Author Topic: Rule of Law City  (Read 1823 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rule of Law City
« on: May 20, 2010, 02:30:57 PM »
You know, it's a sad commentary, at this stage of our country's existance, that its controversial, or even necessary for a city to pass a resolution, making it clear it abides by the Rule of Law.  Who wants to move into a city/location where the rule is the city will decide what laws they will abide by, and which ones they won't.  What a great selling point...move here, we accept and support criminal conduct
----------------------------------------------

Council declares Costa Mesa a 'Rule of Law City'
BY CINDY CARCAMO and ELLYN PAK
5/19/10

COSTA MESA ? The City Council made it clear Tuesday night that people who are in the country illegally are not welcome in their city.

Council members voted to pass a resolution declaring Costa Mesa a "Rule of Law City" at the behest of Mayor Allan Mansoor, who has long been known as a vocal opponent of illegal immigration.

"I have a lot of concerns with cities calling themselves sanctuary cities," Mansoor said before the vote. "It's important we state that we do not support illegal immigration."

Mansoor's proposal was met with comments from five public speakers, all of whom criticized it. Some said the declaration would paint the city in a bad light and polarize the community. Others called the resolution a political move by Mansoor in his bid for the state Assembly.

The council voted 4-0 in favor of the declaration. Council member Katrina Foley was absent.

Councilwoman Wendy Leece said she supported the resolution, stating that the city's relationship with Immigration and Customs Enforcement in the city jail has helped reduce crime.

"This is just validating and reinstating the federal immigration law that we already follow," she said.

Before the vote, Counciman Eric Bever suggested expanding the declaration.

"I would suggest we are a rule of law city regarding all laws," Bever said.

Mansoor explained he wanted to make a specific point about illegal immigration.

Mansoor propelled himself and his city into the front lines of the immigration debate about five years ago with his  stance against illegal immigration.

He made national headlines when he aligned himself with the Minuteman Project, targeted day laborers and pushed for a program that trained officers to perform some duties of federal immigration agents.

Ultimately, an ICE agent was placed at the city jail to check the immigration status of inmates who are suspected of being in the country illegally.

Mansoor said that Arizona's new anti-illegal immigration law didn't play a part in his proposal and that action in his city is long overdue.

Mansoor and the city are known for leading the way in the county's fight against illegal immigration.

However, earlier this year, he came under fire by anti-illegal immigration activists after it was discovered that the city isn't using a 6-year-old federal program called E-Verify, which is intended to weed out employees who are working in the country illegally.

At the time, he said other issues had taken priority and that he hadn't gotten around to proposing E-Verify as mandatory for the city and its contractors.

About two months later, he announced a press conference where he said he sought more stringent policies, from requiring Costa Mesa businesses to verify a workers' immigration status to allowing police officers to check legal status and valid identification of unlicensed drivers, especially when ICE agents are not present at the jail.

"I want to bring something forward in the next couple of months to start looking at some new policies," Mansoor said. "I've done a lot of research on my own. And I'm going to bring it forward in a manner that's doable."

A step in the right direction
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Rule of Law City
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 02:49:32 PM »
actually it`s kind of unfair. since it`s stating it`ll back stopping illegal immigration but no mention of other laws are to be enforced.

very few places can realisticly enforce all laws in a city.

so this means american made crimes like meth may get ignored.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 03:10:31 PM »
I think the point is they'll be enforcing all laws on the books, and not choosing to not enforce those it doesn't agree with, Kimba
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 03:32:21 PM »

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 03:36:07 PM »
but illegal immigration seems to be the focus topic on your post, but one mention of all laws .it would be more convincing if he were to put alittle more attention on the all laws factor. like non-immigrant crime will be prosecuted.I know he didn`t have to say it ,but it would cut down on the flak

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 03:56:36 PM »
but illegal immigration seems to be the focus topic on your post, but one mention of all laws .it would be more convincing if he were to put alittle more attention on the all laws factor. like non-immigrant crime will be prosecuted.I know he didn`t have to say it ,but it would cut down on the flak

Did you read the article?  Yes it is facilitated by the issue of illegal immigration, the point being...one more time...Costa Mesa passed a resolution making it official city policy they'll be enforcing all laws on the books.  No where in the resolution is there a provision that says its only going to be enforcing immigration law.  Kinda defeats the purpose of the point, that of other cities deciding what laws they will and will not enforce, doncha think?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 04:03:46 PM »
i did and it mention illegal immigration and no other types of crimes .if he were to mention other stuff like drug possesion or theft . I won`t even bother here

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 04:10:10 PM »
It's mentioned, but only as a topic of conversation, considering how major a topic it currently is, in this country.  The Resolution however makes it clear that its a pledge to enforce ALL laws, including immigration law, not just immigration law. 

You wanted him to provide a laundry list of every crime currently enforcible, in the City of Costa Mesa??  If he adds stuff like drug possession or theft, does that mean they won't enforce murder or rape?  If he mentions those, does that mean they won't enforce fraud or vandalism??

You see where I'm going with this?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 04:15:01 PM »
well not a list but afew sample will go along way.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 04:21:50 PM »
Why list any, when the intent was clear?  If you're trying to argue that no other mention of anything else translates to no intention of enforcing anything else, try speeding thru the city of Costa Mesa, next time you're in town.  In fact, the local 7/11 should have some extra cash hanging around the register.  Don't forget to grab a few 6packs off the shelf, on you way out     ;)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 04:40:45 PM »
i did and it mention illegal immigration and no other types of crimes .if he were to
mention other stuff like drug possesion or theft . I won`t even bother here

kimba what evidence do you have they are not enforcing other laws like theft?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 05:00:10 PM »
the intent is clear they`re enforciing illegal immigratiopn law. the intent is not so clear they`re enforcing all laws. and i said no list just sample
in fact what you gave is a good example by saying don`t bother speeding .

I`m not saying thier not ignoring other laws but that it should warrant mention. but that`s just me.
I work in a place that millions will be lost if the wording is off.
it`s the very reason secretaries still have a job. grammer check is nowhere enough.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 05:31:49 PM »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 05:34:04 PM »
the intent is clear they`re enforciing illegal immigratiopn law. the intent is not so clear they`re enforcing all laws.

Then I have no idea what resolution you're looking at.  The resolution I saw and heard, made it clear that Costa Mesa is officially a Rule of Law City, not a Rule of Immigration Law City

and i said no list just sample
in fact what you gave is a good example by saying don`t bother speeding .

But your implication is that without a listing of laws, even some "sample", then those not listed won't be enforced.  That just doesn't make any sense

If not Costa Mesa, then I'm thinking about relocating, already

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 06:07:27 PM »
lets just say I`m not a fan of the expression  "it goes without saying"

maybe I should mention I live in san francisco and have a large mistrust of how people will interpret laws or enforce it.