Author Topic: The Truth on Government Spin  (Read 6133 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Truth on Government Spin
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 06:50:59 PM »

H.R. 1207 is still in committee after almost a year.

The amendment itself has plenty of support. What have the other Republicans done in this regard? Nothing so far as I can tell. With a Republican in the White House and a Republican Congress during George W. Bush's first term, the Republicans did nothing like this at all. They did not push for transparency. They did not push for limited government. They did not do any of the things they now claim to want instead of the health care bill, except perhaps expanding Medicare. What have they done besides be the bickering partner to the Democrats?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 06:52:57 PM »
In its embarrassment, the city council voted against the deal at the last minute, but only after council members publicly chastised Nelson, accused me of libel, and vowed to come back for more when the timing was right.

That particular motion was brought up again at a later meeting and passed.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 06:56:38 PM »
Saying a bill has plenty of support is not synonymous with claiming to have accomplished something, the bill is languishing in committee.

Resolutions are passed all the time proclaiming the virtues of truth justice and the American way and other than providing a feel good moment,  change nothing.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 07:43:05 PM »
Talk about spin

::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 11:16:41 PM »

Saying a bill has plenty of support is not synonymous with claiming to have accomplished something, the bill is languishing in committee.

Resolutions are passed all the time proclaiming the virtues of truth justice and the American way and other than providing a feel good moment,  change nothing.

Heh. I repeat: What have the other Republicans done in this regard? Nothing so far as I can tell. Republican politicians are all the time proclaiming the virtues of limited government and individual liberty, yet, other than appeasing folks who smugly assure themselves they are on the side of "Doing Something", accomplish nothing in the way of actually promoting for those virtues. Which is not offering pragmatic solutions. It's pretending to be pragmatic while remaining part of the problem. Ron Paul is attempting to actually do something, not just posture as someone who is in a position to "Do Something". Once more I say: What have the other Republicans done in this regard? Come on. You keep harping on this whole being "in a position to do something". So show me what you've done.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 11:42:22 PM »
What have the other Republicans done in this regard?

Um Freed the slaves, gave women the vote, funded the creation of the internet.

But remember you are the one claiming that libertarians are contributing to the evolution of the country by enacting legislation or fostering movements that actually accomplish something.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »

What have the other Republicans done in this regard?

Um Freed the slaves, gave women the vote, funded the creation of the internet.

Not sure what any of that has to do with holding the Federal Reserve accountable or reigning in the government. You know, the whole "in this regard" part of the question.

But remember you are the one claiming that libertarians are contributing to the evolution of the country by enacting legislation or fostering movements that actually accomplish something.

Interesting to see you show how you feel about the Tea Party folks. I was not aware you were so pessimistic about them. Also interesting to see you didn't come up with even a single example of Republican politicians taking a stand and doing something to limit and/or hold the government accountable in any way.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 01:32:33 AM »
Since when do you get to narrow the debate to limiting the size of government when the broader topic was accomplishments by the various political factions in this country.

The Republicans freed the slaves within 12 years of running their first candidate. They captured the White House within 4 years of running their first candidate.

The Libertarians have been fielding candidates since 1972 and the best showing they have had was capturing 1.1 percent of the vote in 1980.

I made no comment about the Tea Party movement, but as far as i can tell they are not sitting in the bleachers passing judgment, they are marching in the streets.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 05:24:08 AM »
If the Republican party were to change well enough to deserve the libertarian voter , who would we loose?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 01:44:49 PM »

Since when do you get to narrow the debate to limiting the size of government when the broader topic was accomplishments by the various political factions in this country.

Since I asked the question. I didn't ask a question about the broader topic of whatever your excuse is this time for not answering the question.

Person A: "What do you think about this car?"
Person B: "Henry Ford was the first person to put an assembly line to use in producing cars."
Person A: "What does that have to do with this car?"
Person B: "Since when do you get to narrow the conversation to this single car?"

