Author Topic: Comic Relief  (Read 4397 times)

terra

Re: Comic Relief
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 10:04:36 PM »
So i'm watching comic relief and listening to the jokes and i'm saying to myself , must be nice to be so confident in your fundraising skills that you can afford to alienate half your audience.

You know, I remember watching some Katrina relief concert last year not too long after the hurricane. My wife particularly likes to watch these things, primarily because of the music, but she's also a sucker for a sob story and Katrina was certainly a tragedy of epic proportions for the United States.

So some people played some songs and then Jack Black, whoc is some actor/comedian and some other guy talk about donating money. Mr Black then tells the viewers that they are lucky to have a home and a television and they need to give up their luxurious lives and throw some money to the Katrina fund. He's basically yelling at the television screen.

Now, that really pissed me off. I don't even know this son of a bitch from Adam, but where does he get off pretending to know that we all have wads of extra cash lying around to give away. And honestly, where does a talentless hack of an actor, who probably lives a rather plush existence get off giving anyone else a lecture on how great any of our lives are going? Where was his largesse? How does he know that some of the people he was berating weren't doing any better than some of the Katrina victims?

Sorry to rant, this just reminded me of that and it really pissed me off. My advice is that these guys aren't much more in touch with reality than the Bush's or the Kennedy's. Perhaps less so.

Yep maybe so...but they care enough to take their time to do something for the Katrina survivors.  They could be sitting by their pools or watching football. But instead they are caring about others. So they holler and you don't like them..I wouldn't care if it was jerry Falwell, if they wil help those folks..I would say thank you.

And I like Ted Kennedy...

terra

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 12:15:27 AM »
Yep maybe so...but they care enough to take their time to do something for the Katrina survivors.

They may care enough to donate their time to Katrina relief, but i doubt you would be compelled to contribute if all they did was bash Pagans. And that was the point of my post.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 12:19:48 AM »
Yep maybe so...but they care enough to take their time to do something for the Katrina survivors.

They may care enough to donate their time to Katrina relief, but i doubt you would be compelled to contribute if all they did was bash Pagans. And that was the point of my post.

What if the pagan bashing was really really funny?

Mucho

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 01:54:20 AM »

Not even Pagans woulda fucked it up as much as Bush did. He is way funnier.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 03:01:40 AM »
Bush wasn't on the show. Fact is, the show should have been about katrina relief and the good donations could do.

I watched the simulcast on TBS where the censors must have gotten blisters hitting the mute button every other minute, there were entire segments bleeped. And again i have to wonder whether the show was about the victims or the comics, because the message certainly wasn't delivered to the widest audience possible.