Author Topic: McChrystal fired.....Obama picks Petraeus for Afghanistan  (Read 11858 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
McChrystal fired.....Obama picks Petraeus for Afghanistan
« on: June 23, 2010, 03:33:59 PM »
probably a good thing....

we need a Patton, Norman Schwarzkopf, Tommy Franks, Petraeus type
fighting the IslamoNazis that gave shelter to Bin Laden!

McChrystal out; Petraeus picked for Afghanistan

Associated Press Writers Jennifer Loven And Anne Gearan - 10 mins ago

WASHINGTON: President Barack Obama ousted Gen. Stanley McChrystal as the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan on Wednesday, saying that his scathing published remarks about administration officials undermine civilian control of the military and erode the needed trust on the president's war team.

Obama named McChrystal's direct boss Gen. David Petraeus to take over the troubled 9-year-old war in Afghanistan. He asked the Senate to confirm Petraeus for the new post "as swiftly as possible."

The president said he did not make the decision to accept McChrystal's resignation over any disagreement in policy or "out of any sense of personal insult." Flanked by Vice President Joe Biden, Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, in the Rose Garden, he said: "I believe it is the right decision for our national security."

Obama hit several gracious notes about McChrystal and his service, saying that he made the decision to sack him "with considerable regret." And yet, said he said that the job in Afghanistan cannot be done now under McChrystal's leadership, asserting that the critical remarks from the general and his inner circle in the Rolling Stone magazine article displayed conduct that doesn't live up to the necessary standards for a command-level officer.

Obama seemed to suggest that McChrystal's military career is over, including in his praise of the general that the nation should be grateful "for his remarkable career in uniform."

McChrystal left the White House following his Oval Office call to accounts, and returned to his military quarters at Washington's Fort McNair. A senior military official said there is no immediate decision about whether he would retire from the Army, which has been his entire career. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100623/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_mcchrystal
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: McChrystal fired.....Obama picks Petraeus for Afghanistan
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 04:41:29 PM »
Obama made an excellent choice...and yes he may take heat
from the Left that called the General "Be-Tray-Us"...but Obama
went with the best....there really shouldn't be hardly any drop-off
or learning curve because Petraeus has been very involved
with Afghanistan since he was McChrystal's boss. Petraeus
knows the region and power-players in the region. With the
Afghan offensive about to really ramp up there was no time
for someone to be on a learning curve....with Petraeus
there will be almost no learning curve. Good call Obama!

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 04:44:15 PM »
when the Senate voted to condemn that despicable ad by Moveon.org guess who didn't vote? Your president.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 04:47:31 PM »
interesting video of then Senator Obama questioning
General Petraeus back in 2007 about the surge

IRAQ HEARINGS: Sen. Obama Questions Gen. Petraeus

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 04:51:21 PM »
You mean about the "failure" of Iraq and the surge specifically?  I wonder whatever happened with that?         ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 04:58:01 PM »
I guess this means obama was wrong about the surge

not to mention wrong about the stimulus

wrong about health care

wrong about bank bale-outs

wrong about the Cambridge cop

wrong about everything he does

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 05:03:17 PM »
naaaaaaaaaaa, that can't be true
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 05:39:42 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 05:38:41 PM »
like I said he isn't qualified to shine the generals shoes.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 06:15:09 PM »
<<like I said he isn't qualified to shine the generals shoes.>>

Who gives a shit?  From now on, McChrystal can shine his own fucking shoes.   Though he won't really need to, cuz my common sense tells me that insubordinate little prick won't be in the military much longer.  Here's the bottom line: the general was way out of line and Obama canned his ass.  Looks like there's hope for Obama yet, he seems to be growing a pair on the job.

Looking further down the road, when Petraeus comes up empty-handed after two more years of this shit and the Taliban appear to be stronger than ever both in Afghanistan and Pakistan, Obama may actually have the balls to tell Petraeus, "OK, Big Fella, yer time's up.  No more extensions and no more men, we've heard enough of yer bullshit and now it's time to pull the plug on this fiasco which we woulda done two years ago if we hadn't listened to yer fuckin bullshit."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 06:18:21 PM »
LOL....and where does that buck stop again??

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 07:46:55 PM »
There was one other comment I meant to make about the McChrystal firing.

I was really disgusted when Obama had said that no final decision would be made before he had first spoken to McChrystal personally.  There was no need to speak to the guy, since insubordination by a seasoned veteran of mature years is not the same thing as insubordination by a spirited young student who might need nothing more than a good talking-to to straighten him out.

The insubordination was so gross that there was nothing that McChrystal could possibly have said that would have excused or mitigated the offence.  Therefore I had feared that the "talking-to" that Obama was about to give was just something to provide him with an excuse for not firing the guy, a way of looking stern and tough while actually caving in to the military.

While I still think it was very stupid and weak of Obama not to have fired McChrystal outright, and even more so to announce that no decision would be made before he had spoken with McChrystal personally, he did not disappoint as I had feared in his final decision.  At the end of the day, Obama "manned up" and took the only step that could have been taken in the circumstances consistent with the dignity of his office.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 07:49:18 PM »
<<like I said he isn't qualified to shine the generals shoes.>>

Who gives a shit?  From now on, McChrystal can shine his own fucking shoes.   Though he won't really need to, cuz my common sense tells me that insubordinate little prick won't be in the military much longer.  Here's the bottom line: the general was way out of line and Obama canned his ass.  Looks like there's hope for Obama yet, he seems to be growing a pair on the job.

Looking further down the road, when Petraeus comes up empty-handed after two more years of this shit and the Taliban appear to be stronger than ever both in Afghanistan and Pakistan, Obama may actually have the balls to tell Petraeus, "OK, Big Fella, yer time's up.  No more extensions and no more men, we've heard enough of yer bullshit and now it's time to pull the plug on this fiasco which we woulda done two years ago if we hadn't listened to yer fuckin bullshit."

you talk like a tough man -- look at the mans credentials and then tell him that to his face.