Author Topic: Landslide Rand  (Read 2392 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Landslide Rand
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 08:49:48 PM »
Chinese seem to like names that sort of rhyme: Sun Sun, etc.
In English names that rhyme tend to sound dopey.

There are two ways of writing Chinese in the Roman alphabet One is called Pin Yin and was developed by missionaries, and then there is a newer system. Neither is very useful to English speakers, as the pronunciation is often unrecognizable by Chinese listeners when spoken.
Mao Tse T'ung is actually pronounced more like "Mousie Dung."

Chao En-Lai is more like Joe Own Lie
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 07:52:12 AM »
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 12:53:40 PM »
Mao Tse T'ung -mouse dung

I would never of made that connection.
especially since mao is also means cat.

mandarin just sounds angry to me, cantonese sounds calming
but I`m cantonese so I might be bias

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
Mao Tse T'ung -mouse dung

I would never of made that connection.
especially since mao is also means cat.

mandarin just sounds angry to me, cantonese sounds calming
but I`m cantonese so I might be bias

I have heard that Mao himself never learned Mandarin, could that be true?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 01:47:38 PM »
One has to wonder what Paul was doing on the Maddow show in the first place.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 02:38:18 PM »
I agree that it was politically unwise for Rand to appear on Maddow's show. He had to know that his opposition to civil rights and disability rights based on the absolute right of a property holder would be the main item on her agenda.

But Rand Paul is an ideologue. He actually does believe that property rights trump everything, and believes that explaining this to the electorate is a totally logical argument. It is a bit like the Ayatollah's rejection of the Baha'i religion: Allah opposes Baha'i, they are British agents, they are the work of Satan and all moral people must oppose them: to not do so is an anathema to Allah.

Paul says that property rights are sacred, and may not be violated to dictate the rights of the minorities or the disabled. Even though a business owner COULD set up his business as a private membership club, he should not have to do so. He believes that logic dictates that discrimination is a bad business plan, and logic will dictate that any sane businessman will choose not to discriminate. Logic, therefore, trumps property rights, just as property rights trump civil rights.

In Rand Paul's world, all offices would have a ground floor so that no proprietor would have to build an expensive elevator for disabled employees. But of course, this is silly, because the business owner will simply not hire a disabled employee as a rule, since that avoids all such problems: they can rent the cheaper office on the second or third floor and not have to provide the elevator, either.

Good governance depends on compromise. The US government already suffers from excess polarization. The whole "Party of NO" strategy is based on a refusal to compromise. This is particularly true of the Senate, where one stubborn jackass can block everything. This Dr. Paul should stick to medicine.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 04:03:13 PM »
This Dr. Paul should stick to medicine.

This will be decided by the people of Kentucky, not by you, since you don't live there.

This issue is moot because Paul said he would have supported the civil rights act and voted for it. Move along.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 04:06:28 PM »
You won't decide this either, and I have as much right to my opinion than you do.

It shows that Paul is a stubborn ideologue. As I said, we do not need such creatures in the Senate.

You move along.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
Your opinion is useless because you don't live in Kentucky. You will not change the results there one teensy little bit.

You are the stubborn ideologue. Since when did you ever compromise with a Republican on anything? What a joke.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 04:22:54 PM »
   If I opened a restrant , just as sure as shooting, the first thing I would get would be a bus load of people dressed as Hitler and Eva Brawn. Next night the Jaun Peron fan club would have dinner there then Friday night the Ninjas and Pitsburgh Pirates would come in together.

Couldn't turn any of them away could I?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 05:29:49 PM »
You would have to have either a strange restaurant or a weird reputation to attract Eva Braun and Adolf Hitler impersonators. Juan Peron has been deceased for many years now, and he has few fans even in Argentina. Eva was always more popular than Juan, and she died 57 years ago. I can report that the guards at the Evita Peron Museum in Buenos Aires do not seem to be real fans. They were as pro-Evita only in the way that the museum guards at the Museum of natural History are pro-dinosaur.

I am not sure of what Ninjas or Pittsburgh Pirates like to eat, but I doubt that they share common tastes. I know of no restaurants that have ever been menaced by either, other than in a couple of Chinese Bruce Lee films.

In my opinion, you would not have a problem with any of these people.

The probability of all appearing as you say would be considerably less than "shooting", in my opinion.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 06:23:14 PM »
That was a very long winded comment, but you didn't answer the question.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 06:29:52 PM »
 These types are indeed scarce as you say , but they concentrate behind Chuck Norris as they follow him around. So if my restraunt became the favoriate of Chuck Norris I would have one really good customer and fifty to an hundred Chuck haters.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 06:32:13 PM »

I am not sure of what Ninjas or Pittsburgh Pirates like to eat, but I doubt that they share common tastes. I know of no restaurants that have ever been menaced by either, other than in a couple of Chinese Bruce Lee films.

Seafood!

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 09:39:44 AM »
I agree pirates and ninjas probably would both like seafood. Pittsburgh Pirates, however, are named for inland river pirates, such as those who used to hang out in the Pittsburgh area. There is no seafood in the Monongahela, so far as I know.

When I think about going to a restaurant, I do not consider the probability of seeing Chuck Norris at all, ever. I once saw a guy with a Chuck Norris jacket in a Waffle House, once. It was uneventful.