Author Topic: 75% nationwide, that is sad  (Read 1472 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
Re: 75% nationwide, that is sad
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 04:33:40 AM »
"currently ineligible to join the military due to high dropout, juvenile crime and obesity rates"

too many Philly Cheese Steaks?

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:58:34 AM »
On the other hand, it seems that the Chinese are also getting fatter and fatter.

Soon world conflict could take the form of Chinese Buddha-shaped figures flinging boogers (or worse: drones) at one another.

I am not insulting the Buddha. I doubt that he was as fat as the Chinese images portray him, nor as skinny as the Thai images show him to be. I think the motive for the Chinese is to show that obesity equals contentment, while the Thais wish to show that his physique indicates dedication to intense meditation, which precludes super-sizing.

I find it interesting that the soldiers sitting behind the consoles in Nevada aiming drones at rebellious Pastoons are getting combat pay. I guess this is more to underline the importance of their job than to reflect the danger that the job places them in, which is minimal.

I wonder if anyone will ever get a purple heart for carpal tunnel syndrome: The "Carpal Heart"?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 11:22:10 AM »
might be wrong but it`s possible that buddha was mis-identified with ho-tai and thats why his image is this so different in china

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 11:25:11 AM »
I assume that Ho-Tai is the fat guy that one sees near the register in Chinese restaurants?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 11:28:03 AM »
yes

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 11:30:20 AM »

BSB

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 11:45:34 AM »
Many of the images of the Buddha were heavily influenced by trade along the silk road and other routes. Greecian art play a major role and is responsible for many of the images we see today.

The extreme images, like those portraying him as being almost skeletal, are representative of a phase the Buddha went through. The ascetic phase, which he abandoned.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:57:15 AM by BSB »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 01:55:28 PM »
I observe that most images of the Gautama Siddhartha Buddha depict him with curly hair and no beard. Ho Tai lacks the curly hair.

I thought it was rather interesting that on the PBS specialty, Buddha was quoted as saying that he expected to be forgotten. Moses, Jesus ad Mohammad did not seem to have said this, but then again neither did Mani, or most of these:

http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-christ-like-figures-who-pre-date-jesus/

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
could be wrong ,but maybe he wanted to be forgotten so his teaching would work better?

people will now think what would buddha do? instead of actually thinking about the words.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 03:15:12 PM »
The (fictional) movie "The Man from Earth" postulated an interesting link between Buddha and Christ. I highly recommend watching this movie - it's some of the best science fiction I've seen.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BSB

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 04:37:01 PM »
While the teaching of compassion for others is common to both the Buddha and Christ there is no historical evidence that Christ knew anything about the Buddha or his teachings. 

It should be noted that the Buddha never claimed to be a god, the son of a god, or anything along those lines.  Buddhism is purely experiential. The Buddha taught the "means" he used to reach a state of enlightenment.  It's up to the individual practitioner to test the means the Buddha, and other Buddhists teachers, teach and see for themselves if they work in their case.

It's hard for most westerners to understand, but Buddhism really isn't a religion. The Buddha is most like a doctor, and his teachings are like a prescription that you take and see if it works for you.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 04:47:57 PM »
While the teaching of compassion for others is common to both the Buddha and Christ there is no historical evidence that Christ knew anything about the Buddha or his teachings.

You'll note that I said it was a fictional movie?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BSB

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 05:00:45 PM »
Oh I know Ami. Actually I was referring more to what was said in the Buddha section of the site XO put up. When you start the comparison with Christ, as in "10 Christ like figures", and then move to the Buddha you're comparing apples to oranges.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 05:20:33 PM »
The Jesus story is pretty much all confused with various other  other myths. There is the born-of-a-virgin bit, the arose-from-the-dead bit, the baptized-by-a-guy-who was beheaded bit and the born on Dec. 25th bit.

Buddha was the son of a king, who named his son "obstacle" and abandoned his family. Not too much similarity there. Perhaps the thing they had most in common was the giving of advice and the making of images en masse. Jesus was supposedly born in Bethelehem and was descended from the House of David, though the lineage is pretty vague. Royalty generally does not work in the carpentry trade.

Jesus was famous for suffering, but Buddha was the expert on how to AVOID excess suffering.

I agree that Buddhism is not a religion in the same sense Christianity is.