Author Topic: New Tribe Rising?  (Read 4429 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: New Tribe Rising?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 11:44:54 AM »
And the village schools are no longer stellar now that they have to fit the one size fits all mode and the subsequent funding restrictions?

Do you still pay higher taxes because that is where the money is?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 12:10:29 PM »
K-12 education sucks in Florida because the state ranks somewhere between 48th and 50th in per capita expenditures for education. We have no state income tax, and sales tax does not cover food or drugs, so the state is always out of money. That means that we have a lot of teachers with "provisional" credentials to teach subjects they know little about (math and sciences in particular).

The state legislature is run by utter and total Republican morons who are uneducated themselves, and who do dumb crap like lower the number of semester hours required to get a BA or BS degree in the state universities, which, of course, drags down the private colleges to the same minimum.

Their recent failed attempt to make all teachers' salaries depend on unspecified tests, with raises going only to those who scored above some undefined mark, would have allowed these fools to reward, say, the best 10% or even 5% of the "best" teachers, and to leave everyone else with no raises at all. Only Charlie Crist prevented these stooges from passing this ghastly perversion. Imagine a state where everyone is as triumphantly ignorant as Kramer. Gaah!
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 12:17:37 PM »
K12 education sucks in CA, because we have one of the highest per-capita expenditures for education, as well as some of the highest paid teachers in the country

Want to spin that one, Xo?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 01:47:41 PM »
<<And the village schools are no longer stellar now that they have to fit the one size fits all mode and the subsequent funding restrictions?>>

The schools are now run by the Toronto Board of Ed, which obviously can't afford to pay the same sum per student as the village council did and can't allocate any more money to the former village schools than it does to any other Toronto school.  There were also some demographic changes that could account for the school's relatively lacklustre performance today.  Also a series of Provincial "reforms" of the educational system based on a lot of New Age thinking that may have contributed to the overall decline of all the schools in the Province - - or not.  It's a hotly debated topic and I don't know enough about the subject to jump into the debate.

It's still a good school, it just does not stand out any more.

As a matter of fact, the Superintendent of Schools of the old village system was hired by North York BOE to head up its own schools after the village schools were absorbed by Toronto, and our move to North York was directly inspired by our desire to have our kids attend the best of the North York borough public schools.

<<Do you still pay higher taxes because that is where the money is?>>

Same as you.  All residential properties in the municipality are assessed in value, and a mill rate is struck.  People in better homes pay higher taxes due to a higher assessment, but everyone pays at the same mill rate.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2010, 02:21:16 PM »
There were also some demographic changes that could account for the school's relatively lacklustre performance today. 

Please explain.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2010, 04:20:48 PM »
<<Please explain.>>

A lot of what used to be the village is now inhabited by refugees whose first language is not English, and they are struggling just to learn English.  The parents are less well educated and can't help the kids as much.  The refugees come from conflict zones and some were traumatized by the violence.  There is a much higher proportion of apartment dwellers, and these kids won't enjoy ideal study conditions at home.  There are just a lot of extraneous problems that did not exist in the village before, so some of that is going to show up in the year-end results.  But to tell you the truth, most of those problems could be overcome with more money.  More counselling, better housing, lower teacher-student ratios, etc.  The real secret of our school's former success was the money spent on hiring, building amenities, field trips, etc.  Hiring the best and the brightest.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2010, 05:59:11 PM »
K12 education sucks in CA, because we have one of the highest per-capita expenditures for education, as well as some of the highest paid teachers in the country
===========================================================
They did a piss poor job of educating you. I have no knowledge of California schools.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2010, 06:42:18 PM »
===========================================================
I have no knowledge of California schools.

I have, as you have of Florida schools.  And you somehow couldn't deal with the conundrum of how CA spends far more money on education, than nearly any other state, and its education sucks, apparently as bad as Florida, as you claim.

Can't be the money now, can it
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »
Whenever I think of California public education, I always think of that amazing Beach Boys song, (not that ALL of their songs aren't amazing)  Be True to Your School, and its irony-rich line "Whatsa matter buddy, ain't you heard of my school?  It's number one in the State," which, consciously or not, is hilarious.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2010, 08:15:36 PM »
Whenever I think of California public education, I always think of that amazing Beach Boys song, (not that ALL of their songs aren't amazing)  Be True to Your School, and its irony-rich line "Whatsa matter buddy, ain't you heard of my school?  It's number one in the State," which, consciously or not, is hilarious.

Yeah the song is about sports, and school spirit, identity and local pride.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 09:42:59 PM »
<<Very thin reeds.>>

Every sign, every indication, is a "very thin reed."  If they dress up in sheets and burn crosses, it would be a "thin reed." ......

No that would just about do it, because things like that couldn't be accidental.

Do you think that UPS has to be Neo fascist because they are wearing brown shirts?

I think you could.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2010, 12:36:28 AM »
<<Do you think that UPS has to be Neo fascist because they are wearing brown shirts?>>

Nope.  That was your idea, not mine.

<<I think you could.>>

Well, sorry to disappoint you, plane, but I could not.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2010, 05:18:38 PM »
<<Do you think that UPS has to be Neo fascist because they are wearing brown shirts?>>

Nope.  That was your idea, not mine.

<<I think you could.>>

Well, sorry to disappoint you, plane, but I could not.

But you can accept unproven evidence as established if it is the right flavor.

I don't mind , I have towatch out elese I do the same thing.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2010, 11:30:33 PM »
And you somehow couldn't deal with the conundrum of how CA spends far more money on education, than nearly any other state, and its education sucks, apparently as bad as Florida, as you claim.
====================================================
First off, I do not think that California spends more than "nearly any other state" The last survey I saw put California at 23rd or 24th, I recall.

There are good schools and bad schools in FL, just as anywhere else. The good ones are in wealthy areas, the bad ones are in poor areas.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2010, 11:39:02 PM »
<<But you can accept unproven evidence as established if it is the right flavor.>>

Well, that's just how  YOU might characterize my conclusions.  I don't see it that way myself, though.