Author Topic: This Guy Made This Up -- That's my gut feeling  (Read 3892 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: This Guy Made This Up -- That's my gut feeling
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 06:37:43 PM »
It could well be a software problem. And if it is, they won't admit anything until they are sure of what it is. But this is not a conspiracy of Detroit automakers to wreck Toyota. It could be a conspiracy by Toyota to cover up a problem.

We all know that a car computer is unlikely to cost as much as a laptop to produce, but to replace one costs several times that amount.

I do not understand why anyone would pay $3000 for a built-in navigation device for their car when you can buy a decent one you just plug into the cigarette lighter for under $100 that will do nearly everything the factory unit can do and can be replaced with a new more powerful one for the same money every two years or so. We know that if the one built into the car fails, it will cost several hundred to dig into the dashboard, and thousands more to repair it.

I really doubt that the guy that reported the runaway Toyota will not be charged with anything. I can't imagine what his motive would be, anyway. I have not heard that he is even suing anyone.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 06:52:22 PM »
I can't imagine what his motive would be, anyway. I have not heard that he is even suing anyone.

He tells USA TODAY that, while he hopes to get a replacement car out of this ordeal, he isn't planning to sue Toyota or otherwise profit. "You had to be there. People can second-guess all they want, but you can't live a life until you've lived it."

Bankruptcy court records show that in 2008, Toyota was listed as a $19,000 creditor, the value of the leased Prius, which has to be returned.

His total debt was $700,000, and he has had a Mercedes, a boat and a motor home repossessed. The bank also took back a 2007 Dodge Ram, leaving him and his wife with just the Prius.

While Sikes is current on his lease payments, he has to give the car back in a few months, which would leave him carless.
Original Article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 07:47:22 PM »
Toyota has already admitted that their cars have a problem. They have recalled a whole bunch of cars to fix it. They simply do not understand THIS problem.

A sane person would not buy a GM car because of this, he would buy a used car that never had this sort of problem, perhaps a Toyota, perhaps something else. The entire idea that this is a conspiracy to wreck Toyota is silly. No one is sending anyone to jail for reporting a problem with his car that was witnessed by the police. Perhaps they will deduce the problem, perhaps they won't.

As I said, the best thing to do about this is to wait for the bottom of the market, then buy Totota stock. Toyota makes good cars and will not be going out of business over this. But they are not angels and they are not perfect.

clearly you are clueless as to what Toyota is saying because what I heard them say was didn't match what you said.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 11:00:39 PM »
It could well be a software problem. And if it is, they won't admit anything until they are sure of what it is. But this is not a conspiracy of Detroit automakers to wreck Toyota. It could be a conspiracy by Toyota to cover up a problem.

We all know that a car computer is unlikely to cost as much as a laptop to produce, but to replace one costs several times that amount.

I do not understand why anyone would pay $3000 for a built-in navigation device for their car when you can buy a decent one you just plug into the cigarette lighter for under $100 that will do nearly everything the factory unit can do and can be replaced with a new more powerful one for the same money every two years or so. We know that if the one built into the car fails, it will cost several hundred to dig into the dashboard, and thousands more to repair it.

I really doubt that the guy that reported the runaway Toyota will not be charged with anything. I can't imagine what his motive would be, anyway. I have not heard that he is even suing anyone.

XO Wonders: "I do not understand why anyone would pay $3000 for a built-in navigation device for their car when you can buy a decent one you just plug into the cigarette lighter for under $100 that will do nearly everything the factory unit can do and can be replaced with a new more powerful one for the same money every two years or so".

because when I bought mine in 2005 it included the stability control feature so you had to buy the package that had the navigation too. In 2005 a navigation system cost several hundred dollars. Plus you can't steel a built-in unit but the portable units were/are in demand to steel. And frankly I wouldn't want to have to fix the damage caused by someone breaking into my car, which would run upwards of $1,000 to fix. I hope that takes the mystery out of it for you. If I'm not mistaken the navigation system also had the hands free blue-tooth for the cell phone feature included.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 10:39:02 AM »
Wait until it breaks, that's all I have to say.

That is how car companies sucker people into buying this sort of thing: they bundle something you want with something you think you need. And after the warranty runs out, they have you by the balls: buy a new one, or pay several thousand to fix the old one. And I am pretty sure you'll fall for that as well.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 11:38:57 AM »
Wait until it breaks, that's all I have to say.

