Author Topic: on reflection  (Read 11697 times)

BSB

Re: on reflection
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2010, 02:16:40 AM »
Everything is interdependent and emptiness have exactly the same meaning for Buddhism.

Try reading up on it then get back to me.

BSB

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 02:36:25 AM »
Look UP, you're being highly dishonest. You said you knew something about this but I find you don't even understand how the Buddhists are defining the words in play.

If want to learn what the Buddhists mean by emptiness let me know. It you're going to try and tell me what they mean, go talk to the wall my friend.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 03:02:05 AM »

You said you understood emptiness. It doesn't appear like you understand any of it.

That is not what I said. I am, however, challenging you to explain it. And so far, all I've gotten amounts to an argument that emptiness is what you say it is because it is. Again, 'everything is interdependent' and 'emptiness' do not have the same meaning. I do understand enough English to understand that much. To apply 'emptiness' to 'everything is interdependent' is meaningless unless you are attempting to say that there is some other meaning to everything being interdependent. But you're not saying that. You're saying: "That's what shunyata, emptiness, means UP. It means everything is inderdependent. Nothing exists on its own." So either there is something else you're not saying, or perhaps you don't understand it.

Everything is interdependent and emptiness have exactly the same meaning for Buddhism.

Try reading up on it then get back to me.

Try explaining it beyond saying they mean the same thing. Clearly they do not mean the same thing to me. I asked: "How does 'everything exists because of other things that exist' equal 'emptiness'?" You said: "That's what shunyata, emptiness, means UP. It means everything is inderdependent." Your answer is the equivalent of saying, it means that because that is what it means. Your answer doesn't explain anything. It's a meaningless answer.

Look UP, you're being highly dishonest. You said you knew something about this but I find you don't even understand how the Buddhists are defining the words in play.

What I said was that I have encountered the idea before and that I understand the idea is supposed to lead to spiritual insight and peace. I did not say I was a student of Buddhism. If my understanding is lacking because the Buddhists are using different definitions, then perhaps the Buddhists should define the terms so that the rest of us have some idea what the Buddhists are talking about. Faulting me for a lack of understanding when you are, apparently, using different definitions without being willing to explain them, that is dishonest.

If want to learn what the Buddhists mean by emptiness let me know. It you're going to try and tell me what they mean, go talk to the wall my friend.

I'm not telling you what the Buddhists mean. I'm telling you why I don't agree with what I have been told about the notion. I asked for an explanation and got told, basically, "because it does." If you cannot muster up anything better than that, why should I believe you can explain anything at all about shunyata?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BSB

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 03:24:29 AM »
I told you a lot more then just "because it does". You're being less then honest right off the bat again. But I suspect you have no other goal. I don't believe for one second you want to learn a thing. I think you're very happy with your preconceptions.

As for my qualifications. I studied for two years under a Tibetan Lama who had the same teachers as the current Dalai Lama.

I would assume everyone in here has some expertise in something. I'm no jack of all trades by a long shot. There are only a few things that I really know something about in life. One of those is Buddhism.

Now, one more time. And I'm being very generous here. If you want to learn something let me know. If not don't waste my time.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 05:41:03 AM »
I like a good illusion, I like a logic problem , I like paradox.

Which of these would be what we are trying to do ?

If "do" is a good term for it.

BSB

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 06:46:00 AM »
I've gotten to know you so well in this thread, plane, it's fast becoming familiarity breeds contempt. I'm so sorry.

Why don't you try posting to me again in say, hmmmmmm, 2 years? Yeah, I'll talk to you in 2 years or so.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2010, 09:43:26 AM »

I told you a lot more then just "because it does".

Not in answer to my question.

You're being less then honest right off the bat again.

No, I'm being direct.

But I suspect you have no other goal. I don't believe for one second you want to learn a thing. I think you're very happy with your preconceptions.

Apparently you're content with yours. I ask questions because I want to learn. When I get responses that do not answer the questions I ask, that does nothing to facilitate learning. But perhaps you're not interested in teaching. I find questioning what I am taught helps me to understand and to cut through things that only confuse the matter for me. Like a poorly worded answer. If you don't like it, I don't care.

