Author Topic: New Tribe Rising?  (Read 4418 times)

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Tribe Rising?
« on: April 21, 2010, 02:42:11 PM »
New Tribe Rising?

By Patrick J. Buchanan

?Is white the new black??

So asks Kelefa Sanneh in the subtitle of ?Beyond the Pale,? his New Yorker review of several books on white America, wherein he concludes we may be witnessing ?the slow birth of a people.?

Sanneh is onto something. For after a year of battering as ?un-American,? ?evil-doers? and racists, and praise from talk-show hosts and Sarah Palin as ?the real Americans,? Tea Party America seems to be taking on a new and separate identity.

Ethnonationalism ? the recognition of an embryonic people that they are different from their neighbors, and the concomitant drive to live apart ? is, as Arthur Schlesinger Jr. wrote 20 years ago, a more powerful force than any ideology, be it communism, fascism or democracy.

Ethnonationalism is the pre-eminent force of the age we have entered, the creator and destroyer of empires and nations. Even as Schlesinger was writing his ?Disuniting of America,? Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union were disintegrating into 22 new nations, along the lines of ethnicity. In Dagestan, Ingushetia, Chechnya, Ossetia and Abkhazia, the process proceeds apace.

It has happened before ? and here.

In the American colonies, the evil institution of slavery, followed by a century of segregation, created out of the children of captured Africans who had little in common other than color a new people, the African-Americans, who went out and voted 24-to-one for Barack Obama.

In 1754, the 13 colonies consisted of South Carolinians, New Yorkers, Pennsylvanians and Virginians, all loyal subjects of the king.

But after the contemptuous treatment of colonial soldiers in the French and Indian War, the Stamp Act, the Townshend duties, the Boston Massacre, the Tea Party, the Quartering Act and the Quebec Act, by 1775 a new people had been born: the Americans.

In 1770, New York colonists had erected a statue of George III in Bowling Green in grateful tribute for his repeal of the Townshend taxes. In July 1776, they pulled it down and melted it for lead bullets after Washington read his soldiers the Declaration of Independence portraying George III as another Ivan the Terrible.

?There is no such thing as a Palestinian people,? said Golda Meir. When she said it, she may have been right. But as generations have grown up under the occupation and two intifadas and a Gaza War, the Palestinians are a people today.

Adversity and abuse increase the awareness of separate identity and accelerate the secession of peoples from each other.

Obama in the campaign of 2008 recognized that ?out there? in Middle America existed another country, far from the one he grew up in, far from the privileged Ivy League community to which he belonged.

?You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and ? the jobs have been gone now for 25 years. ? So it?s not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren?t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.?

Palin and Tea Partiers now repeat Obama?s disparaging line about their clinging to Bibles and guns ? with defiant pride.

As others have done in our multicultural and multiethnic nation, this people is beginning to assert its identity, unapologetically.

Sioux gather at Little Bighorn to celebrate the massacre of Custer?s command. Hawaiian natives demand a new ethnically based government ? and receive Obama?s blessing. Hispanics march under Mexican flags in Los Angeles to demand citizenship for illegal aliens.

Now Southerners are proudly commemorating ancestors who fought and fell in the Lost Cause and demanding recognition of Confederate History Month. And state governors are acceding.

In 2004, when Howard Dean reached out to ?guys with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks,? Shelby Steele wrote that this was ?absolutely verboten. Racial identity is simply forbidden to whites in America? because of their history and white guilt.

This, Sanneh suggests, is changing. The imputation of racism to Tea Partiers has not intimidated or cowed them.

When Obama named Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court, there was no hesitation in blistering her for showing contempt for the rights of Frank Ricci and the white firefighters of New Haven, cheated of the promotions they had won in competitive exams.

When black Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates was arrested by Cambridge cop James Crowley, most Americans, despite Obama and media suggestions of racial profiling, sided with Crowley.

Why are the Tea Partiers not intimidated the way Republicans often are? Why is the charge of racism not working?

First, they do not feel the guilt of country-club Republicans.

Second, they know it to be untrue. While Tea Partiers are anti-Obama, they are also anti-Pelosi, anti-Martha Coakley and anti-Charlie Christ. The coming conflict is not so much racial as it is cultural, political and tribal.

Black America seems united. White America is the house divided, for it is in the womb of white America that this new people is gestating and fighting to be born.

http://buchanan.org/blog/new-tribe-rising-3930
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: New Tribe Rising?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 02:49:03 PM »
Whoah, real split in the conservative ranks here. 

Even the arch-conservative Pat Buchanan is recognizing the Tea Party for what it is - - white racism resurgent.  Those "country-club Conservatives" better head for the hills.

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 03:03:03 PM »
Whoah, real split in the conservative ranks here. 

Even the arch-conservative Pat Buchanan is recognizing the Tea Party for what it is - - white racism resurgent.  Those "country-club Conservatives" better head for the hills.

You want to explain why white people are "racist" when they organize in their interests, but the NAACP, La Raza, and AIPAC aren't?
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 03:16:22 PM »
<<You want to explain why white people are "racist" when they organize in their interests, but the NAACP, La Raza, and AIPAC aren't?>>

Yeah, thanks for lobbing me an easy one right over the plate, NAACP and La Raza are against racial discrimination and oppression, while Tea Parties are in favour of both. 

How AIPAC got in there with La Raza and NAACP is a mystery to me - - AIPAC is the flagship of the ZioNazi movement for the racial and religious oppression of Palestinian Arabs and the organized theft of their land and property by Jews.  It's more racist than the fucking Tea Parties.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 05:57:47 PM »
I pray Tee has some good medication for this rationalized swill
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 08:42:29 PM »
<<You want to explain why white people are "racist" when they organize in their interests, but the NAACP, La Raza, and AIPAC aren't?>>

Yeah, thanks for lobbing me an easy one right over the plate, NAACP and La Raza are against racial discrimination and oppression, while Tea Parties are in favour of both. 

That is easy to challenge.

What indicates that the Tea Party is in any way at all in favor of any racist policy at all?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 08:47:06 PM »
<<What indicates that the Tea Party is in any way at all in favor of any racist policy at all?>>

Racist signs.  Yelling "Nigger!" and spitting at Rep. John Lewis and others.  Absence of black faces in early videos.  Of course, now they are more media-conscious and keep racist signs off-camera, put the handful of blacks who attend in front of the cameras, and avoid spitting and use of the N-word.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 10:13:29 PM »

There is no evidence whatsoever that the tea party folks favor discrimination and oppression. None whatsoever. They are for fiscal conservatism, a concept that has zip to do with race.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 10:41:18 PM »
<<What indicates that the Tea Party is in any way at all in favor of any racist policy at all?>>

Racist signs.  Yelling "Nigger!" and spitting at Rep. John Lewis and others.  Absence of black faces in early videos.  Of course, now they are more media-conscious and keep racist signs off-camera, put the handful of blacks who attend in front of the cameras, and avoid spitting and use of the N-word.

Very thin reeds.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 10:42:26 PM »
<<They are for fiscal conservatism, a concept that has zip to do with race. >>

Their fiscal conservatism has an oddly selective basis.  It never seems to focus on military budgets, on wars of choice, on wars that are estimated to come in at $50 billion and wind up at $3 trill and counting.  Wars which seem to target brown-skinned people, if you get my drift.

No, their fiscal conservatism seems to be focused on welfare programs, saving the auto industry and the jobs of the autoworkers (many of them being visible minorities and all of them working class by definition) - - in general, any programs which seem to benefit a lot of darker-skinned folks with funny accents.

Also, for "fiscal conservatives," they sure like to brandish their weapons and threaten gun violence to their opponents a lot, and they sure attract a lot of people to their rallies who seem to like waving racist signs around, don't they?  Folks who love to scream nigger and spit at black people, who seem to show up at tea parties, not at any other political rallies to the left of the KKK.  Now why do you think that is?

Fiscal conservatives, my ass.  They are racist bigots, and if that's not painfully obvious to you, it is obvious to the rest of the country.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 10:45:37 PM »
<<Very thin reeds.>>

Every sign, every indication, is a "very thin reed."  If they dress up in sheets and burn crosses, it would be a "thin reed."  If they wear storm-trooper uniforms with glow-in-the-dark swastikas, it would be a "thin reed." 

I'm not even gonna ask you, what does it take, because the REAL answer is, "Nothing."  Nothing would convince you that these guys are racist, so what is the point?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 10:52:31 PM »
Their fiscal conservatism has an oddly selective basis. 

Is it? Deficit spending is deficit spending. They are against it.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 11:04:39 PM »
<<Is it? Deficit spending is deficit spending. They are against it. >>

Yeah?  They're anti-war?  They're pissed off that Bush blew $3 trill in a fucked-up war that was only supposed to cost $50 billion?  They want a war tax so the war can be financed directly out of taxpayer contributions without running a deficit?  Geeze, I did not know that.

I don't think they give a flying fuck about "deficit spending."  If the deficit finances programs they like (war, torture, murder) they don't give a shit.  If the deficit finances stuff they oppose (help for the poor and the sick, education, etc.) then they're mad as hell and they ain't gonna take it no more.

Hypocritical racist rednecks.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
Yeah?  They're anti-war?  They're pissed off that Bush blew $3 trill in a fucked-up war that was only supposed to cost $50 billion?  They want a war tax so the war can be financed directly out of taxpayer contributions without running a deficit?  Geeze, I did not know that.

I don't think they give a flying fuck about "deficit spending."  If the deficit finances programs they like (war, torture, murder) they don't give a shit.  If the deficit finances stuff they oppose (help for the poor and the sick, education, etc.) then they're mad as hell and they ain't gonna take it no more.

Hypocritical racist rednecks.

I think you don't understand these people and the unknown frightens you.

Pussy.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 11:31:27 PM »
LOL.  They are not that hard to understand.  Racists are racists.  Fascists are fascists.  Dummies are dummies.

I was laughing at "pussy."  I might be scared of some things, but not the Tea Parties.  I'm too old to give a shit.  Who ought to be scared are the poor and the black and the sick.  The Mexicans and the illegal immigrants.    I feel sorry for them all if the Tea Parties win the day.