Author Topic: Yemeni FM Denies That al-Awlaki is even a "terrorist," let alone a participant  (Read 1272 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
http://wire.antiwar.com/2010/04/10/yemen-wont-go-after-radical-us-born-cleric/
AP story

Not only has the Yemeni FM denied that al-Awlaki is a terrorist, the Yemeni government is now refusing to go after him and is now denying that he even participates in attacks on US. forces.

I figure this is a direct consequence of repeated lying by U.S. military and civil authorities, which has now emboldened even the impoverished government of Yemen to call out the U.S.A. as liars and manipulators, which of course everyone knows that they are anyway.  Their total credibility is in the toilet and will take another hit this coming week when WikiLeaks will release another whistle-blower's tape of an even bigger U.S. massacre of innocent civilians, in Farah (Afghanistan) this time involving almost 150 Afghan civilians and in which the Pentagon has already been caught lying once already.

Normally, this wouldn't matter since the U.S. military has no shame and let's face it, when you are getting away with torture and murder, what really is an accusation of mere lying on top of it all anyway?  However, I suspect these revelations are coming in at a particularly embarrassing time for The Land of the Free, just when it's trying to convince its own people (and others) of the "grave dangers" posed to the world by Iranian nukes.  This is hardly the time for their collective nose to start growing.  Bummer.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Well that settles that.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<Well that settles that. >>

Not really, just puts another obstacle, admittedly not an insurmountable one, in the path of U.S. lies and aggression.  Anything that raises the cost of U.S. aggression can't be bad.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
Oh please.

The cost to kill Al-Alwaki is the same either way.

Wonder how much the bribe was to the Yemeni FM?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Apparently the Awlaki tribe is one of the biggest in Yemen.  They don't have to bribe the FM, the FM and his government have to bribe them.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
Ah so they have a reason to obfuscate. Protect the clan.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Not only has the Yemeni FM denied that al-Awlaki is a terrorist, the Yemeni government is now refusing to go after him and is now denying that he even participates in attacks on US. forces <------------> Apparently the Awlaki tribe is one of the biggest in Yemen.  They don't have to bribe the FM, the FM and his government have to bribe them.

I'm sure most everyone else has been able to connect the dots as well

Thanks Tee
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<Ah so they have a reason to obfuscate. Protect the clan.>>

Looks more to me like the clan protecting its own.  Whether or not that pleases the U.S.A.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
So has the US rescinded the hit orders in light of these changed circumstances? or do they even give a damn what the FM says?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
When did the U.S. ever respect the sovereignty of any Third World country?  Of course they will proceed with their plans to murder their own citizen without charges or trial and in total violation of his Fifth Amendment rights, but I guess it will become that much more difficult and expensive without the cooperation of the host country.  And of no import whatever, because after they have killed al-Awlaki, his place will be taken by someone else and the struggle will continue.

What is truly important is not whether al-Awlaki lives or dies, but the death-blow struck at the Fifth Amendment rights of all Americans.  Today is is only al-Awlaki who is victimized by the flouting of his rights, tomorrow, who knows?  Gradually, the basic Constitutional rights of Americans are being washed away in the "War on Terror," predictably enough.  The only mistake I ever made was to think that Obama could reverse the process.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
Why would Al awlaki citizenship protect him any more than bin ladens?

or is the contract on bin laden illegal also?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
What is truly important is not whether al-Awlaki lives or dies, but the death-blow struck at the Fifth Amendment rights of all Americans.

Oh good God.  Tee, you have no more support of the U.S. Constitution, any further than you could throw it.  This deflection effort to try and use the 5th amendment, is so transparent, its pathetic.   What is truely important is watching you defend communism, and those who lead the "struggle in liquidating enemies of the people".  It's no different than watching some ardent Hitler lover claim how everything the Nazis did was perfectly justified.  Just had a few million "bumps", along the way, is all

Good thing you don't have the same cahones as Xo in responding.  I'd have to see them figuratively crushed all the more
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:54:50 AM by sirs »

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<Why would Al awlaki citizenship protect him any more than bin ladens?>>

He's a member of the tribe, not a citizen of it.  It's a big tribe and its members are everywhere.  I'm no expert on internal Yemeni politics, but the way I'd figure it is it's a combination of honour and self-preservation. 

The Awlaki tribe probably understands that the CIA operates to some degree independently of the Yemeni government, and might be able to kill al-Awlaki on their own without any help or cooperation from the local government.  If that happens, what can ya do about it?  They don't have the illusion that the Yemeni government is strong enough to stop the U.S. government from slaughtering its own citizens  on Yemeni soil.  I mean, hell, if the U.S. Constitution doesn't stop the murdering bastards, how the hell can an impoverished Third World government like Yemen's stop them?

OTOH, they also know that the task of the  U.S. government can be made a lot easier WITH the cooperation of the local government.  In fact, local cooperation could make all the difference between Mission Impossible and Mission Accomplished.  If the Awlaki tribe has reason to believe that the local government is cooperating with American murder squads in an attempted hit on one of the Awlaki, then not only is the government's honour severely tarnished in the eyes of the Awlaki, one of the biggest tribes in the country, but probably some lives are now on the line.  I don't know how it works in Yemen but in other Arab societies, tribal influence can be pervasive and across-the-board, or it can be concentrated in specific areas, such as the military or commercial  Depending on where the Awlaki influence is strongest, there is where the biggest threat of payback lurks. 

People are free to ignore tribal affiliation and make their way without allegiance to any tribe, but many people see the advantages that their tribe can bring them and are prepared to shell out substantial lifetime financial contributions to their tribe and its leaders in return for the perceived protection and assistance the tribe can provide.  If an Awlaki is murdered by the U.S. with active Yemeni government assistance to the murderers, and the murder goes unavenged, the value of the Awlaki "brand" goes down considerably, which in turn has severely negative effects on the power, influence and financial well-being of the tribe as a whole and its leaders in particular.  This is not likely to sit well with the leadership of the tribe, and particularly if they have a strong presence in the military or the police, some very bad things can happen to any government official who is perceived to have been useful to the American assassins.

It looks to me like the Yemeni government has assessed the risks of assisting the U.S. in the murder of a U.S. citizen and decided that at least in this case, the potential rewards will not justify the potential risks.

<<or is the contract on bin laden illegal also?>>

As you can see, despite the huge sums placed on bin Laden's head, nobody seems anxious to step forward and try to collect.  In OBL's case, I think his "tribe" is the entire Arab world, minus a handful of collaborationist puppet "leaders" maintained in power over their own people by U.S. dollars.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
In OBL's case, I think his "tribe" is the entire Arab world, minus a handful of collaborationist puppet "leaders" maintained in power over their own people by U.S. dollars.

So, the next time there is a terrorist attack by al Queda, the US is justified in attacking ANY Arab culture, anywhere in the world. OK, we'll see how that works out...
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)