Now, one more time. And I'm being very generous here. If you want to learn something let me know. If not don't waste my time.

Okay fine. I'll be generous too. I can be a patient student if the teacher is able. Let's try this one more time. How does "everything exists because of other things that exist" equal "emptiness"? If you want to teach me something, answer the question in an elucidative manner. If you do not want to actually teach anything, then say so and stop wasting my time.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2010, 10:51:45 AM »
The proof? You can start with Darwin.

Why don't we start with quantum foam?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BSB

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2010, 11:13:08 AM »
Since you won't take my word for the Buddhist definition of emptiness go here:  http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/emptiness.html

Scroll down the page through the Heart Sutra until you reach, "What Is Emptiness"

BSB

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2010, 11:17:15 AM »
The above post is for UP.

Ami, Quantum Foam is above my pay grade. 

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2010, 07:33:38 PM »
I've gotten to know you so well in this thread, plane, it's fast becoming familiarity breeds contempt. I'm so sorry.

Why don't you try posting to me again in say, hmmmmmm, 2 years? Yeah, I'll talk to you in 2 years or so.

I am dismayed and regretfull.
You may have it exactly as you say if you wish , I feel as if I will have lost some great oppurtunity , unless you relent and forgive.

I am not an expert on Buddahism , I don't even want to be one , I merely have a lot of couriosity and think that Buddists are doing interesting stuff.

You have been generous to me , I am not offended with you , just sorry that I have caused you hurt and regretfull that I may have to live without your generousity for a while.

Glad also that the internet bamboo rod is yet to be invented.

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2010, 10:19:18 PM »

That's what shunyata, emptiness, means UP. It means everything is inderdependent. Nothing exists on its own.

'Everything is interdependent' and 'emptiness' do not have the same meaning. You might as well be telling me 'fishsticks' means 'everything is made of atoms'.

UP, I think you are approaching this from the wrong direction, and I think that is why this issue has become so contentious.

The statement I quoted above is false logic.  "Everything is interdependent" and "emptiness" DO have the same meaning to a Buddhist, and I can see from this thread where that might make perfectly good sense.  I'll give you my take on that in a moment, though it may well be 180 degrees off of what a Buddhist thinks.  Your analogy of "fishsticks" and "atoms" is not valid.  Nobody thinks atoms and fishsticks are the same thing, or analogous, or have similar traits.  If you can find an example of a culture of billions who use "fishsticks" to mean "atoms" you may offer that as an analogy - and then the analogy would be equally false because it would lend creedence to the "interdependence - emptiness" paradygm.

The reason I say you are coming at this from the wrong angle is this:  It appears that you are trying to make BSB reconcile his specific Buddhist definition of "emptiness" with your pre-defined general definition of the word.  There are countless examples of specific cultures redefining a term that has a more general use.  Jazz musicians redefined a description of relative temperature - "Cool" - and eventually that meaning became widespread.  It's so mundane it isn't even really "cool" itself anymore.  To a Mormon the word "exaltation" has a very specific meaning that goes beyond the general meaning the rest of the world gives it.  Many mainstream Christians use the word "witnessing" where a Mormon would more likely say "bearing a testimony" but that is a function of the different cultures.  So younger LDS folks talking to an Evangelical might not quite get what "witnessing" means or might wonder why exercise is so important to those Evangelicals because they keep talking about their "walk."  That a Buddhist might use the word "emptiness" to describe a specific condition that non-Buddhists are unfamiliar with is perfectly rational.   In order to understand that usage, though, the non-Buddhist must not attempt to constrain it to the definitions familiar to them.  It is, by its nature, a new concept and must be approached as such.  It may seem implicit that the word "emptiness" was chosen as the English language word best suited to describe this concept because some aspects of the existing definitions ring true to the concept, but how that relationship works requires getting beyond a rigid definition of the term.  You are debating the use of the term - not the concept itself.  It might be less confusing to you if BSB had used "shunyata" exclusively and then defined it as interdependence. 

