Author Topic: Why do we debate like fools?  (Read 6055 times)

BSB

Re: Why do we debate like fools?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 12:35:59 PM »
No, XO, I didn't know what ZAMM stood for. I knew about the book, just never heard it refered to as ZAMM. 

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 08:18:30 PM »
I have never made a claim to be a Christian....
==================================
No, you just use the name "Christians for Less Government" as a name on this forum, as though you (a) consider yourself a Christian, and (b) believe that somehow Jesus was God's version of Grover Norquist.

Suit yourself.

And observe that the US is no closer to a war with Iran than it was the first time you started cheerleading for one.

It would be a really, really bad idea, I think.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 08:48:27 PM »
I can certainly relate to all that Pooch. Things that seemed important 10-15 years ago, don't seem
nearly as pressing today. Sometimes there are just more important things to do and also sometimes we all
need time away from this place. Some leave never to be heard from again, some return to get back in the
ring, and some like you stop in to say "hello". I hate to hear about your diabetes...thats what killed my Dad.
I hear exercise is the key to staving off the devastation of diabetes. Of course we all know the benefits
of exercise....I need to do more myself. Here's wishing you good health and hoping you will find the time
to stop in more often.....even a post every week or two from Poochie will be part of the solution!

Thanks forthe kind words, CU4.  I don't know if exercising my brain will help any, but that's about all I'm getting these days :D
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 08:54:21 PM »
I don't have any idea what ZAMM is, pooch, but conditioned existence, or "emptiness", is a 2500 year old Buddhist teaching. 

Sorry about that.  I had mentioned the text in my initial post and failed to consider the disconnect in context.  I'm old and lazy. 

My point is this. While your point about the posts in here quickly turning into mindless drivel is of course well taken, the remedy would involve a lot more people manning up then just me and MT. There are some serious trash talkers in here and its been allowed to go on for years. Any analysis of the problem, and attempt to correct it, has to go a lot deeper, and involve a lot more then me and snowblower. Unfortunately your approach to the problem isn't going to produce that kind of result. It was a very shallow, and lacking, critique.

I think we are less in disagreement than your response seems to indicate you think.  But honestly, the post was more a lament than a call to action - and I really wasn't aiming it at you.  If I really thought I could solve the personality clashes and flame wars in here I would expend that magic power somewhere in the middle east.

Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 09:27:47 PM »
No, you just use the name "Christians for Less Government" as a name on this forum, as though
you (a) consider yourself a Christian, (b)

XO because in the political realm I support conservative Christians that are for less government
is obviously not a complete explanation of my personal spirtual beliefs. Captain Kirk...Pigeon-Hole REJECTED!
Again...in my opinion Christians and like-minded people can support wars with slave owners, Hitler, IslamoNazis
without compromising their ideals.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 01:36:13 AM »

believe that somehow Jesus was God's version of Grover Norquist.

I'd ask you to show me where Jesus advocated ever larger government, but I already know you cannot.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2010, 02:18:25 AM »
Js seemed to frequetly perpetuate that theory.  IIRC, it had to do with how Jesus advocated that we have this "moral obligation to take care of our brother".  SOMEHOW that translated into the notion that someone else take care of another.....mandatorily, as necessary.  And thus the Government was needed to help "facilitate" that moral obligation.  Something along those lines.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle