Author Topic: I'd vote for him  (Read 4533 times)

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I'd vote for him
« on: May 25, 2010, 12:50:40 AM »
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
Re: I'd vote for him
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 09:56:56 AM »
Love it!

[><]

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:42:19 PM »
So does the Ag commissioner need to ride the range and shoot varmints?

Let's get this straight: Alabama is losing family farms because of illegal immigrants? Aren't they the ones who pick the crops on the cheap and help these families stay in business?

Ah'm a Republican! See mah gun? Yewall better take me seriously, and stop a-stealin' mah signs! See mah Grand Ole Opry clothes? See how Ah kin ride a horse into the sunset jes' lak in the movies? Wanna hear mah Buford Pusser imitation?

I agree that the ad will probably score with the redneck vote, which seems to include a majority of White Alabamians.

In most countries, this ad would inspire outrage and laughter, not votes.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:47:56 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 12:46:58 PM »
Good thing it's only Americans that can vote for American candidates.  You know, like the ones in Virginia & Mass.  Those damn Bostonian rednecks
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »

Let's get this straight: Alabama is losing family farms because of illegal immigrants? Aren't they the ones who pick the crops on the cheap and help these families stay in business?

Ah'm a Republican! See mah gun? Yewall better take me seriously, and stop a-stealin' mah signs! See mah Grand Ole Opry clothes? See how Ah kin ride a horse into the sunset jes' lak in the movies? Wanna hear mah Buford Pusser imitation?

I agree that the ad will probably score with the redneck vote, which seems to include a majority of White Alabamians.

In most countries, this ad would inspire outrage and laughter, not votes.

I imagine he could ride you hard and put you away wet.Care to challenge him to an arm wrestle?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Why would I challenge him for anything?

I just think he comes across as a rather bombastic redneck. As I said, in a sane country, he'd either provoke two emotions: outrage and laughter. Pretty much the same as you, Kramer. All hat and no cattle. But he does apparently have a horse, or can borrow one. That's gonna come in handy, I'm sure.

Why would a Commissioner of Agriculture dress up like a Grand Ole Opry singer and carry a rifle? What is he going to shoot? Immigrants? Varmints? Democrats?

His main quarrel with his opponent is something foolish on Facebook, and someone messing with his campaign signs.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 06:44:54 PM »
Why would I challenge him for anything?

I just think he comes across as a rather bombastic redneck. As I said, in a sane country, he'd either provoke two emotions: outrage and laughter. Pretty much the same as you, Kramer. All hat and no cattle. But he does apparently have a horse, or can borrow one. That's gonna come in handy, I'm sure.

Why would a Commissioner of Agriculture dress up like a Grand Ole Opry singer and carry a rifle? What is he going to shoot? Immigrants? Varmints? Democrats?

His main quarrel with his opponent is something foolish on Facebook, and someone messing with his campaign signs.

Americana has dismayed, baffled and frustrated liberals like you for years.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 11:40:56 PM »

No , agribusiness wants cheap labor , small farmers are labor.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 01:45:34 AM »
================================================
It depends on the crop: if you are growing strawberries or lettuce, the whole crop comes in all at once, and not even a family as fecund as the Waltons can harvest and pack it all away alone.

Illegals have no other effect on small farmers: they surely do not replace them. Most small farmers are more like hobbyists these days: they have a job in town and grow stuff for themselves and neighbors and perhaps a little for the farmers' market. When they lose the farm, it is generally because the crop did not come in or someone lost a job in town and they can't pay the bank off.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 05:28:46 AM »
================================================
It depends on the crop: if you are growing strawberries or lettuce, the whole crop comes in all at once, and not even a family as fecund as the Waltons can harvest and pack it all away alone.

Illegals have no other effect on small farmers: they surely do not replace them. Most small farmers are more like hobbyists these days: they have a job in town and grow stuff for themselves and neighbors and perhaps a little for the farmers' market. When they lose the farm, it is generally because the crop did not come in or someone lost a job in town and they can't pay the bank off.

Most family farms are lost to confiscatory tax loads when the patriarch dies. The US government hates small farms with such passion that few are left.

When I was a boy the local highschools produced the labor for the peach harvest , teens are no longer tempted by such wages.

The labor needed does depend on the crop , farmers keep this in mind when they choose the planting.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 03:54:08 PM »
Most family farms are lost to confiscatory tax loads when the patriarch dies.

That is not true. The inheritance tax is zero. Plus, there are a zillion ways to pass the farm on to the next generation. What you say is a myth.
Farms are lost due to an inability to pay off loans, and occasionally steep medical bills.Also, there are a lot of farm kids who prefer to sell the damn thing and get a decent job in the city. People DO get tired of slopping hogs, feeding chickens, and plowing the back 40, you know. It is always a better pretext to say "The gummint took it" than "the ole man made bad decisions about planting, borrowing or managing the farm".

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
That is not true. The inheritance tax is zero. Plus, there are a zillion ways to pass the farm on to the next generation. What you say is a myth.

For something that doesn't exist, I wonder why the IRS has a form for it, including a tax table. Form 706, also publication 950.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 04:50:09 PM »
<<For something that doesn't exist, I wonder why the IRS has a form for it, including a tax table. Form 706, also publication 950.>>

You need to look at the Instructions for Form 706, which state:

<<The applicable exclusion amount for estates of decedents dying in calendar year 2009 is $3,500,000. >>

I think it's a pretty safe bet that America's small farmers don't have a hell of a lot to worry about in the inheritance tax.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 05:45:22 PM »
I think it's a pretty safe bet that America's small farmers don't have a hell of a lot to worry about in the inheritance tax.

Farm for sale: http://www.landandfarm.com/properties/parks_bottom_farm.asp

Especially if equipment is included, it's pretty easy for a farm to get over that value. A combine harvester runs close to half a million by itself.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 06:45:14 PM »
What I meant was that the rate on the inheritance tax is ZERO.

And as I said, there are many, many ways to avoid the inheritance tax: incorporating the farm, for example. But this year it is unnecessary.