Delving further into that, I believe it is incumbent on you to do what BSB has already done - define the term.  It is a valid and time-honored method of debate to define one's terms so that each side can get past verbal ambiguity.  So I would ask you to give your definition of the word "emptiness."  I would prefer you not take the easy way out by citing a Webster's.  I would ask you to tell me what YOU mean when you choose that word in conversation.  I will tell you that I perceive many meanings in the word.  I think of literal, physical emptiness - like an empty cup.  That implies a lack of something - like lacking something to drink.  I extend that, metaphorically to anything lacking, such as empty conversation which lacks purpose, empty rhetoric which lacks substance or empty heads which lack knowledge.  Of course, none of those latter definitions are literal.  Those empty conversations are full of words and an empty head still has the full complement of gray matter and assorted biological icky stuff.  But the lack of literal meaning does not make the word invalid in those contexts.  Then we extend further into statements like "I feel an emptiness inside."  That could mean I am hungry, or someone just ripped my vitals out, but most people would recognize that as a description of an emotional condition.

Those are some of my meanings for the word - and they all have one thing in common.  They have a negative connotation.  Each of them describe loss or lack of something.   If you have similar meanings, perhaps you project them into the meaning you are seeking from shunyata.  It may be that the "emptiness" BSB is describing has a positive meaning, such as "lacking strife" or "lacking conflict" or even "lacking significance" which might seem negative in our competitive world but might also be looked on as gaining peace.

So since I am always to long and boring to read, I will open another post to say what I get on initial read from BSB.  For now I will ask you to define what you mean by emptiness.

Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 01:32:40 AM »

"Everything is interdependent" and "emptiness" DO have the same meaning to a Buddhist

That has not been in question. I never said it wasn't the same meaning to a Buddhist. The question was, and still is, how does "everything exists because of other things that exist" equal "emptiness"? Saying they mean the same thing to a Buddhist doesn't tell me anything. That was established before I asked the question.

Your analogy of "fishsticks" and "atoms" is not valid.  Nobody thinks atoms and fishsticks are the same thing, or analogous, or have similar traits.

I don't think "emptiness" and "everything exists because of other things that exist" are the same thing, analogous or have similar traits. So as I said, he might as well be telling me that "fishsticks" means "everything is made of atoms".

The reason I say you are coming at this from the wrong angle is this:  It appears that you are trying to make BSB reconcile his specific Buddhist definition of "emptiness" with your pre-defined general definition of the word.

What I am trying to do is get a reason why "everything exists because of other things that exist" equals "emptiness". BSB basically said, because it does. That doesn't explain anything.

That a Buddhist might use the word "emptiness" to describe a specific condition that non-Buddhists are unfamiliar with is perfectly rational.

Of course it is. Faulting me for a lack of understanding of the Buddhist idea when the Buddhist won't explain it to me, on the other hand, is not. I do not and would never say to someone, "You need salvation," and then refuse to explain what I mean by "salvation" while I criticize the person for not understanding the concept. Expecting a similar level of such a minimum of respect from others is not unreasonable.

In order to understand that usage, though, the non-Buddhist must not attempt to constrain it to the definitions familiar to them.  It is, by its nature, a new concept and must be approached as such.

I agree completely. Hence the question: how does "everything exists because of other things that exist" equal "emptiness"? To which I was given the reply, "That's what shunyata, emptiness, means." Oddly, I am left with no more understanding of the concept than I had before that reply. Apparently,  "everything exists because of other things that exist" equals "emptiness" because it does.

It may be that the "emptiness" BSB is describing has a positive meaning, such as "lacking strife" or "lacking conflict" or even "lacking significance" which might seem negative in our competitive world but might also be looked on as gaining peace.

Indeed. That may be. But I don't know because he would not say.

For now I will ask you to define what you mean by emptiness.

"Emptiness" is the state of being empty. "Empty" as an adjective generally means not full. In one sense the adjective shares similar meaning with words like "hollow" and "vacant" and "barren". In another sense it can serve as a synonym of "meaningless," "ineffectual" and "purposeless". As a verb, it can mean to deplete, to unload, to clear, to consume, to evacuate. I could go on, but I think (hope) you get the general idea.

If you have similar meanings, perhaps you project them into the meaning you are seeking from shunyata.

