Author Topic: From the "Drill, Baby, Drill" Morons, a Deafening Silence  (Read 21086 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: From the "Drill, Baby, Drill" Morons, a Deafening Silence
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2010, 10:02:30 PM »
Any idea how many follow her twitter?

According to Twitter, as of a few minutes ago, 140,053.

Hmmmmm....

That is a tenth of what I would have guessed.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2010, 10:07:26 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill,_baby,_drill

Well, you're right about Palin first using "Drill, baby, drill" to correct Biden, or rather Biden's parody of McCain, during a VP debate in the 2008 campaign, but the slogan has an interesting and rather bizarre back-story as an unused slogan owned by the American Dental Association and shelved after a disastrous trial run in Oregon some years earlier.  

Wikipedia traced the format back to black activists' "Burn, baby, burn!" cry during the race riots of the 1960s.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 02:01:02 PM »
Not sure if "drill baby drill" was ever her cry. Do you have a direct quote of her saying that, other than correcting Biden during the VP debates?

==============================
It was what she hollered at the GOP Convention, and at a number of other venues. Google it and you will find it.

Or here it is:
Palin’s Policy: Drill, Baby, Drill

By Jeffrey Ball WSJ, Sept 8, 2008.

Among many applause lines from the speakers at the Republican convention last night, one stood out: Drill, baby, drill.

Michael Steele, the former lieutenant governor of Maryland, launched the line, prompting howls of approval from the crowd. Rudolph Guiliani, the former New York mayor, repeated it, if almost as an afterthought. And Sarah Palin, the Republican vice-presidential nominee, echoed the sentiment, to even louder cheers of the crowd.

Gov. Palin’s position on energy is worth parsing, because it shows what a political minefield the subject is likely to become this election season.

On the one hand, the Alaska governor cited as one of her main political bona fides having stood up to oil interests who, she said, had been largely running her state when she assumed office. Her tough anti-Big-Oil talk is sure to appeal to Main Street at a time when gasoline is still selling in some parts of the country for near $4 a gallon.

On the other hand, Gov. Palin argued forcefully, as a product herself of the U.S. oil patch, that the country should let the drill bits fly. “We Americans need to produce more of our own oil and gas,” she said. “And take it from a gal who knows the North Slope of Alaska: we’ve got lots of both.

She continued: “Our opponents say, again and again, that drilling will not solve all of America’s energy problems — as if we all didn’t know that already. But the fact that drilling won’t solve every problem is no excuse to do nothing at all.”

Looking on approvingly was Gov. Palin’s husband, Todd, himself an oil-industry employee.

Those two ideas needn’t be contradictory. Americans largely blame the oil industry for today’s high prices at the pump, and it stands to reason that one way to bring prices down is to increase the supply of domestic oil. The fact that most studies attribute today’s oil prices to broader market dynamics, and say increasing U.S. drilling won’t meaningfully affect pump prices for years, could prove just an asterisk in this political argument.

What may be more interesting to watch is how Big Oil fares this fall. Is it the evil force whose lobbyists need to be kept from squeezing the system? Or is it the band of honest American workers eager for the chance to help pull the country out of its energy crunch?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2010, 02:04:29 PM »
Interesting that the article you present to prove that she said "drill, baby, drill" does not quote her as saying that line.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2010, 03:24:45 PM »
ouch
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2010, 05:16:31 PM »
However, she DID say it, and in that speech, hence the use of the slogan in the title of the article
. I heard her say it. She repeated it at least two other times, both on the PBS news.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 05:19:20 PM »
I think the nit-picker needs to come back to the theme of this thread, basically that whoever said it first, it was unabashedly adopted by Palin as part of her campaign and it doesn't seem all that likely that we're ever going to hear that moronic chant from her ever again.  She'll back-pedal from it as far and as fast as she can.  She'll still call for the same reckless exploitation, only this time wrapped in the language of caution and prudence and respect for the environment.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 05:21:47 PM »
Palin is fond of dumb slogans. The latest is "Don't retreat, reload".

But the problem is that when you look stupid, it is rarely due to a lack of ammo.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 05:25:46 PM »
Dumb slogans are probably the only thing she can remember.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 05:36:28 PM »
I am pretty sure someone writes this stuff for her. But it is also true that a dumb slogan is also easier for a follower to remember and chant at every opportunity. Kramer LOVES dumb slogans. "I like Ike" was a favorite of mine, when I was nine. Not as sophisticated as "Catch the Wave" or "For those who think young", but superior to the ditty sung by Bucky Beaver, who peddled Ipana toothpaste.

I recall hearing the same public service announcement for several years:

Get in the know, Joe,
Don't be a schmoe, Joe,
Religion and race,
Just don't fit in this place.

I think "schmoe" was the first Yiddish word I ever learned. One heard no Yiddish in Kansas City, MO, at least not where we lived.

I liked Ike also because we visited his boyhood home in Abeline, KS. We might have visited Stevenson's home had there been mountains on the other side of Illinois.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »
However, she DID say it, and in that speech, hence the use of the slogan in the title of the article
. I heard her say it.

Courtesy of the HufPo, here is the text of Palin's GOP Convention Speech. Also included at the link is a video of her giving the speech. She never says "drill, baby, drill".

I think you were imagining things when you heard her say it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 05:39:51 PM by Amianthus »
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2010, 05:38:21 PM »
But it is also true that a dumb slogan is also easier for a follower to remember and chant at every opportunity.

What does it mean when an opponent attributes a dumb slogan that was never said by the person? That the opponent is dumb?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2010, 05:40:41 PM »
But she DID say it, she said it several times on several occasions. The audience chanted it. They ate it up!

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2010, 05:46:54 PM »
But she DID say it, she said it several times on several occasions. The audience chanted it. They ate it up!

According to you, she said it in her speech at the GOP Convention and you even claim to have heard her say it in her speech. However, according to the HufPo, she didn't say it and they have the video to prove it. Is the HufPo now a member of the "vast right wing conspiracy"?