heard of an organization, chances are pretty good that most others haven't, either.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 10:18:07 AM »
Even among gay-themed organizations, HRC, the supposedly biggest one, generates 66,000 hits as opposed to the Gay-Straight Alliance's 124,000. 

Funny, when I Googled them, I got a different result:

Results 1 - 10 of about 14,300,000 for Human Rights Campaign. (0.28 seconds)

Even if I quoted the name I got:

Results 1 - 10 of about 728,000 for "Human Rights Campaign". (0.24 seconds)

And the acronym:

Results 1 - 10 of about 5,690,000 for HRC. (0.19 seconds)

(Of course, the acronym is used by the right for Hillary...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 10:21:19 AM by Amianthus »
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 01:12:20 PM »
OK, I'll try it again:

Human Rights Campaign - 14,700,000

Huh.  That's funny.  This time I got the results in the upper left-hand corner of the page in large type.  The last time, there was nothing in the upper left corner, but at the bottom of the page, about three links, one of which was "Search Within Results."  It was only after double-clicking "Search within results" that I got the smaller number allegedly representing the total no. of hits in the first search.

Both times I used the Google search tool in the upper right-hand corner of the 3DH screen.

Sorry, I fucked up.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 02:22:29 PM »
Sorry, I fucked up.

Sounds like you were using a previous search and searching within those results - so you were only seeing the intersection of your previous search and the current one.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 01:40:28 AM »
I tend to take a kind of solipsistic approach to obscurity, but it's worked for me so far because I am fairly well-read and knowledgeable.  If I haven't heard of an organization, chances are pretty good that most others haven't, either.

See.  This is what happens.  I read a Lynne Truss book (this particular one being "Talk to the Hand") and find a word used several times that I do not actually know the meaning of but kind of get the meaning from context so I don't bother to look it up.   Then a week later some sumbitch uses it on a post and I say "OK, dammit, I need to go to dictionary.com and find out EXACTLY what it means.  

Another reason I debate: to get a better group of words that I know.  There oughta be a word that means "group of words that one knows." . . .  But anyway I get a bigger one of those when I hang around these intellectual-type places.

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 01:43:32 AM »
I tend to take a kind of solipsistic approach to obscurity, but it's worked for me so far because I am fairly well-read and knowledgeable.  If I haven't heard of an organization, chances are pretty good that most others haven't, either.

See.  This is what happens.  I read a Lynne Truss book (this particular one being "Talk to the Hand") and find a word used several times that I do not actually know the meaning of but kind of get the meaning from context so I don't bother to look it up.   Then a week later some sumbitch uses it on a post and I say "OK, dammit, I need to go to dictionary.com and find out EXACTLY what it means.  

Another reason I debate: to get a better group of words that I know.  There oughta be a word that means "group of words that one knows." . . .  But anyway I get a bigger one of those when I hang around these intellectual-type places.

Incidentally, the phrase "Kramer's remark" I used in an earlier post is a palindrome.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 05:30:33 AM »

Lexicon , Jargon, Lingo, pidgin

Ones personal lexicon?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 10:07:28 AM »
Lexicon , Jargon, Lingo, pidgin

Ones personal lexicon?

"Vocabulary"

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 10:36:30 AM »
<<Incidentally, the phrase "Kramer's remark" I used in an earlier post is a palindrome.>>

Good eye, Pooch.  Who knew?  

I agree with you about the benefits of discussion groups and dictionaries.  I remember someone in here started talking about memes, a term which I'd seen before but had been too stupid and/or lazy to bother looking up.  That was a real eye-opener.

About 20 years ago, I'd gotten into the habit of ending work each Thursday at about 4:00  PM, heading over to a nearby news-stand and coffee shop and picking up the week's new Village Voice, then settling down with a coffee double-double, apple pie and ice cream and the Voice for a good solid two-hour read.  Radical politics, books, Broadway and off-Broadway shows, music, toons, night life, the works.  This was before cell phones so my poor long-suffering wife had to find out the coffee shop's number in case she needed me to get my ass back home for an early dinner engagement, friends coming to visit etc., after I'd infuriated her more than once by my unwitting non-attendance.  

The Voice had its own zealously guarded lexicon of words which never seemed to escape from the Voice corral, words like heuristics, epistemological (which Bible readers must have recognized from the Epistle to the Romans,) onanistic, eleemosynary and a few other prize specimens, solipsism possibly being one of them.  (Solecism was, for sure.)  After awhile, I got to be pretty adept with the lingo (a good dictionary helped immeasurably) but the word "heuristics" proved to be particularly elusive.  I'd catch it, look it up and then forget it, over and over again.  I finally concluded that my memory receptors had some kind of allergy to heuristics, which I just gave up on.  I stopped reading the Voice quite a few years ago and I've never encountered heuristics since, so while it bothers me that there's this word and I don't know what it means, I have steadfastly refused to look it up again unless I see it in print, because I know what a waste of effort it would be.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 10:43:10 AM »
I agree with you about the benefits of discussion groups and dictionaries.  I remember someone in here started talking about memes, a term which I'd seen before but had been too stupid and/or lazy to bother looking up.  That was a real eye-opener.

Yet another example of my contributions here being plunged in obscurity; people don't even remember which tangents I introduced.

:-D

I stopped reading the Voice quite a few years ago and I've never encountered heuristics since, so while it bothers me that there's this word and I don't know what it means, I have steadfastly refused to look it up again unless I see it in print, because I know what a waste of effort it would be.

You're in the wrong industry. Rarely a week goes by that I don't use that word.