Author Topic: An Immigration Double Negative?  (Read 5555 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
An Immigration Double Negative?
« on: April 27, 2010, 08:11:30 PM »
MSNBC News Flash: Arizona Law 'Makes it a Crime to be Illegal Immigrant'
By: Kyle Drennen
April 26, 2010

During the Monday 12PM ET hour of live coverage on MSNBC, anchor Contessa Brewer described the "firestorm" over a newly passed immigration law in Arizona and fretted: "does this lead to a situation where neighbors are turning in neighbors or families turning against families?" Later in the segment, a headline on screen read: "Law Makes it a Crime to be Illegal Immigrant."

Brewer discussed the issue with Democratic Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez and wondered: "Is this an effective way to deal with the problem?" In response, Sanchez declared: "to stop people and say, 'I think you look like an illegal immigrant' and then drag them off to jail is not the way to deal with this issue."

Brewer followed up by quoting current Homeland Security Secretary and former Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano: "she would veto these kinds of bills because she said ? she thought it was important for police to be doing actual police work, that they are not immigration enforcement officers." As Brewer made that argument, the headline "Law Makes it a Crime to be Illegal Immigrant" flashed on screen.

Brewer later wondered about the political fallout: "It's forcing the President to address immigration policy. It's forcing Republicans and Democrats to wrangle with it. But what really is driving voters and emotion right now are jobs and the economy. Is this a bad issue politically at this time?" Sanchez replied: "I think this is a great issue politically at this time because, for the future in particular, the Hispanic community, which is a big immigrant community and which, of course, has some of the people who are with the least documents, correct documents, it is going to be the political force for the future in this country."

Here is a full transcript of the segment & article

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:17:42 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: An Immigration Double Negative?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 08:21:03 PM »
actually arizona needs that law in order to keep those tents filled.
thier running out of people for tent city.

and alot of revenue is generated by it
remember they got celebrity deputies.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »
Are they?  If memory serves me right, anyone suspected of being in their state illegally, under the new law, is simply processed then handed over to ICE.

no?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:39:57 PM »
http://www.necn.com/04/25/10/Sheriff-Joe-Arpaio-supports-Arizonas-new/landing.html?blockID=222870&feedID=4215

arpaio seems to think otherwise

but honestly my only question is how will this address the violent crimes that started this?
true the feds are asleep at the wheel,but asking traffic violators or jaywalker for items that americans don`t normally carry but criminals buy forged just don`t seem that effective.

and more likely the majority of illegals captured will not be the violents or dangerous ones.

if anything it may risk thier economy depending how much thier business is dependent on manuel labor

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 08:47:02 PM »
I guess I give the Police officers in question a little more grasp of the events in front of them.  they're not going to be pulling people over because their minority.  They're going to be pulling them over for some infraction, as ususal.  If during the "investigative" phase of the infraction, the officer deems the possibility that the fella is here illegally, he can then do (what's supposed to be the job of the Fed) by asking for ID to verify his legal standing. 

Simple at that.  Just a reminder, folks here illegally, have already broken the law.  the illegal part kind of gives that away

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 09:08:06 PM »
my question is how long does it take to prove citizenship?

does the officer trust whatever document provided ? if not than how long can the radio/computer check take?

if it takes over an hour than it`s still a problem,it`s kinda doubtful these american officers will factor this in.

if you think about it,legal immigrants would be less desirable to hire if they can`t show up to work on time.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 10:14:15 PM »
Considering a high majority of criminals and crime are illegal alien related, arresting them would be a way to preempt a lot of crime. So Miss Chavez I think it's a great new law and I hope it causes you Mexicans to fret over it and even go home. Get out of my country, you wore out your welcome a long long time ago.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 10:24:44 PM »
Considering a high majority of criminals and crime are illegal alien related,

How do you know that this is a true statement?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 10:36:41 PM »
Considering a high majority of criminals and crime are illegal alien related,

How do you know that this is a true statement?

I KNOW WELL Because I live in San Diego County, SoCal, and am very familiar with these sorts of facts.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 11:01:47 PM »
I KNOW WELL Because I live in San Diego County, SoCal, and am very familiar with these sorts of facts.

Feel free to post the relevant studies.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 11:06:51 PM »

Feel free to post the relevant studies.

feel free to look them up yourself.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 11:12:06 PM »

I'll just continue to assume your own assumption is wrong, and therefore all your conclusions that are derived from your incorrect assumption are incorrect as well.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 11:17:14 PM »
Yeah, i thought you were wrong...

Some polls show that as many as three-fourths of Americans believe that immigrants cause crime to rise. Crime by illegal immigrants in particular has stirred such unease that even liberal communities such as San Francisco and the Washington suburb of Montgomery County, Md., known for providing sanctuary to the undocumented, are now moving to turn in some felony suspects to immigration authorities.

But in all the furor, there is this hitch: The perception of high crime rates by illegal immigrants is pure myth. And it is misdirecting public policy about what we really should do to stop illegal immigration. A century of studies has consistently shown that recent immigrants are in fact less likely to commit a crime or be in jail than native Americans.
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/mar/01/co-the-illegal-immigrant-crime-myth/

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 11:28:03 PM »

I'll just continue to assume your own assumption is wrong, and therefore all your conclusions that are derived from your incorrect assumption are incorrect as well.

I didn't assume I stated facts -- you assumed, and you know what that means. The facts could fill up a few phone books so f you want to learn then I suggest you spend about 1 hour Googling and you shall be enlightened. Try key word searches. Understand though that the last several years or so the press has been really good at leaving key details out. You know silly little facts like the hit & run driver was an illegal alien. The rapist or child molester was an illegal. The killer just happened to be an illegal alien. Gee it sure was a no-brainer why AZ did what they did. If Obama can't grasp why he has no business being president. Hell even John McCain broke the code and understood.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 11:41:02 PM »
I didn't assume I stated facts

Obviously not. You stated an incorrect assumption that you THOUGHT was a fact.