Author Topic: Congressman Rangel  (Read 5214 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Congressman Rangel
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006, 12:14:48 AM »
I have always been in favor of universal male conscription to military service, along the Swiss model: if you can be trusted to be a citizen you should have the privilege of being armed with a modern military weapon -- and it is a privilege that cannot be refused. Refuse the privilege and get a US passport valid for all countries but the US.

Won't happen, of course.

The value of universal military service is not so much the militia, though, as the social conditioning. Basic training with randomly assigned companies not based on social class or race or anything else is excellent socialization for young people.

I wouldn't want the conscription to be quite so universal as that , I would be glad to excuse people who had a moral objection to all violence.

How do you consider Heinlins idea of making the service volentary but reserveing the right to vote strictly for vets?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2006, 12:23:00 AM »
How do you consider Heinlins idea of making the service volentary but reserveing the right to vote strictly for vets?

Actually, it was reserved for those who performed civil service. It just so happened that the most common form of civil service in that universe was military service. They had an effective civil service exam for screening non-military service workers.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2006, 12:25:08 AM »

Actually, it was reserved for those who performed civil service. It just so happened that the most common form of civil service in that universe was military service. They had an effective civil service exam for screening non-military service workers.

All right , this defines the question more narrowly , but doesn't change its direction.

What do you think of Heinlins idea of reserveing the vote to those willing to bear the cost of government decisions?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2006, 12:37:49 AM »
What do you think of Heinlins idea of reserveing the vote to those willing to bear the cost of government decisions?

I'm all for it. If you're not willing to sacrifice for the government and society, you shouldn't have a say in how it's run.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2006, 02:04:39 AM »

I'm all for it. If you're not willing to sacrifice for the government and society, you shouldn't have a say in how it's run.

Should this be approached in stages?

Perhaps just giveing a double vote to Civil Servants and those who bear the cost of government dispurportionately ?

I think we are moving in the direction of giveing extra voteing power to the wealthy de facto  if not in law because we accept that the campaigns must be expensive.

The_Professor

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2006, 10:33:33 AM »
"I'm all for it. If you're not willing to sacrifice for the government and society, you shouldn't have a say in how it's run."

I concur. But, I pre-suppose that many on the Left might disagree with this position.

The_Professor

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2006, 10:35:15 AM »
"Should this be approached in stages?

Perhaps just giveing a double vote to Civil Servants and those who bear the cost of government dispurportionately ?

I think we are moving in the direction of giveing extra voteing power to the wealthy de facto  if not in law because we accept that the campaigns must be expensive."

Hmmm, intriguing point. I will analyze this and post later. I am somehwat limiting my exposure here as I am simply too busy right now, ok? How is N, Plane? Better, I hope.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2006, 01:20:58 PM »
N is better I am not.

I am feeling  pretty rough.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2006, 01:37:22 PM »
Plane, I hope you and yours will be better soon.   I hope you didn't get the flu.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2006, 09:38:25 PM »
Plane, I hope you and yours will be better soon.   I hope you didn't get the flu.

We had broncitus and N also had an intestinal infection.

N left the Hospital today so we can again cough in concert.

I expect to return to work soon and she should also, a few days later.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2006, 04:02:26 AM »
I wish there were something I could do to make you two feel better.
Oh, here's something: Get N a bottle of Burt's Bees Baby Bee Apricot Baby Oil.
It is very soothing for skin, it has a faint apricot scent that goes away quickly, and is just the sort of thing she might like to pamper herself after being so sick.   
For you, get Badger Balm.  Great for healing  cracked fingers.  You can find it on the web; they have stuff that's kind of like Vick's too but this is healing balm. It works.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2006, 04:54:52 AM »
I wish there were something I could do to make you two feel better.
Oh, here's something: Get N a bottle of Burt's Bees Baby Bee Apricot Baby Oil.
It is very soothing for skin, it has a faint apricot scent that goes away quickly, and is just the sort of thing she might like to pamper herself after being so sick.   
For you, get Badger Balm.  Great for healing  cracked fingers.  You can find it on the web; they have stuff that's kind of like Vick's too but this is healing balm. It works.

Perhaps I should N loves scents and my job is tough on my hands in winter.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2006, 02:25:24 PM »
They had this Badger product at Advance Auto in my town; see if yours has it.  The Burts product was at a Walgreens I think.