I am not projecting anything. I know what "empty" generally means in English. The Buddhist notion of shunyata, as best I can determine, does not fit even the more idiomatic meanings of the word. So I asked for an explanation that would show me why the Buddhists say "everything exists because of other things that exist" equals "emptiness." I did not get one.

I'm not trying to make this contentious. I'm trying to get a direct answer. To say something is this because this is what it is, is not elucidative, helpful, or meaningful in any way. I can get to 'something is this because this is what it is' all by myself. (And have been so able since at least the first grade.) If that is all I wanted or needed, I would not have bothered to ask the question in the first place.

I find a little bit annoying that some people criticize my asking questions as a sign of unwillingness to learn. I do not ask questions for which I do not want answers. I ask questions exactly because I do want answers and do want to understand. I am not afraid of difficult answers. But I am not satisfied with shallow ones. If my questions are hard to answer, the person I am questioning is free at any time to say so. I don't mind. But if all I get is some "it is what it is, kid" answer, I'm not afraid to express my dissatisfaction, and I see no reason why I should be.

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2010, 05:59:25 AM »
I find a little bit annoying that some people criticize my asking questions as a sign of unwillingness to learn. I do not ask questions for which I do not want answers. I ask questions exactly because I do want answers and do want to understand. I am not afraid of difficult answers. But I am not satisfied with shallow ones. If my questions are hard to answer, the person I am questioning is free at any time to say so. I don't mind. But if all I get is some "it is what it is, kid" answer, I'm not afraid to express my dissatisfaction, and I see no reason why I should be.[/color]

This entire post supports my last.  You expect a pat answer that matches your expectation of the meaning of "emptiness."  BSB must reconcile his meaning of the term with your expectation.  He must do it in a manner acceptable to you.  BSB apparently doesn't view this as his responsibility.  I think he is right.

This reminds me of a situation I ran into when I was taking a literature class in college.  There was one man who, in pretty much every session, insisted the instructor give a direct answer to questions about meanings of poems, their quality, etc.  She (the instructor) kept asking the class for their opinions, and would not make a final arbitration on the matter.  I specifically remember him citing Joyce Kilmer's "Trees" as an example of a great poem.  He said "Everyone knows this is a great poem.  It's understood.  Now I want to know if (whatever we were discussing) is a great poem, too."  Her answer was "Do you think it is?"    As it happens, while very popular, "Trees" is not a very good poem. In fact, ironically in the creative writing course I took the next semester the instructor cited that poem as an example of a well-known poem with very little substance.  But she did not call him on that.  She just put the question back to him.  She was trying to teach us how to analyze literature - looking for symbology, metaphor, allegory and such.  She was not concerned with whether we nailed the author's original meaning (which was sometimes obscure anyway).  She WAS interested in whether we could rationally support our interpretation.   She allowed free discussion and didn't shoot down any ideas.  This drove the man crazy.  He was aggressive in his opinions and flat out angry that she would not confirm or shoot down arguments.  He and I frequently clashed with each other about meanings.  I absolutely loved the class - and I learned a ton.  He hated it, and learned very little.  At the end of the semester, we talked about our instructor evals.  I had given her high marks.  He had given her low marks.  His complaint was that she never really taught anything, since she wouldn't give pat answers to questions.  He completely missed the point of the class.

Pretty much every answer you gave in that post quoted your "I am only asking how a = b" construct.  I guess you were trying to hammer home the idea that you just want a simple answer to a simple question.  But I do not think that is the case.  I think you want an answer that reconciles your meaning of emptiness with the concept of shunyata.  You want it given in exactly the format you prescribe.  BSB is a bad teacher, you imply, because he isn't teaching using the method you think appropriate.  But that does not indicate a bad teacher.  It may very well indicate a poor student.  Or it may just indicate a difference in personality between two people.  BSB has provided a link to an explanation of the concept and challenged you to read it.  I haven't taken the time to look yet though I'll probably read it at some point because this conversation has whetted my interest.  But I am not demanding answers - you are.  So if you have read the link, has it answered your question?  If you haven't, why not?  If it hasn't answered your question have you asked follow up questions?  If you haven't looked at that link (and that before your last post) you have failed to fulfill your responsibility in the learning process.  Learn is a verb.  If you have not already looked at the link, it would indicate to me that you are more interested in "winning" the debate than actually learning about the concept.  If that analysis is valid, BSB is right not to engage you in your chosen manner.

