Author Topic: McChrystal fired.....Obama picks Petraeus for Afghanistan  (Read 11859 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: McChrystal fired.....Obama picks Petraeus for Afghanistan
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 08:02:48 PM »
Notice how Tee is trying to give Obama credit for supposedly being "consistent with the dignity of his office", in response to his slip-up, by demonstrating his opinion of the continuing failure of Afghanistan as a failure of his military, and not a failure of Obama as CnC.  A buck-stopping tactic he'd be portraying 24/7 if this were a Republican President.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 08:05:46 PM »
<<you talk like a tough man -- look at the mans credentials and then tell him that to his face. >>

So you think that the President should be intimidated by the credentials of one of his officers?

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 08:11:48 PM »
<<you talk like a tough man -- look at the mans credentials and then tell him that to his face. >>

So you think that the President should be intimidated by the credentials of one of his officers?

I think obama should be intimidated by the vast majority of American people and his counterparts all over the world. Prior to being elected president he was a Community Organizer and got where he got because he's black and had Affirmative Action help. Plus he's a shitty golfer and improving his game seems to be his highest priority behind ruining this country.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 11:22:47 PM »
I'll try again, Kramer.

Here's what you said:  <<you talk like a tough man -- look at the mans credentials and then tell him that to his face. >>

And here's what I asked you in response:  <<So you think that the President should be intimidated by the credentials of one of his officers?>>

Can you answer my question or not?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 11:48:45 PM »
I think Obama over reacted and seemed petty.

But ...

The general was speaking truth to power , not a generals job.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 11:50:45 PM »
I'll try again, Kramer.

Here's what you said:  <<you talk like a tough man -- look at the mans credentials and then tell him that to his face. >>

And here's what I asked you in response:  <<So you think that the President should be intimidated by the credentials of one of his officers?>>

yes because he knows he's in way over his head and he knows the general knows it too.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 01:17:44 AM »
I think this is REALLY simple. McChrystal overstepped big time. NO Commander in Chief should take it. And I don't care who the Commander in Chief is - Bush, Obama, or other. There are also bigger ramifications of the kind of attitude that McChrystal displayed other than wounded "dignity" - there is the morale of the troops and the attitude of the soldiers out there doing their jobs. These things do trickle down.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 02:08:08 AM »
<<yes [the President of the U.S.A. should be intimidated by the credentials of one of his officers] because he knows he's in way over his head and he knows the general knows it too.>>

Wrong answer, Kramer.  Goes against a fundamental principle: civilian control of the military.  NO military man, however impressive his credentials, can ever get away with what McChrystal did.  Douglas MacArthur, a five-star General of the Army, had credentials that would make McChrystal look like a punk in comparison, but even he could not and did not get away with insubordination to the President.  

It's really a shame that you don't understand why.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 11:35:29 AM »
I'll try again, Kramer.

Oh, the absurd hypocrisy of such a demand
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 11:52:20 AM »
I think this is REALLY simple. McChrystal overstepped big time. NO Commander in Chief should take it. And I don't care who the Commander in Chief is - Bush, Obama, or other. There are also bigger ramifications of the kind of attitude that McChrystal displayed other than wounded "dignity" - there is the morale of the troops and the attitude of the soldiers out there doing their jobs. These things do trickle down.

once again obama's instincts are wrong. He should have left the general in place. his poll numbers will go further down. he's an idiot.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 12:41:29 PM »

The President was elected to run this country by a majority of its voting citizens. The general is a hireling. This country has a civilian government. If the general is permitted to mock his leaders (a court martial offense, by the way) then his subordinates can, by the same justification, mock him, and so on and so on, right down to the lowliest private.

"Dig the damn latrine yourself, Sarge!"

McChrystal should know this by now, and he DID apologize. This demonstrates that he is more aware of how it all works than Kramer (not a difficult chore). But that was too late. McChrystal has been McChrystallized. Now he can go and write his book. Thanks to Palin, the bar has been lowered for rightwing ratbag claptrap. He can easily outdo her.

If Kramer has any employees, I really hope the moon him in unison. I really doubt this, because I suspect that Kramer is typing all this nonsense from 4th period detention, where he was sent for doing something stupid, ie acting like Kramer.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 12:55:48 PM »
The President was elected to run this country by a majority of its voting citizens. The general is a hireling. This country has a civilian government. If the general is permitted to mock his leaders (a court martial offense, by the way) then his subordinates can, by the same justification, mock him, and so on and so on, right down to the lowliest private.

Except Gates recommended that McCrystal stay on.

Obama and his team deserved to be mocked and it should be looked into the reason they cannot get along with the military.

Obama was not prepared for his meeting with McCrystal and he did not have a grasp of the situation in Afghanistan. It took him forever to decide what to do there. He dithered while our boys were dying.

And he fired McCrystal simply because he has thin skin.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 12:59:32 PM »
No one elected Gates. Gates is a hireling, and I have nort read where Gates recommended this, so I will consider the possibility that you made this up. 

McChrystal was useless as a commander once he mouthed off. Bush canned an Admiral for the same reasons.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 01:07:45 PM »
McCrystal never mouthed off. His aides did. Rather than firing McCrystal, his concerns need to be looked into. Why wasn't Obama prepared for his meeting with McCrystal? Why did he treat it as a photo op when our boys are dying? Why does Obama seem intimidated in front of our military leaders? 

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 01:13:42 PM »
Defense Secretary Robert Gates backed keeping Gen. Stanley McChrystal on the job because he was vital to the war effort in Afghanistan, but he was overruled, a senior Pentagon official told CNN?s Barbara Starr.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/24/pentagon-official-gates-wanted-to-keep-mcchrystal/

---------

It was just a quote to Rolling Stone magazine, which I have never read in my life. Obama fired him simply because he has thin skin.