That is how car companies sucker people into buying this sort of thing: they bundle something you want with something you think you need. And after the warranty runs out, they have you by the balls: buy a new one, or pay several thousand to fix the old one. And I am pretty sure you'll fall for that as well.

Like I said it came with the Stability Control. I really wanted the stability control. I like the navigation it has baled me out more than once. I'm not a cheap bastard like you and don't mind spending the extra money when I really want something. I work for my money, the government doesn't give it to me, so I'll buy what I want , when I want, and where I want, and how often I want. When the HC passes and they force me to pay for your health care, and and force me to take the government run HC then they will tell me when, where, how much and pretty much control me. They will say don't eat this, don't drink that and stop doing this. Your Liberal pals are CONTROL FREAKS. They are losers so they got elected because the only things they are good at is lying, stealing and cheating. They have never done a days work honestly. They despise business and people with values. They will have to pry my navigation system from my cold dead hands before they will take it away from me.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 02:46:37 PM »
YOu should be bronzed for that one. What a clown.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 06:45:14 PM »
it's funny how some people are so narcissistic
because they dont like OEM NAV....well then everyone that does must be a dumbass
my way or the highway
hey....if everyone was exactly the same it would be a pretty boring ass world
i have OEM NAV...dont use it....not really that crazy about it....
but to each his/her own....everybody has different preferences/needs
whatever floats your boat
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 06:51:31 PM »
"If I'm not mistaken the navigation system also had the
hands free blue-tooth for the cell phone feature included"

mine does
but the control freaks also kind of ruined that feature too

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 06:53:35 PM »
it's funny how some people are so narcissistic
because they dont like OEM NAV....well then everyone that does must be a dumbass
my way or the highway
hey....if everyone was exactly the same it would be a pretty boring ass world
i have OEM NAV...dont use it....not really that crazy about it....
but to each his/her own....everybody has different preferences/needs
whatever floats your boat

When I get my Verizon Droid maybe I'll use it more than the OEM. Frankly I don't use navigation all that much anyway.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 06:58:54 PM »
I like the OEM Nav screen for it's display features for my IPOD

Nice big fonts for displaying song titles, song folders, song selection, volume, ect...

Also it shows my AC/Heating settings in nice large fonts, as well as radio stations, radio settings

Plus it is imo a much cleaner look

Oh and the backup camera screen is nice on the OEM NAV screen....I really like that.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:14:52 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 07:21:30 PM »

XO is a suction cup kinda fellow.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2010, 07:25:37 PM »
Of course, XO forgets about those places that have restrictions on using add on devices in the car, just because Florida does not.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2010, 07:34:16 PM »
Of course, XO forgets about those places that have restrictions on using add on devices in the car, just because Florida does not.

my bet is the know-it-all isn't aware of those places you speak of -- XO talks out of his ass frequently. That's why he wipes his tongue so often.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 08:42:28 AM »
If there's a bug in the program, then surely Wozniak or his peeps could have found it by now, especially if the "problem" occurs under specific conditions that he claims he's been able to reproduce.

The technical service bulletin went to every U.S. Toyota dealership in late August 2002 after some customers reported their vehicles were speeding up unexpectedly.

"Some 2002 model year Camry vehicles may exhibit a surging during light throttle input at speeds between 38-42 mph," the bulletin states. "The Engine Control Module (ECM) calibration has been revised to correct this condition."

Toyota, the world's largest automaker, has blamed acceleration surges on floor mats it says can trap accelerator pedals and recalled more than 2.3 million vehicles in January for sticky accelerator pedals. It has said that independent testing failed to find problems with its electronic throttle controls.

But Clarence Ditlow, the head of the nonprofit Center for Auto Safety, said the 2002 document doesn't talk about mechanical issues.
"If you look at this document, it says electronics," Ditlow said. "It says the fix is reprogrammed in the computer. It doesn't say anything about floor mats."

The internal Toyota document was given to CNN by a group of attorneys now seeking a nationwide class-action lawsuit against the company. Ditlow said the document -- not previously made public -- indicates Toyota knew much earlier about an electronic connection to sudden acceleration problems. He also said the bulletin was apparently ignored or hidden from the public not only by Toyota, but also by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
More at Original Article.