The Republicans freed the slaves within 12 years of running their first candidate. They captured the White House within 4 years of running their first candidate.

The Libertarians have been fielding candidates since 1972 and the best showing they have had was capturing 1.1 percent of the vote in 1980.

And you'll note, if you were paying attention, I have not been defending the Libertarian Party.

I made no comment about the Tea Party movement,

I'm sure you didn't. You meant the libertarians were fostering some other movement that no one has mentioned yet.

but as far as i can tell they are not sitting in the bleachers passing judgment, they are marching in the streets.

Are you just that narrow-minded, or was the coughcough bit too hard for you to read? I mean, if all you're going to do bitch and lie about libertarians, you're just wasting everyone's time.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »
Some officials and bloggers actually called for Nelson to be prosecuted. Local union mouthpieces and fellow council members portrayed the whistleblower as a common criminal, even though he was merely acting in the spirit of the open meetings law and showing the kind of fiscal responsibility you would hope to see in public officials.

Going after whistle-blowers seems to be a tradition in government circles. After all, the UBS whistle-blower just reported for prison...

"Birkenfeld, a former banker with USB AG, pleaded guilty in 2008 to helping California billionaire Igor Olenicoff and hundreds of others evade taxes. Before his sentencing, Birkenfeld cooperated with the Justice Department, a U.S. Senate investigation and the Internal Revenue Service probe of the Zurich-based financial giant, detailing how UBS helped Olenicoff and other rich Americans evade taxes.

"Birkenfeld, a former UBS banker, sought a postponement of the term imposed Aug. 21 by, and a new hearing to seek a shorter sentence. He promised to continue cooperating with prosecutors. Zloch denied the request in a one-page order.

" 'It's a setback for whistleblowers everywhere,' said Birkenfeld attorney Stephen Kohn, executive director of the National Whistleblowers Center in Washington. 'It just undermines the public interest that thousands of major tax cheats all escape any prosecution, and the one person who turned it in gets the longest sentence.' "
Whistleblower in World's Largest Tax Fraud Case Sent to Jail While Real Crooks Avoid Prison
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:59:47 PM by Amianthus »
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 02:00:25 PM »
Quote from: BT on January 12, 2010, 11:55:02 AM

Really?  what have you done?

Oh let's see... Audit the Federal Reserve amendment... 9.12 project...

Is that it? One is languishing in committee and the other is a Glenn Beck Movement.

And you'll note, if you were paying attention, I have not been defending the Libertarian Party.

Understandably

Which means if you aren't defending the action arm of the philosophy then you are defending the philosophy itself, which is pretty much the role of the chattering class.

Quote from: BT on Today at 12:32:33 AM

I made no comment about the Tea Party movement,

I'm sure you didn't. You meant the libertarians were fostering some other movement that no one has mentioned yet.

No you were the one who brought up the Tea Parties, are they affiliated with the Libertarian Party or are you just trying to claim credit for them?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 02:07:29 PM »

Which means if you aren't defending the action arm of the philosophy then you are defending the philosophy itself, which is pretty much the role of the chattering class.

So you're just going to lie. Okay, we're done.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 02:14:13 PM »
So you're just going to lie.

Where is the lie?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 04:31:16 PM »
So you're just going to lie.

Where is the lie?

The repeated nonsense about doing nothing. You know, "if you aren't defending the action arm of the philosophy" (as if somehow the Libertarian Party are the only libertarians trying to accomplish anything) and basically the whole "libertarians aren't doing anything" bit. You know better, and yet you repeat this excrement over and over. Talking with you about it is clearly nothing but a waste of time.

This arm of the discussion got started because someone, not me, said, "This government is out of control. Not just democrats, all of it. It has a will of it's own and it no longer answers to the people. Something needs to be done to stop this. How far are we ... the people ... willing to let this go?" Apparently the conservative Republicans are in a position to do something but are choosing to do nothing. Yeah, that makes you so much better. I hope you find a soft spot for when you fall off your high horse.