Author Topic: Hell yeah we need to assassinate this American citizen!  (Read 5037 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hell yeah we need to assassinate this American citizen!
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2010, 12:00:57 AM »
<<not totally without prescident >>

You linked to some pretty lengthy material, plane.  As far as I could determine, as regards the assassination of U.S. citizens, there is no precedent for assassination of a U.S. citizen by his own government apart from the precedent set by Dubya and now followed by Obama.  No other Presidents went that route.

Is that a correct reading of the material you posted?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2010, 12:06:18 AM »
<<not totally without prescident >>

You linked to some pretty lengthy material, plane.  As far as I could determine, as regards the assassination of U.S. citizens, there is no precedent for assassination of a U.S. citizen by his own government apart from the precedent set by Dubya and now followed by Obama.  No other Presidents went that route.

Is that a correct reading of the material you posted?

I could look some more , I suspect something could be there.

But I suppose the point of dimishing returns is near , or past .

I admit being wrong on this point.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2010, 12:12:09 AM »
That's OK.  Nobody's right all the time.  Not even me.  But what about Honest Abe?  Is he still a "bloodthirsty scallawag?"

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2010, 12:18:57 AM »
That's OK.  Nobody's right all the time.  Not even me.  But what about Honest Abe?  Is he still a "bloodthirsty scallawag?"

Oh yes , and a lot of his favoriate generals were butchers too.

That is what it took , a bit less might not have been enough.

The Civil war had an alternative , the ameable divorce that Chechoslovachia performed. The very hard Civil war had an alternative too the endless- neither side has enough to really win- civil war that Yugoslavia is not quite through with yet.

So Lincon made hard choices , choices he knew were bloody , with a little less success he would be remembered as a monster.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2010, 01:06:55 PM »
The Civil war had an alternative , the ameable divorce that Chechoslovachia performed. The very hard Civil war had an alternative too the endless- neither side has enough to really win- civil war that Yugoslavia is not quite through with yet.

==========================================================
There were no slaves involved in either part of Czechoslovakia. Both nations joined the EU and property rights of Czechs and Slovaks were respected. The US Civil War was not an ethnic struggle like those of the European nations. Slovakia is rural, poorer and more Slavic. The Czech Republic is industrial, more prosperous and more like Germany culturally. The Czechs got tired of subsidizing the Slovaks. The Slovaks were outvoted by the Czechs and got tired of Czech domination. Both sides gained by the separation. Miami has a Czechoslovakian Club, and they have not seen any reason to divide, as nearly all of them are Czechs.

Brazil abolished slavery in the 1890's, and became a Republic at the same time. There was a gradual end: they first declared that no one would be born a slave after a specified date, and then abolished it for older people about 20 years afterward. At that time, the older slaves' value had declined due to their age. Something similar happened in Cuba and the rest of the Spanish Empire.

This was not done in the US, mostly because the Southern Plantation slaveholders were such dogmatic assholes. This is easy to see by reading the literature of the time. The general tone was that the Plantation owners were actually protectors of the childlike slaves, and that slavery was GOOD for the poor darkies. Frederick Douglass and other literate Blacks were generally seen as exceptional, because they had some White blood.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2010, 12:44:01 AM »
==========================================================
There were no slaves involved in either part of Czechoslovakia.

What is your point?

Lincon did not have to prevent the secession, he had a hard choice.

The Civil war was elective , that is my point.