Author Topic: something a little different  (Read 3057 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
something a little different
« on: May 19, 2010, 12:01:54 AM »
http://roissy.wordpress.com/2010/05/18/the-most-beta-book-ever/
         I’m not an anti-chivalry crusader. If you want to be Gallant to the world’s Goofuses, go right ahead. You’ll be digging your own celibacy grave, but that’s one less competitor to me. If you live in some weird time warp American town where gallantry will help get you laid with hot babes, then be all the white knight you can be. Game is about doing what works.

But you’ll be working against the odds. Millions of men from all over the world have reached the conclusion through actual experience in the field that opening doors, throwing jackets over puddles, waiting to sit until she’s been seated first, and buying her drinks are tingle killers of the first order. Gallant doesn’t go home with the babe in 2010 America; Gallant watches perplexed as the babe thanks him for the free drink and then make outs with Gus the Inconsiderate Douchebag.

[...]

About the only reason I could recommend chivalry as a course of action for the typical man would be if we lived in a world where nearly all men stopped indulging women, and white knighters abandoned their lances for a more cynical, self-centered calculation. With chivalry long dead, a lone knight-errant could conceivably stride onto the scene and turn girls’ heads by doing something no other man is doing. In such a scenario, where women theoretically craved the chivalric attentions of men, buying a girl a free drink might actually be good game. But I really don’t see any evidence for this happening at all in our lifetimes. Chivalry is pretty much dead as it is, and girls are still responding positively to “I don’t buy girls drinks, but you can buy me one.”

Yep. I'm stirring the pot. But I should also say, I think the guy is probably right.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: something a little different
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 12:26:15 AM »
     This is supposed to be why Americans get dates so easily in Austrailia. American Men are better company and less demanding .

I think it can work both ways , you feel the lack of what you are not getting , immersed in attentiveness , the value of attentiveness seems small. I suppose that fish have little reguard for water before they are ever hauled out of it.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 11:02:36 AM »
your totally right plane
I got friends who used to be stationed in australia and good manners really really pays off.

but here in the states the lack of thank you is pretty much the core reason for the much deserved end of chivalry. demand is high but encouragement is very low.

when a man throws a jacket on the puddle he`s only ending up with a wet dirty jacket.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 11:19:44 AM »
Sir Walter Raleigh putting his jacket down so that Her Majesty would not have to step in that puddle was about more than puddles: remember that the streets were mostly filled with horse dung, which is considerably greater on the nastiness scale than any modern puddle. And clothing was vastly more expensive in those days, as it was all tailor-made and hand stitched. A nice suit of clothes was to the Elizabethans what a Lexus is today. And Sir Walter was likely to lose it all. If he had a real sense of the importance of his act, he would have attached a note to said garment that indicated what it was and included a footprint or two. Imagine what that would bring on Antiques Roadshow. Or what the British Museum would pay for it today. But still, it was a sharp move on his part, as Her Majesty was the only decent sense of income around, other than piracy, and he could not be a decent pirate without a ship.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 03:57:29 PM »
ahh horse dung
brings me back to my youth.
one of the reason I live in the city now.
once you sprain your back from deworming a horse you`ll appreciate citylife

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 04:05:51 PM »
I have never considered horse maintenance procedures.

What is involved?

From your description, I conjecture:
(1) Insert hand in horse's rectum,
(2) seize worm,
(3) pull like Hell.

I am thinking that a horse would not enjoy this, either, and might protest by kicking.

My grandfather was born in 1888, and once ran a livery stable, but by the time I was born, it had burned down and horses were mostly replaced by cars.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:05:08 AM by Xavier_Onassis »

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 06:06:34 PM »
no
that`s how you remove foriegn matter out of horse & cows intestines.
yes one clench and your arms a goner.

you get a long plactic tube fill it with water ,put a deworming pill in it
shove the tube down it`s nose ,makes sure it goes down the stomache ,not the lung then blow. this tends to make the horse buck and I was holding the horse when this happened and i wrenched my back.
horse are not just stronger than humans
they are alot stronger than humans.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 06:35:17 PM »
This isn't really the discussion I was hoping for. Oh well.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 07:11:48 PM »
ok

IF we`re the ruling councel of manners which should stay or modified

open doors for both parties

ladies 1st but only up to 3 if more tough luck I want a seat on the bus.

holding a chair is ok,but pushing ir forward to just too much

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 11:13:45 AM »
I only guessed that one would be dealing with the rear end of the horse because you mentioned horse poop, or as we once called it "road apples".

When I was 11, my father and I went up Pike's Peak on burros. It was a great experience. Along the way we met a lost member of some revival group, and passed though a place where there had been a fire in the 1890's, called the "Dismal Forest", because all the trees were dead, and of course gnarly and twisted like the scary trees in a Disney toon. My father and his father climbed it on foot when my father was 12 and his father was 42, but my father was 52 and decided on the burro trip. There were no burro trips when my father climbed Pike's Peak.

One remarkable thing was I did not realize how much a burro poops. The burros were in single file, and when not looking at scary trees, it was hard to miss the burro in front of me, which lifted its tail and pooped about every 30 minutes. Plop, plop.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 12:57:07 AM »
Sir Walter Raleigh putting his jacket down so that Her Majesty would not have to step in that puddle ................... But still, it was a sharp move on his part, as Her Majesty was the only decent sense of income around, other than piracy, and he could not be a decent pirate without a ship.

Yes !..........how much of Chivalry is brownoseing the boss?

I don't know if there is any record of Sir Walter Raleigh being nice to a commoner , but I don't know if this is a failing of sir Walter or of contemporanious historians , historians of the period were not recording much of what the common people did tho they cronicled every royal step.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 02:07:27 AM »
I would say that Raleigh's purported "chivalry" was a lot more like brown-nosing the boss than gallantry. He earned acclaim for it because it was apparently above and beyond the call of duty. I never thought of this as more than a case of sucking up to royalty.