Author Topic: You've got to be frellin kidding me  (Read 3270 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
You've got to be frellin kidding me
« on: June 23, 2010, 02:45:57 PM »
Federal Gov't Halts Sand Berm Dredging

NEW ORLEANS -- The federal government is shutting down the dredging that was being done to create protective sand berms in the Gulf of Mexico.

The berms are meant to protect the Louisiana coastline from oil. But the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Department has concerns about where the dredging is being done.

Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser, who was one of the most vocal advocates of the dredging plan, has sent a letter to President Barack Obama, pleading for the work to continue.

Nungesser said the government has asked crews to move the dredging site two more miles farther off the coastline.

"Once again, our government resource agencies, which are intended to protect us, are now leaving us vulnerable to the destruction of our coastline and marshes by the impending oil," Nungesser wrote to Obama. "Furthermore, with the threat of hurricanes or tropical storms, we are being put at an increased risk for devastation to our area from the intrusion of oil.

Nungesser has asked for the dredging to continue for the next seven days, the amount of time it would take to move the dredging operations two miles and out resume work.

Work is scheduled to halt at midnight Wednesday.

The California dredge located off the Chandelier Islands has pumped more than 50,000 cubic yards of material daily to create a sand berm, according to Plaquemines Parish officials.

Nungesser's letter includes an emotional plea to the president.

"Please don't let them shut this dredge down," he wrote. "This requires your immediate attention!"

Obama apparently targeting more than just AZ
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: You've got to be frellin kidding me
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 02:51:27 PM »
Feds halt berm-building dredging off Louisiana coast
June 23, 2010 by Ed Morrissey 

Yesterday, Senator George LeMieux told me in an exclusive interview that the Gulf response is still chaotic, with no clear idea of anyone being in charge or having a clear plan.  States have begun bypassing the feds in responding to the spill; in Florida, the state rented skimmers to keep oil from getting to their beaches after the Obama administration dragged their feet on supplying them.  The feds did start building sand berms to keep the oil out of Louisiana wetlands, but late yesterday they blocked those efforts to save the Louisiana coast:

The federal government is shutting down the dredging that was being done to create protective sand berms in the Gulf of Mexico.

The berms are meant to protect the Louisiana coastline from oil. But the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Department has concerns about where the dredging is being done.

If the federal government has ?concerns? over the location of the dredging, then they should have made that decision immediately.  After all, they have had 64 days now in which to react to the disaster by building these berms themselves.  Governor Bobby Jindal has been shouting about this very issue since almost the first days of the crisis, along with skimmers, boom, and all sorts of other efforts.

Now, more than two months after the spill started, the government is still vacillating on the precise location from to dredge, a decision that should have been made in hours, not months.  It?s yet another example of a lack of leadership and engagement on this crisis.  Instead of throwing every available resource at the spill, the people in charge are debating the finer points of sand dredging as the oil washes up on shore.  It?s as if this is a  theoretical construct in a graduate-school bull session rather than a real-world disaster requiring actual leadership and decisiveness.

The president of Plaquemines Parish is begging the government to continue its dredging efforts in the seven days it will take to relocate to new positions.  With hurricane season on the horizon, the issue of berms becomes even more urgent.  It would be nice if the Obama administration acted as if they understood that.  Failing that, maybe they should just get out of the way and let Louisiana do what they know is necessary, because that appears to be the only way anything is getting done in the Gulf.

Trying to "shake down" the states as well as BP, now?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 03:03:45 PM »
the well just busted open, killed 2 people and is spewing more oil than ever. screw the berms, they aren't needed anyway. imagine had they drilled in shallow water how easy this would have been to fix. what morons liberals are.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 03:32:36 PM »
imagine had they drilled in shallow water how easy this would have been to fix.

I`m pretty sure that doesn`t make a lick of sense

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 03:52:52 PM »
A lick of sense to liberal Government and the envirometal lobby perhaps.  In reality, it makes all the sense in the world

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 03:55:10 PM »
imagine had they drilled in shallow water how easy this would have been to fix.

I`m pretty sure that doesn`t make a lick of sense

come again

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 04:01:57 PM »
the decision making for where it`s drilled might not depend on whats easy to fix.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 04:34:43 PM »
The decision is frequently made by where they can't (drill)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 04:39:55 PM »
the decision making for where it`s drilled might not depend on whats easy to fix.

you need to wake up from that snooze and look around. I hope you are buying that load of crap that all the places to drill for oil have disappeared and what's left is way out in the ocean miles deep.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 05:45:12 PM »
I look at it by economics.

is it worth paying more money  ,by drilling in plan sight or less money drilling furthur away.

plain sight means taking financial responsibility for income lost from local economy.

oil rigs are rarely tourist draws.

tourism and fishing are multi-billion dollar businesses.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 06:08:25 PM »

is it worth paying more money  ,by drilling in plan sight or less money drilling furthur away.

plain sight means taking financial responsibility for income lost from local economy.

yeah I know look what the hell this drilling 'further' away has done for fishing and tourism. what do you have to say now?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »

Interesting that you apply economics, Kimba.  Lemme see, miles of piping and construction, in water over a mile deep, and oil that was discovered about 5 miles deep + the obligations of trying to apply safety standards to aquiring oil that deep, with the potential (now seen as real) catastrophic consequences of a major clean-up = $$$$$$$$   vs piping & construction of a fraction of the cost to the company (much shorter length pipes & equipment) + much greater ability at applying both the safety inspections and clean-up containment, in the event of a spill = $$

Again, I think you're looking at decision making on where to drill, NOT from that of the oil companies, but by those dictating where they can't

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 06:30:36 PM »
Interesting that you apply economics, Kimba.  Lemme see, miles of piping and construction, in water over a mile deep, and oil that was discovered about 5 miles deep + the obligations of trying to apply safety standards to aquiring oil that deep, with the potential (now seen as real) catastrophic consequences of a major clean-up = $$$$$$$$   vs piping & construction of a fraction of the cost to the company (much shorter length pipes & equipment) + much greater ability at applying both the safety inspections and clean-up containment, in the event of a spill = $$

you did not factor immediate cost of drilling closer to the shore. remember local economy cost.

after the fact it looks like peanuts, but at the time to decide where to drill thats alot of money  going to something thast produce no income for the company

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 07:14:53 PM »
The immediate cost of drilling closer to shore is much less cost to the company, as it requires much less hardware, piping, drilling, etc.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 07:42:52 PM »
your still not factoring the cost of doing business in that specific area not just the material cost. it`s very presense is a income lost to several businesses.