Author Topic: Black Like Me  (Read 2176 times)

domer

Black Like Me
« on: September 24, 2006, 09:22:59 PM »
Bill Cosby's scolding of a good swath of black America was right on the money. An accomplished human being like Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice, Cosby apparently can't fathom why so many blacks grasp like a lifeline self-defeating personal and social habits inherited from a legacy of abuse and deprivation. To the extent the beleagured actually can escape that grip, they must. Forming whole subcultures around some contrarian impulse to defy is not a formula for sound personhood, or success.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Black Like Me
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 11:31:34 PM »
   The Black middle class has always been growing , what does it amount to now as opposed to the past?

Is the improvement in economic standing smooth and steady or does it take jumps in phase with historical events?

The_Professor

Re: Black Like Me
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 11:40:36 PM »
It seems contrary to the potential economic growth of a successful black middle class to criticize black leaders such as Bill Cosby. We have a prominant black professor at work who calls Bill Cosby, Colin Powell, Clarence Thomas, Condi Rice, and even Tiger Wood "oreos who have sold out to the dominant whites."

There is much work to be done.