Moreover, it may very well be that BSB isn't teaching you the way you want to be taught because that is not the way Buddhism is taught.  Way back in my scouting days we had a concept called "Guided Discovey."  The idea was that you did not directly teach a principle to a boy, but you pointed things out to him and let him make his own discoveries about them.  A person learns far more deeply when he makes a discovery himself than when it is spoon-fed to him by a teacher or textbook.  That's because more senses and thought processes are involved.  I doubt that such lofty concepts as eastern philosophy has developed over millenia can be spoon-fed to someone and make any kind of sense.  Some things need to be experienced to be learned.

There is also a concept that is universal in such debates.  Christ referred to it as "casting pearls before swine."  There are some very sacred things that are difficult to understand without that kind of experience I talked about.  When presented to someone without such experience, they can be an object of ridicule (which is frankly offensive) or completely misunderstood (which can lead the student to reject correct principles on the same basis that"guided discovery" process taught them to accept things).  You can't expect someone to understand trigonometry without first understanding basic arithmetic.  My eldest daughter cannot get math.  It drives her crazy.  She is currently carrying a 3.98 GPA after two years of college and most of her classes she breezes through.  But math she has to struggle with every time.  I didn't understand why this was until she angrily described a problem to me.  "This doesn't make any sense!"  she told me.  Then she showed me the concept that confused her.  It was the condition "greater than or equal to."  She couldn't understand why such a statement needed to be made.  Greater than or equal to three, she reasoned, could just as well be expressed as greater than two.  She ranted and raved for an entire evening about the ridiculousness of this concept.  I tried to explain that there are times when this condition is necessary because of the nature of the problem.  She wouldn't hear it.  I told her it was analogous to the musical idea that sometimes A flat is appropriate and sometimes G sharp is appropriate depending on the key.  She then told me that was ANOTHER example of something that made no sense.  AAARRRGGHH!  Because she had an underlying need for absolute order she insisted (and still does) that these concepts made no sense.  It simply meant they make no sense to her.  Trying to explain them is pointless, because she cannot get beyond the ideal that there should be on pat way to express something to avoid confusion.   She's wrong.  Sometimes there has to be more than one way to express something in order to avoid confusion.

So, at the risk of having them trampled under foot, here are my pearls.  When I read the scriptures, sometimes at first glance they can be pretty obscure.  When I have supplementary texts that provide historical context or footnotes that cross-reference other scripture, I get more sense out of the passage in question.  I use these tools when preparing a class.  I have a lesson manual, my own chosen reference texts, the scriptures themselves and my own experience.  But I have one more tool which is far more important than any of those - including the scriptures.  I have the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  I never read the scriptures without first praying for that guidance.  Invariably, the Spirit opens my eyes to new meanings in scripture - even scriptural passages i have read hundreds of times.  I frequently find myself saying "How could I ever have missed that?"  when such revelations come.  I know the answer, though.  The Spirit only gives such insights when the receipient is ready.  My wife likes to quote something from one of the many books on eastern philosophy she has read:  "When the student is ready the teacher will appear."  The Spirit works that way.  In fact, when I was 37 I had a spiritual revelation so profound it changed my entire life in a way I cannot describe.  It wasn't like "finding Jesus" or converting to another religion - I had already had those experiences much earlier.  It was more like "finding myself" and this is one of those occasions where words truly do fail.  I can say that this occurred while in prayer, and was a direct revelation.  It took me over four years to put my life back on an even keel or to even begin to trust myself again.  It lead me on a path that even included rejection of God for a period while I reevaluated.  In a way that is very difficult to explain, I knew that God knew that I needed to reject him as part of the reevaluation process.  There is so much about forgiveness and love in that experience that I can never touch in words.  I would never even try.  It would make no sense, or at least seem trivial and silly to some if I just expressed it in words.  Nobody could possibly understand it but me - even those who have had similar experiences - because it was specific to me.  This is the height of the concept of personal revelation.  

