Author Topic: NASA tapped to help Toyota acceleration investigation  (Read 2454 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NASA tapped to help Toyota acceleration investigation
« on: April 01, 2010, 04:46:42 PM »
By Layer 8
Created Mar 30 2010 - 1:26pm

If you want to solve a major engineering mystery why not bring in some of the world's best engineers?

The US Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration today said it was doing just by bringing in NASA engineers with expertise in areas such as computer controlled electronic systems, electromagnetic interference and software integrity to help tackle the issue of unintended vehicle acceleration in Toyotas.  The NHTSA review of the electronic throttle control systems in Toyotas is to be completed by late summer.

The DOT said engineers from the National Academy of Sciences - an independent body of scientific experts - will also look into the overarching subject of unintended acceleration and electronic vehicle controls across the entire automotive industry.

For NASA, the space agency's engineers will focus on technology such as electromagnetic compatibility as part of a shorter-term review of the systems used in Toyota vehicles to determine whether they contain any possible flaws that would warrant a defect investigation, the DOT stated.

NASA's expertise in electronics, hardware, software, hazard analysis and complex problem solving ensures this review will be comprehensive.  Currently there are nine experts from NASA assisting NHTSA, and additional personnel will join the team if needed, the DOT stated.

"We are determined to get to the bottom of unintended acceleration," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood in a statement.  "For the safety of the American driving public, we must do everything possible to understand what is happening. And that is why we are tapping the best minds around."

It's not unusual for NASA to get involved in such investigations.  Previous technology examinations involved electronic stability control and airbags.

In 2003, NASA and the NHTSA wanted to research new methods for testing vehicle rollover resistance after a widely reported factory recall of Firestone tires. NASA's High Capacity Centrifuge (HCC) was the answer. Vehicles were spun, using the HCC at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center on a test platform, until inertia and centrifugal force caused them to tip.  Results of that test have set standards for rollover technology development.

Meanwhile the scientists from the National Academy of Sciences will review industry and government efforts to identify possible sources of unintended acceleration, including electronic vehicle controls, human error, mechanical failure and interference with accelerator systems. 

The experts will look at software, computer hardware design, electromagnetic compatibility and electromagnetic interference.  The panel will make recommendations to NHTSA on how its rulemaking, research and defect investigation activities may help ensure the safety of electronic control systems in motor vehicles, the DOT stated.

Both studies - from the National Academy of Sciences and from NHTSA/NASA - will be reviewed by scientific experts. The total cost of the two studies is expected to come to approximately $3 million, including the cost of purchasing cars that have allegedly experienced unintended acceleration to be studied. 

Follow Michael Cooney on Twitter: nwwlayer8

Original Article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: NASA tapped to help Toyota acceleration investigation
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 06:29:07 PM »
Most people confuse today's NASA with the NASA that put us on the moon. Big mistake.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:03:22 PM »
Of course, the scientists and engineers at the Apollo Project have mostly died or retired now, but that does not mean that NASA is less effective. The Mars Lander was a success, and was more difficult to do than the Moon Landing. Of all the various government agencies, NASA would be, in my opinion, the most highly qualified to investigate a possible software problem in Toyotas.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 12:09:50 PM »
Of course, the scientists and engineers at the Apollo Project have mostly died or retired now, but that does not mean that NASA is less effective. The Mars Lander was a success, and was more difficult to do than the Moon Landing. Of all the various government agencies, NASA would be, in my opinion, the most highly qualified to investigate a possible software problem in Toyotas.

I'm certain there are better places to go to than NASA regarding correcting the so-called Toyota issue.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 12:12:02 PM »
I'm certain there are better places to go to than NASA regarding correcting the so-called Toyota issue.

Within the government, possibly only NIST has the required science and engineering skills, but they are a very small group. NASA was a good choice.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 12:19:41 PM »
========================================================================
Certain, but strangely, you do not reveal whose these might be. The National Traffic Safety Board is the only one that deals with cars, and they lack software and wireless telemetrics abilities, since these items have not been common on cars until recently.

You should tell us who, Kramer, as you slip-slide around.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »

Within the government, possibly only NIST has the required science and engineering skills, but they are a very small group. NASA was a good choice.

Unfortunately NASA is compromised due to a highly political atmosphere permeating withing the agency. Considering that our government owns competitors to Toyota I believe there is a conflict issue in using NASA. Let alone the way NASA handled Global Warming I have lost confidence in them.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 12:28:42 PM »
========================================================================
Certain, but strangely, you do not reveal whose these might be. The National Traffic Safety Board is the only one that deals with cars, and they lack software and wireless telemetrics abilities, since these items have not been common on cars until recently.

You should tell us who, Kramer, as you slip-slide around.

I believe the people that developed Pacman would do a great job.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 02:46:45 PM »
So, rather than use anyone in the government, we should choose software coders who devised a video game 30 years ago, because you found a graphic to go with it?

I am thinking more and more that Kramer's goal is not to say anything that could be considered wise, but to prove to everyone that a person of his age can act like a spoiled twelve-year old.

And at that, he is quite successful.

BSB

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 03:08:37 PM »
Perhaps a better brake pedal/gas pedal relationship/design needs to be found in order to keep this from happening. I think most of these incidents, as with Audi years ago, are driver error in the form of pushing down wholly or partiality on the wrong pedal.

BSB

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »
I think most of these incidents, as with Audi years ago, are driver error in the form of pushing down wholly or partiality on the wrong pedal.

BSB

Without a doubt driver error accounts for most if not all of the problems related to this phantom accelerator problem. This notion, by XO, that it's software related is utter silliness. Yeah let's get the agency that blew up two Space Shuttles to figure this thing out. NASA needs to figure itself out before it looks at driver error with Toyota's. By the way Toyota kicked ass last month with auto sales.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 04:02:33 PM »
I did not say that it was clearly related to software problems, but at least there are enough who think it might be that they are investigating it.

I have never said that Toyota makes bad cars, or that people should not buy a Toyota, simply that Toyota does not make PERFECT cars, and the problem is related to some design flaw in some models. You seem to think as always, that you are the genius here and that Toyota should not only be admired, but worshipped.

As I said, it would be a good idea to have purchased Toyota stock when it was down, a couple of mutual funds I own did exactly this, so I am happy about that.