Author Topic: This would have fried us all  (Read 1610 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
This would have fried us all
« on: June 07, 2010, 12:14:05 AM »
http://jupiter.samba.org/jupiter/20100603-203129-impact/index.html

A whack like that on Earth would be as much damage as fireing off our nuclear arsenal.

But to Jupiter it is no big deal.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: This would have fried us all
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:09:41 AM »
Jupiter is sanguine.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 05:12:07 AM »
Still sports the great red smile.

BSB

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:43:20 AM »
Look at that scope. I wonder how much that cost him?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:07:01 PM »
http://www.telescopes.com/

Can't see a brand name on it , could be a homebuilt.

BSB

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 11:59:37 PM »
This might be a good deal and a good place to start. http://www.telescopes.com/binoculars/astronomy-binoculars/zhumelltachyon25x100astronomicalbinocularwithtripodpackage.cfm

My problem is I live too close to Boston therefore there's too much light pollution to see anything really. It makes you wonder if kids who grow up in the inner city even know what's out there? 

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 12:08:56 AM »
My problem is I live too close to Boston therefore there's too much light pollution to see anything really. It makes you wonder if kids who grow up in the inner city even know what's out there? 

I heard that something like 75% of the US can no longer see the Milky Way in the night sky. I'm glad that I live someplace where it's still visible.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BSB

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 01:10:58 AM »
I wonder what that does to our perspective? It's another place in the natural world where we can't go, in our minds anyway, as easily as we used to. Observing or being aware of the natural environment is a great stress reliver, among other things, for me. The less there is to observe the harder it is to benefit from it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 03:58:16 AM »
http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Buy-a-Telescope-on-eBay_W0QQugidZ10000000000077636

It is still a wonderfull universe and we shouldn't meekly accept curtains being drawn between us and the photogenic parts.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 12:51:22 PM »
Observing or being aware of the natural environment is a great stress reliver, among other things, for me.

That's one of the reasons I love living where I do; I can watch bald eagles fishing, watch the deer and variety of other animals that live on my property, listen to wolves and bear, etc.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BSB

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 01:42:55 PM »
Where abouts in Minnesota do you live, Ami?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 03:17:16 PM »
Where abouts in Minnesota do you live, Ami?

East central part of the state. Where the endless corn fields and prairie start to give way to the low, rolling mountains of the north. I am not quite halfway between the Twin Cities and Duluth.

BSB

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
Sounds good to me. How close can you get to the Twin Cites and still have that much wildlife around?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »
Sounds good to me. How close can you get to the Twin Cites and still have that much wildlife around?

Pretty close. I'm about an hour outside, and where I live has minimum lot sizes of 3 acres. The Twin Cities, while being the largest cities by far in Minnesota, only have about 600,000 residents between them. I live in Bradford Township, which has fewer than 500 residents. Two digit and single digit "town population" signs are not uncommon.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:29:46 PM by Amianthus »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 04:31:09 PM »

Oh, and there are reports of a cougar prowling around some of the southeastern suburbs - less than 10 miles from the state capital of St. Paul. ;-)