Author Topic: Kudos to Demorcatic Senator Chuck Schumer!  (Read 435 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Kudos to Demorcatic Senator Chuck Schumer!
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:59:26 PM »

Put Taliban on Terror List, Says Schumer

May 11, 2010

By Michael McAuliff

The Pakistani Taliban group suspected of training and aiming alleged blundering Times Square bomber
Faisal Shahzad should be added to the State Department's terrorist organization list, Sen. Chuck Schumer
declared today.

The group, the Tahrik-i-Taliban, known in shorthand as the TTP, claimed credit for the botched
car-bombing, and Attorney General Eric Holder said over the weekend they helped Faisal.

Yet, they are not on the terrorist list, which does include groups such as Hamas and the Real Irish
Republican Army.

"We know they run active training camps where people, including Faisal Shahzad, learn how to carry out
terrorist attacks," said Schumer of the TTP. They've publicly committed to killing Americans and,
in a video that surfaced last month, they pledged to make U.S. cities their "main target
".

"This designation by the State Department is a critical component to any effort to destabilize the
Pakistani Taliban, but right now we are not utilizing it," he said. "I was shocked to learn that
the group was omitted from the list, especially in the wake of the Times Square incident."

Adding the TTP to the 45 groups already on the list would allow the feds to freeze any financial
assets, prosecute supporters for providing material aid, and bar foreign nationals with links to
the TTP from the country.

Schumer and other lawmakers, including Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, wrote to Secretary of State Clinton
asking her to fix the issue.

But he insisted he was not criticizing her. He also said he was not picking on the Obama administration,
although recently he has complained about the President's treatment of Israel, terror trials in Manhattan,
insufficient funding for anti-terrorism programs in New York, and now the status of the foreign terrorist
organization list.

"We want to weigh in and make our voices heard," said Schumer, with North Carolina Sen. Kay Hagan.
"That is not commenting negatively on the administration's fight on terrorism."

"In general I've been very supportive of the administration's efforts, but throughout, when I disagree
with them, as I do on funding for New York, I will make my voice known," he said. "When I think we
should go further, and this is not a criticism of the administration, because as I said this is a debate
right now, I believe my job is to make my voice known."

And how soon would he like the administration to listen to him on the TTP?

"I'd like them to do it ASAP," he said

As for the reluctance, he did acknowledge that there might be political ramifications for Pakistani
leaders. "Look, there has been speculation, and I don't know if this is within the State Department,
that Pakistan itself might not like this to happen," he said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dc/2010/05/put-taliban-on-terror-list-say.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:30:46 AM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987