Now the ability to access that kind of spiritual experience informs my learning and my teaching.  As I have taught, I have had more access granted - even to the point of visions.  I know that immediately brings thoughts of the psycho ward to some.  That's the "pearls before swine" part.  I am not talking about seeing God in His Glory or strange creatures with "666" stenciled on their foreheads.  I am talking about very short but very spiritual journeys to places I need to go.  I did not really believe that kind of thing was accessible to me.  But I have found in the last couple of years that it is.  Further, I had sacred experiences in the temple of God that I would never discuss outside of it.  Someone who has attained the point of entering the temple will understand what I mean when I talk about the general experience, but could still never understand the specifics - and wouldn't try.  This is why we do not discuss the things that go on in the temple.  There are some who have published the temple rituals (and some are amazingly inaccurate, which is kind of weird anyway) but they have only revealed the physical.  It's like saying "Christians eat bread and drink water or wine in church."  To an outsider that just seems like a really bad snack.  You would have to understand the origin of the sacrament, the symbolism behind the bread and water and the relationship it refers to before you would begin to "get" the concept.  What happens in the temple is incomparable to what happens in the world, and many outsiders view our "secretiveness" about it as some kind of weird, cultish thing or a desire to hide some dark ritual.  And some insist, much as you do about "emptiness" that we explain in concrete terms these experiences.  We just can't - they must be arrived at gradually and individually - but we are usually dismissed as being unable to explain the concepts which makes them obviously false and foolish.  

The ability to discern the teachings of the Holy Spirit begins at a much lower level - or perhaps it is better to say an earlier point - in a spiritual journey.  Anyone who will exercise a very little portion of faith can ask of God and receive answers.  It is so easy and natural, but for those without faith it can seem silly.  Trying to describe even that experience, though, is very difficult when talking to those without faith.  I have heard it described as like trying to explain "red" to a blind man.  There is just no frame of reference.   Joseph Smith once described the experience as a "burning in the breast."  That is a woefully inadequate description, and that from a prophet of God, but those who have the experience get the reference.  When I began to try to explain that to my skeptical brother, he quickly cut me off and said "So you changed religions because you got heartburn?"  That kind of conversation is not only offensive, but pointless.  Why try when a person is at that point?  When I bowed out of the conversation he accused me of being unable to rationally support my arguments and running away from a challenge.  How do you argue with that mindset?  There is no idea in the world that a determined skeptic cannot convince himself is unsupportable.  

To bring this rambling road back to its intended course, I believe you have fixated on the idea that "emptiness" could not possibly equate to "interdependence of existence" and you simply will not be moved until someone can put together the right kinds of words to reconcile your understanding of those terms.  In short, you will not be moved until someone moves you - and that is impossible because you have put up impenetrable intellectual barriers.  Whatever BSB's shortcomings may or may not be as a teacher or a person, I believe it is not his lack of ability to teach on this issue that is the problem.  It is your lack of ability to learn on this issue.  That is completely a matter of will on your part, because you lack no other quality necessary for learning.  

I intended to post my ideas on the issue of emptiness last night before I feel asleep, but I am not sure that is such a good idea now.  I might better be able to express a potential relationship in terms acceptable to you than BSB can at this point, but that may well be offensive to him, or it may be so far off the mark that - if it moves you at all - it takes you further away from the meaning intended by Buddhism instead of closer and does both you and Buddhism a disservice.  Plus that would be just one more longwinded Pooch post that bores most people and burdens everyone else.  So I'll just keep my tortured analysis to myself at least for now.

The sad part about this late-night diatribe is that I just got up to pee.  Now I  have to again.  Stupid old age.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 06:21:03 AM by Stray Pooch »
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2010, 12:51:56 PM »
I am thinking that while fishsticks are undeniably MADE of atoms, this does not suggest that the inverse( everything that is made of atoms is a fishstick)  is true.

I think that it is unreasonable to say that "emptiness" means the same thing as "everything is interconnected" without a rather more serious explanation is just confusing.

I have long ago concluded that old age does not make you need to pee more often: it just makes you feel you need to pee more often.

It would be logical for the organ that makes you feel a desire to pee would become less insistent over the years, but this is not the case. This is another seeming paradox.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."